Wooden Sail Catamaran

cpenrose

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm taking a break for the fleetform for a sec. My buddy asked me about building a sail cat for his lake and maybe for a little bay use. I'm figuring this can' be too difficult to design.At first I was going to do stitch and glue but I cant because I will have two pieces of ply along the width of the pontoons since they only sell ply in 8 ft and we want 12. I know the reason is confusng possibly but I cant explain it. So I guess I'll just do ply on frame. I was planning on doing the mast out of 1-1/2 to 2 in PVC, the boom out of 1 in, and the sail a tarp :) The trampoline I'm lost, a real one is probably too expensive. I might just weave some thin nylon paracord. The crossbeams connecting the toons will be removable, they'll either be 2x4s or PVC. I'm actually planning on this being finished with a coat or two of epoxy and a good ol red white and blue paint job with stars on the sail by Sunday... Heres the sketch, Whadda ya guys think.
Catamaran2_zps29f778ac.png

cpenrose

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Wooden Sail Catamaran

By the way the dimensions of the pontoons are 12'x1'x1'

jbcurt00

Staff member

I'm actually planning on this being finished with a coat or two of epoxy and a good ol red white and blue paint job with stars on the sail by Sunday...

It's Monday EST, how's this project shaping up?

BTW: They do sell 12' ply, just not at HD or Lowes. There are several methods to make 12' long pieces of ply from 4X8 sheets. Many are posted here at iboats.

SCARF :)

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Ahh...The exuberance of youth!!!! I THINK I remember it:confused: