1984 Bomber Scout Rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bomber Goober

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1984 Bomber Scout Rebuild

Ahh yes, the unsung boat chariot rebuilding work. It was very unrewarding and more like a chore than the actual boat work, at least for me. This must mean your getting ready to flip the hull right side up. Looking good Bomber!

You are correct sir. Hoped to gather some buddies and do it today since I got the bunks mounted. GT, That bunk work looks amazing but I just couldn't convince myself to do all that extra work in the heat today.

My original plan was just to re bunk the trailer and call it good until next year, but how could I put a pretty boat back onto an ugly trailer?
The tongue was trashed, slightly bent and obviously shortened by someone at some point(I estimated it to be 8-12 inches shorter than it should be) So I got some new slightly thicker tubing 2ft longer than what I had and welded it all in. Decided to bolt the coupler on(grade 8 bolts of course) instead of welding to give me the option to shorten tongue if needed for the best ride. Previously without the boat on it I'd guesstimate the tongue weight to be 80-100 lbs. Now roughly 50 or less. A good sandblasting and some wire wheeling and a couple coats of Rusto primer and gloss white and BAM, good as new.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

Longer tongue also makes for easier backing too, looks like you did it up right, can't even tell it's not stock in the pics. I didn't notice Bomber did you also rewire and get new taillights?

Bomber Goober

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It will be rewired eventually, more towards the end of the build. I have my eye on some nice LED lights with LED side markers but I don't see the need to throw $100 at lights just yet.

Bomber Goober

Petty Officer 2nd Class

THE HULL IS FLIPPED!! I must say it feels good and makes it look like I almost have a boat again.

Got my inner wheel wells cut, painted, carpeted and mounted as well.

Also decided to get some of that bed liner in a can that rusto makes and spray it on the steps on trailer. I'm not exactly sure I like it but it's there and I guess it will grow on me.

Still have to mount the winch tower, but I haven't gotten my new rollers ordered yet.

Got the cap moved around front and up on the chopping block. MTF shortly on that.
PA310009 (1280x960).jpgPA310010 (1280x960).jpg

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Looks awesome sitting on its freshened up ride! Nice job!

Bomber Goober

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Looks awesome sitting on its freshened up ride! Nice job!
Thanks GT, I'm really pleased with how it is looking so far. The second pic really shows the shine I was able to get out of it. I was concerned that I hadn't buffed/polished enough, but seeing that reflection off the trailer makes it good enough for me.

On to the cap. Somehow through all I have learned and seen and pulled out of this boat, I thought I was going to get away with not replacing any wood in the cap. Luckily Murphy was around to let me know how little luck I have.

The first pic is where I removed the piece under the front casting deck. The seat mount was definitely the cause of it's demise.

The pieces for the "dash" are shot as well. The starboard side being the worst due to holes for wheel and gauges.

The bow pieces aren't shot but with all the holes from god knows what being mounted up there I'm just going to change it out.

I have to contend with the area in the last pic. There is a 1/4" piece of plywood that runs length of cap, I imagine for rigidity. Well right at the spot pictured is a definite weak point and while moving the cap around front I heard some cracking and discovered it was coming from there and the plys have separated and started to rip. I'm thinking if i cut out 12" on either side and put some 3/4" in its place.

As far as securing these new pieces in. I am just going to paint with some rusto oil based and PL them in. They were hardly secured to begin with. Even the spots that weren't rotted came right up with no effort. The roving that was covering it was so poorly put down that all I had to do was slip my wonder bar under it and it separated easily.
PA310004 (1280x960).jpgPA310006 (1280x960).jpgPA310007 (1280x960).jpgPA310005 (1280x960).jpgPA310008 (1280x960).jpg

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

That ^^^^ is one of the main reasons I decided to add a ton of work to my restore...the fact that the cap on my tub was just as bad as the rest...then after looking and thinking and contemplating, I decided that to repair what was there, was going to take as much effort as it would to redesign the cap the way I wanted...whether or not it was the smartest choice I ever made, the jury is still out...:rolleyes:
Have a good week...:)

Bomber Goober

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Mine isn't all that bad. A few repairs and i think it will be good. I really like the layout of my cap and I think it maximizes the space in my little 14'er well. Only downside is no rod locker, bummer. I have a few modifications I want to make to it, but nothing to serious.

On a side note was thinking about what to use to cover the deck . Mainly the parts that will be covered by the cap. Saw this and looking for opinions. Obvioiusly i see that it says INTERIOR on it, but looking at the specs it is UV resistant and waterproof.

Shop Epoxy-Coat 1.5-Quart Interior High-Gloss White Garage Floor Coating Kit at Lowes.com

Watermann

I don't know about using a concrete epoxy product on something that flexes it could be that it cures too hard and will crack when the glass flexes (3 times stronger than concrete). Self leveling means runny to me so it should be used on flat surface like a garage floor. It would be an expensive and non-removable test. As you know I'm all for outside the box thinking and trying new ideas but that stuff may be overboard even for me. :D

I would think about maybe just using some rusto topside to shoot on those cap areas.

Man that gel coat job you did is great, talk about putting a shine on.

Watermann

Hey Bomber how are things? Miss your updates on the scout. Your not out fishing and leaving us wondering what happened are you? :faint2:

Bomber Goober

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey Bomber how are things? Miss your updates on the scout. Your not out fishing and leaving us wondering what happened are you? :faint2:

I would never do that to you guys.

Last edited:

Bomber Goober

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

I'm back! I didnt give up on the boat. life got in the way big time. little of this and that combined with an "overseas vacation" really had me away from the boat for a while.I moved it up to the old mans house while i was gone and left it all covered and dry to await my return. I got back towards the end of November and between the holidays and such didnt get a whole lot done besides gathering supplies and getting heat set up in the garage. oh yea and moved in the process and now have a garage.Last i left off i was starting to work on cap. fast foward since i have no pictures. I got the cap all done up and wood replaced. smoothed out all the surfaces not going to be covered by carpet and managed to get it gelcoated before i left.

Over the last week or so i was able to get the inside of the hull sanded and ready for gelcoat. got that done no issues. rolled on nice and easy and im really happy with how it turned out. made the nailers for the cap to hold on to and got them pl glued and curing last night. Gonna try to order carpet in the next few days and get busy on wet sanding and polishing the cap. im sure im forgetting a thing or to but ill start updating more as i start getting heavy back into working on boat.

Attachments

• photo214773.jpg
    photo214773.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 3
  • photo214774.jpg
    photo214774.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 3

Watermann

Hey Bomber welcome back! Glad to hear you survived the vacation :thumb:

I got another boat while you were gone and restored it, not to put any pressure on you or anything... :lol:

Bomber Goober

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey Bomber welcome back! Glad to hear you survived the vacation :thumb:

I got another boat while you were gone and restored it, not to put any pressure on you or anything... :lol:

Yea...no pressure haha.I'll be happy if i get this one done. I somehow managed to end up with 3 jet skis as well. 2 95 yamaha 650's and a 96 900zxi. I'll be looking back through your thread to see what i missed. im only a year and half or so behind, shouldnt take to long to catch up :lol:

Aaroncole93

Cadet

THE HULL IS FLIPPED!! I must say it feels good and makes it look like I almost have a boat again.

Got my inner wheel wells cut, painted, carpeted and mounted as well.

Also decided to get some of that bed liner in a can that rusto makes and spray it on the steps on trailer. I'm not exactly sure I like it but it's there and I guess it will grow on me.

Still have to mount the winch tower, but I haven't gotten my new rollers ordered yet.

Got the cap moved around front and up on the chopping block. MTF shortly on that.
View attachment 166305View attachment 166306
I know this is a very old post but I am looking at buying a 89 bomber scout was wondering did yours have wood stringers in it?

Status
Not open for further replies.