My Rustoleum paint Job. + new seats

1979checkmate

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello all. Just thought i would stop by and share my latest project. Boat is a 1979 Checkmate Trimate II. Was painted with the roll and tip technique using thinned gloss black rustoleum and majic hardener from TSC. The red was taped off and sprayed with a rustoleum rattlecan. also some pics of new rear seats i built and upholstered (no-sew)

386587_10151161365236682_980356095_n.jpg
582459_10151161365176682_240271330_n.jpg
400101_10151161365296682_1693838417_n.jpg
734167_10151161365356682_166497775_n.jpg
481357_10151161365676682_722268449_n.jpg

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Re: My Rustoleum paint Job. + new seats

Dude!... your boat has gills!

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Your project looks real good!

Looks like you put some time into it.

1979checkmate

Petty Officer 1st Class

Your project looks real good!

Looks like you put some time into it.

I'm home for Christmas break for a month and drive myself crazy sitting around the house. Have to stay busy! what you see is 6-8 hr/day for the past two weeks, 5ish days a week

jbcurt00

Staff member

Hey, I may not love the colors, but you did a great job shooting it! It looks fabulous, and if you & your's like the combo, great! Well done!

The raised fiberglass areas weren't contrasted in gel originally? It doesn't look like it in your 1st pix, but it does look like they might have been covered w/ vinyl/sticker/decals:

attachment.php

Did the hardener bring up the sheen/gloss level on the black? It often does... And you did wear an iso rated respirator when shooting the paint w/ hardener? Correct?

The merc getting similar attention & paint?

Seats all look good too, nice job!

1979checkmate

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey, I may not love the colors, but you did a great job shooting it! It looks fabulous, and if you & your's like the combo, great! Well done!

The raised fiberglass areas weren't contrasted in gel originally? It doesn't look like it in your 1st pix, but it does look like they might have been covered w/ vinyl/sticker/decals:

attachment.php

Did the hardener bring up the sheen/gloss level on the black? It often does...

The merc getting similar attention & paint?

Seats all look good too, nice job!

the raised areas were not originally contrasted in color. The original colors were a metalic black with a metallic red strip that went ~6" below and above the rub rail. The original gel is very pretty when it's in good shape. However, this boat spent way too many years neglected under the sun. The gel was sadly beyond saving. Also, i do like the colors, but i also chose the colors because the original title has the original colors on it and i did not want to run into issues with that discrepancy if and when i sell the boat. i believe the hardener brought out some more gloss, but it is hard to say as i do not have anything to compare it to without hardener. Also, it has yet to be buffed, going to wait at least 30 days before hitting it with a buffer and polishing compound. That was my first ever go at building/upholstering seats but i am very satisfied with the results- for an amateur. Funny you should ask about the motor, the cowlings are sitting in my garage now waiting to be stripped. Thank's for your kind words!

dozerII

Admiral

Great job checkmate. There is no better way to spent winter time off than working on a boat.

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

Very respectable job you did on that baby, with paint, we all know it's about the prep, and your boat looks great. I would hate to use live bait of any kind with the white interior, but it looks just great!! Depending on where you are the dark color on the boat could be a scorcher, but that isn't a sun bathing boat anyways. Go fast and enjoy the nice new ride!

1979checkmate

Petty Officer 1st Class

Very respectable job you did on that baby, with paint, we all know it's about the prep, and your boat looks great. I would hate to use live bait of any kind with the white interior, but it looks just great!! Depending on where you are the dark color on the boat could be a scorcher, but that isn't a sun bathing boat anyways. Go fast and enjoy the nice new ride!

yes, the white is very annoying to keep clean. Magic Erasers, bleach, and armorall are my friends. Only reason for the white is the boat came with a roll of white vinyl when i purchased it 3 years ago.

Speakrdude

Ensign

I wonder if there has ever been a study on the psychological effects on the brain and a brand spanking new paint job?

SDSeville

Lieutenant

Rattle can and roll and tip? Looks like a pro sprayed it. Nice work!!

1979checkmate

Petty Officer 1st Class

Rattle can and roll and tip? Looks like a pro sprayed it. Nice work!!

Thanks! the pictures do not show defects though, there are a few places with a little orange peel and a few runs on the lower section, hopefuly that all comes out after wetsand/buff in a month or two.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Carefull when buffing. Unless you put on 3+ coats you can buff thru pretty easily.