Should I put my gas tank.....there?

grzzzz

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Should I put my gas tank.....there?

My tank does not set right on the bottom of the boat. The tank has a "flat" in it's form to prevent interference with drainage. I laid lines of close cell foam, about 2" strip on the ribs to keep the tank off the Al then stuffed all around the tank with flotation foam. I did not use spray in, expanding, foam because it was used on the boat before and it was hell getting it out for my resto and there was all kinds of trapped water. There is no way water drained from all parts of the floor. I put a lot of extra weight on the back of the boat during my restor. Dual battery system, 90lbs kicker, live well ....... The tank had to go quite a bit forward to get close to the Starcraft factory CG with all the weight I put in the back. It actually worked out well fore it put the filler and vent hoses close to the front deck...where I installed them.

Grzzzz

sutor623

Rear Admiral

That would be a great move if you can get a tank sub deck in a 16 footer. Many guys have tried but it's tough to do as there is so little room under there, eh.

Good luck!

Man Im shaping the floor pieces tonight. I am going to hold off on setting the floor until I figure out exactly what I want to do. There is not a whole lot of room to work with. I got a quote from an online custom tank builder and they want $375 plus shipping for a 15 gallon belly tank that would fit perfectly. Now that I am putting a 75hp E-rude on the back of the boat it also has me questioning if I should go a bit bigger in the fuel storage department. And not to mention, if I want to fork out $400 for a gas tank. I am however, really tired of messing with portable tanks. Being a fisherman, the last thing I want to do before a fishing trip is get fuel on my hands. Any input fellers?

sutor623

Rear Admiral

I know right! But to be honest with you I really do like the idea of a fill spout coming out of the side of my boat. And I really hate porpoising. I am getting power tilt and trim hoping that will help, but I still think I am going to need to get the weight out of the stern. And I do not want trim tabs because I like side imaging.

sutor623

Rear Admiral

My tank does not set right on the bottom of the boat. The tank has a "flat" in it's form to prevent interference with drainage. I laid lines of close cell foam, about 2" strip on the ribs to keep the tank off the Al then stuffed all around the tank with flotation foam. I did not use spray in, expanding, foam because it was used on the boat before and it was hell getting it out for my resto and there was all kinds of trapped water. There is no way water drained from all parts of the floor. I put a lot of extra weight on the back of the boat during my restor. Dual battery system, 90lbs kicker, live well ....... The tank had to go quite a bit forward to get close to the Starcraft factory CG with all the weight I put in the back. It actually worked out well fore it put the filler and vent hoses close to the front deck...where I installed them.

Grzzzz

It seems like a great concept to me. But I think that tank is 22" wide. I really only have 18" TOPS width in the middle of the boat to fit a tank in. I am thinking of modifying the flooring structure a bit so that I can work that tank that you have into my floor. Ill get some pictures up tomorrow and see what you guys think about my ideas.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Keep an eye on craigslist, I see nice alum tanks pop up from time to time for in the 50 bux range.

Or you could find a rotted out glass boat with a nice tank in it. What you do with the glasser is up to you:eyebrows:

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Yup, pretty typical, shotty work,lol If you notice there is a pvc drain pipe in the front, at the keel. Most boats have this to drain water from the bow to the stern or from anchor locker to the stern. Also if you notice, there is room around that pipe where there was not any insulation. Most tanks by building regulations have to be completely sealed off by bulkheads etc. They will not have a drain directly from the fuel tank area because it can lead to a fire hazard if the fuel tank ever leaks. Thats why drains like pvc are used to go under the tank at the keel. The only part of the boat that should not drain to the stern is the fuel tank coffin.

Yup, pretty typical, shotty work,
I'm sure you meant shoddy design, the workmanship from the factory on that Wellcraft is exceptional compared to most others.

I don't see a PVC pipe in that pic, could you point it out? A pvc drain pipe running through the fuel compartment is a good idea, but how many factory installations have them? none that I can remember seeing.

So what does the belly tank installation look like on that Chris Craft? Have you ever seen it? Got any pics?

I laid lines of close cell foam, about 2" strip on the ribs to keep the tank off the Al then stuffed all around the tank with flotation foam. I did not use spray in, expanding, foam because it was used on the boat before and it was hell getting it out for my resto and there was all kinds of trapped water.

