1976 Tom Boy Boat, 1976 40 HP Johnson Outboard and who knows what Trailer

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Ha thanks guys for the replies. I think I will go for the totally sealed option and scrap the drain options and let it be. I have knocked it around now for too long in my head and for every good reason I can think of for drainage options, I can think of counter reasons to not do that as well. So I'll go with sealed and filled with mix and pour foam and boat on. That does make the stringers and bulkheads a heck of a lot easier to manufacture...okay cut out. Manufacturing sounds so much more interesting though. :smile:

Funny, I wanted to continue work on it today, but between my dad's birthday diner and then cutting and edging the lawn, today is gone now. So while I wished for nicer weather so I could do the poly mixes for the boat, along comes the grass grown as well...and boy is it growing too! Always something. :facepalm:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Yep I had to break out the mower the other day also ...
I'm with ya on sealing everything and filling with foam . Looking at the way your hull is shaped my idea of 2 drains with a pocket wouldn't work very well ...

gm280

Supreme Mariner
As I continue glassing my tri-hull, I try to sand down the nibs and blobs that happen as I apply the poly so the following glassing efforts lays flat as can be. But I tried every type sanding approach I can and every one of the sanding disks plug very quickly. What does other use or do they just keep replacing the plugged disks and keep sanding or what? I should finish up covering the entire hull with poly and CSM cloth hopefully today. I'll post those pictures later on. And I can tell you, if it wasn't for the 3M vapor filters, that stuff will kill you...okay at least make you dizzy smelling it. But I like it in the shop so I can continue working on it without all the pollen dropping on the fresh poly if it was outside.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Get an old tennis shoe and grind your discs on the rubber. It will Unclog them pretty good and make em reusable!!!:eek:;)

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Get an old tennis shoe and grind your discs on the rubber. It will Unclog them pretty good and make em reusable!!!:eek:;)

Ha that IS a great idea. And I can see how that will work too. Thanks WOG. I have done some more glassing this morning and after lunch I'll be doing even more. Here are a few pictures. I circled one shot to show what I think is a bubble. Is that going to be a problem because I did see some of them in the other side as well. Seems everything looks perfect as I stop working everything out and then after it cures, I see such things. I guess I am still a newbie yet and need more training and experience. But these pictures show the first 1708 applied on the transom tabbing and the final PB fill in for the drainage area. WOW that 1708 cloth is thick compared to CSM. I almost have the entire floor hull section covered with poly and CSM. Just a little bit more to go and then I start on the sides. Once the sides are done. then I will drill out the rivets and remove the railing around the hull so I can sand and glass that area as well before installing stringers and floor. Lots of work, but it is going great so far... I'm happy! :smile:

Transom-18.jpg
Transom-19.JPG
Transom-20.JPG
Transom-21.JPG
Transom-22.JPG
Transom-23.JPG

You folks need to let me know if I screwed up and need to redo anything. Because I think it looks okay but then I've never done anything like this and certainly don't know for sure...

Anyway, you'll have a great day. More to come.... :smile:

Attachments

• Transom-24.JPG
    Transom-24.JPG
    28 KB · Views: 2

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I hate to tell ya but with those 2 little bubbles your gunna have to tear everything back out and start over !!
Hehehe ! LOL !
Just joking !! You can leave it like it is or grind it out and patch it back ....
No biggy every thing looks great !

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I hate to tell ya but with those 2 little bubbles your gunna have to tear everything back out and start over !!
Hehehe ! LOL !
Just joking !! You can leave it like it is or grind it out and patch it back ....
No biggy every thing looks great !

Okay, to the grind I go....LOL

Thanks for the reply and nice comment!
Actually I was thinking (and that IS dangerous indeed, seems ever time I do that I smell burnt toast for some reason :flame: ), I was wondering if I could drill a little 1/8" hole in the bubble and take a glue syringe and force some poly in the area if that would solve the bubble problems. Probably better to just leave it alone and do a better job as I go on...

I have another interesting question. Does poly mix well with sweat? :noidea: Seem I always have sweat drop off my face into the glassing efforts every time. But I haven't seen any adverse effects yet. :facepalm: Probably will eat a hole through the glass as I get further into the project... :eek:

Back to the salt mine now... :crazy:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Sweat band for your head!!! Towel around your neck!!!
Don't SWEAT the bubble. You'll get better!!!;)

gm280

Supreme Mariner
A little more update, actually a lot of work done today. I finally finished covering the entire hull with CSM and poly. Well all but a few inches at the very top around the rub rail rivets if it is visible in the pictures. Once this latest batch of poly and CSM cure, I plan on drilling out all the rivets and removing the stout rub rail and then sand that few inches of non-polyed section and apply 1708 around the very top section to make it a little more ridged. And then I can start with the stringers and floor cutouts and prep. So while these pictures really don't look much different then last few I posted, it is now covered with CSM... And I am amazed that I have about a quarter of the five gallon bucket of poly 435 left yet. And two more five gallon buckets yet to open. So maybe I won't need to purchase anymore at the rate I'm going through it... We'll see. :pray2:

My son send me some pictures today via email of all the crappie they caught. Seems they caught 80 fish and had to show them off knowing I haven't finished my boat yet... That's mean... :gossip: :boink:

Well here is my latest... Transom-25.JPG
Transom-26.JPG
Transom-27.JPG
Transom-28.JPG
Transom-29.JPG

Of course this was about three hours work and my back is telling all about it too...

You all have a wonderful day... :joyous:

Back to the grind stone...I mean boat...

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
1 gallon should wet out about 36 sq. ft of CSM So you've use 4 gallons to do your transom, make quite a bit of PB and cover your entire hull bottom and sides. I'd say, In my book, you've done an exceptional job of NOT using to much resin and THAT is very good for a newb!!! Most use way to much resin and it's quite evident that you have NOT.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
1 gallon should wet out about 36 sq. ft of CSM So you've use 4 gallons to do your transom, make quite a bit of PB and cover your entire hull bottom and sides. I'd say, In my book, you've done an exceptional job of NOT using to much resin and THAT is very good for a newb!!! Most use way to much resin and it's quite evident that you have NOT.

Well I did what you told me to do and that was stop when I see the glass clothe going transparent. And I did that! So unless something takes a huge amount of resin, I think I bought enough 435 resin to finish without reordering more... We'll see... I now get to start with the two stringers and two side supports for the floor. I am getting excited seeing this come together now. So much of this project was tearing out all the old crappy junk and grinding the hull, making a cradle and stuff like that. But this stage is a lot more interesting. I can see the boat when finished and I am working towards that mental vision now... Thanks for the help WOG!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
The hull looks stronger already ! Great job gm ! Your on a roll !! :rofl:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
The hull looks stronger already ! Great job gm ! Your on a roll !! :rofl:

Ha thanks sphelps, not seeing this boat when it was originally made, I can't help but think it was never this solid. There is ZERO flex in the transom now. Totally different then when I bought this rig. I hope to get the stringers ready today... Thanks again for the nice words and encouragement... I certainly appreciate it indeed!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
So I worked on the two center stringers today and while they are really small in comparison to others on these boat projects, they still take some time to lay out and cut. However, the exterior plywood I bought has got to be the worst plywood I ever worked with. I can make them solid but the voids are amazing to say the least. And this was the very best 3/4" exterior plywood Lowes was selling too. Actually the same plywood I cut the transom from. I had a few voids that I filled in with the transom, but these stringers are pathetic... More PB and glassing to make them strong I guess. :facepalm: I will have four total stringers types and plans for a few bulkheads. Now I know the bulkheads were not in the original layout, but I want to install them where the plywood will mate together for the floor. That way there will be no mismatch between the floor pieces. I 'll post some pictures later on. Have a great day!

Last edited:

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
GM I think it looks fantastic!!! Just wish the weather would break and get to normal so I can start on mine.

