'86 Starcraft Aluminum Fishmaster 16' transom repair

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Hey fellas I am in the middle of a repower so what better time to replace the transom. Does anyone know what thickness, type of wood, and where to get the wood from? I have seen on here people using PVC as the transom material, any input on that?

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Re: '86 Starcraft Aluminum Fishmaster 16' transom repair

Your transom thickness should be 1-1/2".

Use 3/4" (x2) exterior grade plywood at least ABX is a good grade, MDO plywood is even better... don't use pressure treated wood.

Seal your your wood with an exterior grade spar urethane or epoxy resin.

Pvc isn't as strong as plywood and it's heavier.

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Ok thanks jign. I am also trying to find a below deck belly tank for her (same as 16' ss) I can't seem to find a tank that is short enough height wise to fit under the enter of my floor. Poly or aluminum is fine.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Have you checked the iboats store?

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

It's gonna have to be short and long to fit,..

If it is anything like my Alumacraft 16 footer you won't find one,.....

Or at least I haven't been able to yet,....

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Jig gave you the right dope on the transom. If you can't find a new tank just start prowling Craig's List, prob your only shot at finding one, Possibly check out the marine salvage yards in this sticky. It's for outboards but O/Bs are usually attached to old boats when they get junked.

jbcurt00

Staff member

You might give these guys a shot, never used them, no idea what it'd cost, but they were suggested by another iboater.

sutor623

Rear Admiral

It's gonna have to be short and long to fit,..

If it is anything like my Alumacraft 16 footer you won't find one,.....

Or at least I haven't been able to yet,....

I hear ya. You may have to go the custom fab route.

Jig gave you the right dope on the transom. If you can't find a new tank just start prowling Craig's List, prob your only shot at finding one, Possibly check out the marine salvage yards in this sticky. It's for outboards but O/Bs are usually attached to old boats when they get junked.
Maybe so...
Have you checked the iboats store?
Yea they are all a hair too big.

You might give these guys a shot, never used them, no idea what it'd cost, but they were suggested by another iboater.
May have too. My dimensions for a belly tank are 6" tall in the middle, 18" wide, and length isn't really a concern. I would lilt to avoid a tank over 20 gallons capacity if possible.

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

The shortest one I have ever seen on the market are 7.25 inches tall,...And 18.5 inches wide,...

I have about the same amount of room in my alumacraft,...

I gave up on my search for a below deck and just use two six gallon tanks,....

Not the end of the world,...

I wasn't willing to spend the extra money on a custom fuel tank in a small boat,...

sutor623

Rear Admiral

I wasn't willing to spend the extra money on a custom fuel tank in a small boat,...

Yea I hear ya there. I'm going to still see if I can figure out a system. If not I have a buddy that weld aluminum maybe I can get him to fab something up?

jbcurt00

Staff member

Underfloor fuel tanks need to meet these regs:
Fuel_Tank_new.jpg

Making your own fuel tank. What are the legal rules?

[CITE: 33CFR183.510][Page 777-778] TITLE 33--NAVIGATION AND NAVIGABLE WATERS CHAPTER I--COAST GUARD, DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION (CONTINUED) PART 183--BOATS AND ASSOCIATED EQUIPMENT--Table of Contents Subpart J--Fuel Systems Sec. 183.510 Fuel tanks. (a) Each fuel tank in a boat must have been tested by its manufacturer[[Page 778]]under Sec. 183.580 and not leak when subjected to the pressure marked on the tank label under Sec. 183.514(b)(5). (b) Each fuel tank must not leak if subjected to the fire test under Sec. 183.590. Leakage is determined by the static pressure test under Sec. 183.580, except that the test pressure must be at least one-fourth PSIG. (c) Each fuel tank of less than 25 gallons capacity must not leak if tested under Sec. 183.584. (d) Each fuel tank with a capacity of 25 to 199 gallons must not leak if tested under Sec. 183.586. (e) Each fuel tank of 200 gallons capacity or more must not leak if tested under Secs. 183.586 and 183.588.[CGD 74-209, 42 FR 5950, Jan. 31, 1977, as amended by CGD 81-092, 48 FR 55736, Dec. 15, 1983][CITE: 33CFR183.512][Page 778] TITLE 33--NAVIGATION AND NAVIGABLE WATERS CHAPTER I--COAST GUARD, DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION (CONTINUED) PART 183--BOATS AND ASSOCIATED EQUIPMENT--Table of Contents Subpart J--Fuel Systems Sec. 183.512 Fuel tanks: Prohibited materials. (a) A fuel tank must not be constructed from terneplate. (b) Unless it has an inorganic sacrificial galvanic coating on the inside and outside of the tank, a fuel tank must not be constructed from black iron or carbon steel. (c) A fuel tank encased in cellular plastic or in fiber reinforced plastic must not be constructed from a ferrous alloy.[CGD 74-209, 42 FR 5950, Jan. 31, 1977; 42 FR 24739, May 16, 1977] Sec. 183.590 Fire test. (a) A piece of equipment is tested under the following conditions and procedures: (1) Fuel stop valves, USCG Type A1'' or USCG Type A2'' hoses and hose clamps are tested in a fire chamber. (2) Fuel filters, strainers, and pumps are tested in a fire chamber or as installed on the engine in the boat. (3) Fuel tanks must be tested filled with fuel to one-fourth the capacity marked on the tank in a fire chamber or in an actual or simulated hull section. (b) Each fire test is conducted with free burning heptane and the component must be subjected to a flame for 2\1/2\ minutes. (c) If the component is tested in a fire chamber:[[Page 784]] (1) The temperature within one inch of the component must be at least 648 deg.C sometime during the 2\1/2\ minute test; (2) The surface of the heptane must be 8 to 10 inches below the component being tested; and (3) The heptane must be in a container that is large enough to permit the perimeter of the top surface of the heptane to extend beyond the vertical projection of the perimeter of the component being tested. (d) If the component is being tested as installed on an engine, heptane sufficient to burn 2\1/2\ minutes must be poured over the component and allowed to run into a flat bottomed pan under the engine. The pan must be large enough to permit the perimeter of the top surface of the heptane to extend beyond the vertical projection of the perimeter of the engine. (e) If a fuel tank is being tested in an actual or simulated hull section, the actual or simulated hull section must be of sufficient size to contain enough heptane to burn for 2\1/2\ minutes in a place adjacent to the tank.[CGD 74-209, 42 FR 5950, Jan. 31, 1977, as amended by CGD 77-98, 42 FR 36253, July 14, 1977; CGD 85-098, 52 FR 19729, May 27, 1987]

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Damn JB that sure is confusing. Thanks for the useful info. Definitely do not want a fire or explosion.

jbcurt00

Staff member

As a backyard 'boat builder' resto, it is unlikely that anyone would be checking for all the correct EPA evaporative :blah: or the labels & stamps from a 'certified' tank maker & that the tank passed a correctly done pressure test....

but yeah...

I only like 1 kind of boom boom w/ my boating, and it does not involve a gas tank... :cool:

sutor623

Rear Admiral

As a backyard 'boat builder' resto, it is unlikely that anyone would be checking for all the correct EPA evaporative :blah: or the labels & stamps from a 'certified' tank maker & that the tank passed a correctly done pressure test....

but yeah...

I only like 1 kind of boom boom w/ my boating, and it does not involve a gas tank... :cool:

I hear that brother! A mass of wires, batteries, and gasoline all on floating island miles away from civilization.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I believe that picture is only for new boats built after 1/1/12 and wouldn't cover re-constuction of an older boat.

sutor623

Rear Admiral

I believe that picture is only for new boats built after 1/1/12 and wouldn't cover re-constuction of an older boat.

'Sgoin on Georgia? Well somebody gimme a diagram for a custom fuel tank that I can actually build. :)

jbcurt00

Staff member

GA, you are correct.... Not required for resto's

But they also no longer make/sell leaded gas even though it was sold for 20+yrs after engines that needed lead were no longer made & installed by OEMs.

Although a gas tank should be certified & pressure tested, and even though nobody is likely to be checking, if I could weld aluminum, I'm not sure a below deck tank would be something I'd want to tackle...

Informational only......I also included an older iboats legal gas tank thread...

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Ok guys I have another question for you fellas. I re-carpeted the rails, did some re-vinyling of the console, and carpeted the floors of my boat last year so that my wife and I could enjoy it in the summer. Well, now that I have sold the '67 Merc off the back of it I am re-doing the transom, but I also want to pull up the floors. Upon observation I noticed that there are side gunnels, and 90degree angle strips that tie the floor in to the sides of the boat. Do I need to drill out the rivets and pull these guys off in order to properly place the floor?

P5201296.jpg

In this picture you can see on the right the angle strip that ties in the floor to the sides. Remove??
P4081113.jpg

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Do I need to drill out the rivets and pull these guys off in order to properly place the floor?

In this picture you can see on the right the angle strip that ties in the floor to the sides. Remove??

If it's sitting on the deck, it's gotta go!

Don't be intimidated by removing and replacing rivets, there;s an easy way to replace them by your self:
1989 Sylvan Boat Rebuild Part 4 - YouTube

All aluminum boat owners should have a rivet setting tool and an assortment of blind rivets.

Don't forget to seal the new decking before installing it.

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Cool thanks jign. One more ? for ya then. My boat does not leak A DROP!! So is it worth pulling up the dry flotation foam to apply gluv-it? If so should I just reuse the foam if I can get it up neatly?