In case you don't realize it, expanding urethane foam is used in belly tank installations for a few different reasons. One of the reason being it is gasoline resistant. Should your tank ever develop a leak and leak on to your sheet foam it will melt/dissolve and turn into a jellied goo which will not support your tank.

chriscraft254

Commander

I'm sure you meant shoddy design, the workmanship from the factory on that Wellcraft is exceptional compared to most others.

I don't see a PVC pipe in that pic, could you point it out? A pvc drain pipe running through the fuel compartment is a good idea, but how many factory installations have them? none that I can remember seeing.

So what does the belly tank installation look like on that Chris Craft? Have you ever seen it? Got any pics?

wellcraft_zps53eaf4b9-1.jpg

Op, sorry if this is a derail of sorts.

Wellcrafts are pretty well made boats but I did mean shoddy work. The one area they should have had foam for sure is around the fuel lines that lead to another compartment to keep it a sealed coffin for the tank. (yellow) Can't really tell from the pic, but it looks like they didn't fiberglass the edges there either.

The bow area was where I thought I was seeing the pvc, because alot of times they are wrapped in fiberglass. (red) Looking closer,looks like that is the forward keel not a drain. The only place you would need them really is from the forwrd to the stern bulkheads around the tank. The rest can just be drained normally with cut out drains through bulkheads and stringrs.

The (blue) lines are where not one, but two pvc pipes should be run under the tank from the forward bulkhead where the curve of the hull meets the bulkhead to the backside bulkhead of the tank. One on each side of the keel if it runs aftward all the way to the stern of tank. From there it can be drained back as the rest of the boat is with drainage holes (Green) next to the stringers until you reach the bilge. If it is a boat without a raised center keel, it will only require on drain under the tank. The pvc can be as small as 1 1/4" in size because all it is really draining is the two most forward areas. Its also a good idea to put an access hatch in the floor above the drains so you can hose/clean them out over time with water pressure or air.

The Light blue L shaped lines are brackets that should be welded to a fuel tank for mounting solid to stringers. You will find this done on alot of custom larger boats for sure. The idea is to not to have to use foam, thus giving air flow around the fuel tank.

Some obviously use foam to secure the tank and I agree it keeps it solid but its not the only way of doing things.. What I don't agree with is that it should be filled all the way to the bottom of the hull around the tank. There are lots of variables here, if the drainage pvc is put in under the tank and no moisture is allowed into the tank coffin via inspection hatch or coffin lid, there should never be any wet foam in or around the tank to begin with. But something no one ever seems to think about is condensation. Thats why I vote for no foam around a fuel tank.

Simply put, the foam is a quik, cheap and easy way for manufactures to install fuel tanks in small vessels. The problem is, they cut corners on everything to save money. If your going to use foam around a metal tank, the tank should be coal tar epoxied first, then foam installed. The inspection plate or coffin lid dependingon the layout, should be completely sealed as to not let water ever get into the foam or that compartment. If its a plastic tank, atleast coat your connections that are metal.

You asked about my boat, yes it has two drains from the front that goes all the way to the stern from the (factory). I found them when I purposely opened up an access hole in the floor of my cabin. There is one on each side of the keel. My tank like many has foam around the tank and shotty work like many others. Your in luck because you will be able to see for yourself because I will be pulling my tank this winter because it is 21 years old and needs to be checked. I'm hoping to be able to coal tar it and reinstall but we will see. Will be pulling it in the next couple weeks.

Let me be clear to, I didn't mean to say most boats have pvc drains, most have drainage from the bow to the stern though wether it be pvc or just a drainage channel, it serves the same purpose. I have also seen where the front is built so that the drainage from the front compartments drains to the outside of the stringers around the tank instead of going under the tank. The main reason in alot of boats for the forward drainage is for anchor lockers. These will always have some water because of wet anchor lines.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

When I asked for an example, I meant pics of actual belly tanks boxes with thru drain pipe installations... I understand the concept, but have yet to see one in any of the restorations on here that was installed from the factory.

Relying on limber hole drainage is part of the pee-poor design I was talking about. It requires the keel to fill with enough water to drain through the limber holes and leaves standing water at the fore bulkhead of the belly tank box.