Tnstratofam

Commander
Just catching back up with your thread gm, and I have to say your glass work looks great. She's definitely going to be much more solid when your finished.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Just catching back up with your thread gm, and I have to say your glass work looks great. She's definitely going to be much more solid when your finished.

Ha thanks trstratofam, Yes indeed I never seen this model boat new so all I have to go on was the pathetic transom job the PO did. And I'm actually surprised the engine didn't fall off it when he was running the lakes if you look at the very beginning of this project. But it will be solid and probably be around long after I am gone...

The temps in middle Georgia have taken a plunge today and for tomorrow as well, mid 50's for highs, freezing temps for lows. So I can't mix poly and glass, so I am cutting the stringers out. And of course, plywood doesn't come in 12' lengths. So I am lap jointing the pieces together before I even get to doubling them up for the two main stringers. So at least I am proceeding towards that end anyways. I set my radial arm saw up to cut half way though the plywood and then make about 6" of lap on the two section. Then I glues them together to make the proper length. That way I can make any length I need and every joint will be extremely strong compared to simple butt joints. Then just slap two of them together to double the stringers up, and a total solid stringer even before the CSM, 1708 and poly followed by PB and tabbing. At least that is the "plan". Everything is coming along as hope for. The only thing that bothers me, is the neighbors going fishing and coming back with fish stories... :violin: Next season...for sure! :eyebrows:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Todays update. With the rain and colder weather showing back up, I resorted to make the two main stringers. I have them ready now and I have to say for two really little stringers, they made me work on them for a long while. Being how they don't make exterior plywood in sizes larger then 4' X 8', I had to joint them together to make each stringer. Doh! So I lap jointed the pieces together and then glued two of them together to make one stringer giving me a solid 1 1/2" wide stringer. As you can see they are not very large and that actually made the joints even more interesting. I first made a cardboard version and transferred that to the plywood like everyone has done before. Nothing unusual there. But I thought that simple butt joints wasn't going to get it. So I set my radial arm saw up to cut exactly half way through the ply wood and made lap joints for every joint I needed. But I also staggered the joints so no two fell on the exact same area. And then I cut the first one out and made sure it worked. Once verifying it did, I cut more plywood sections and started gluing them together with lap joint. I used *** Bond III and clamps everywhere. I left them sit overnight to make sure they were dry before continuing. After they were totally dry, I took my Porter Cable router and a straight cutting pattern bit with a ball bearing on the end and used that to cut off everything that hung over the original pattern stringer. That gave me a perfect wide solid stringer. And I did the same for the other one as well. Then I took a belt sander and gave all sides a good smoothing and now they are ready. But only after I mix up some more PB and fill in the many voids exposed. Such totally crappy plywood to be top quality graded... But they will be solid before I install them. Now I have to work on the side braces and bulkheads for all the plywood joints from the plywood floor that meets together with each piece. Here are some pictures. I hope everybody can see how I assembled them and equally how small they are... I honestly believe larger height stringer would have been way easier. But it is what it is...

Stringer-1.jpg
Stringer-2.jpg
Stringer-3.jpg
Stringer-4.JPG
As you can see in these pictures I glued on pieces that actually over hung the pattern.
Stringer-5.JPG
But the router with a pattern following bit made quick work of duplicating the original...
Stringer-6.JPG
Stringer-7.JPG
Stringer-8.JPG

Yea, they have a little bend at the very end which is the smallest section. But I can easily straighten that out when installing...

So now some peanut butter mixture and some side sections and bulkhead at the plywood floor joints and I will be very far along...

How you all have a magnificent day... :thumb:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Another update for the stringers I'm STILL working on. I took the stringers and layout the side and middle ribs, or I guess being a boat project I should say bulkheads. I cut little dado joints in the two main stringers to help support the cross bulkheads for a few reasons. It makes absolutely sure I place the bulkheads in at perfect positions, they go on at the perfect right angles and the help support the floor when the plywood will meet. So again I set up the radio arm saw to cut 1/4" dados into the stringers. And now I have to build the cross supports, I mean bulkheads and install. You can see how they look presently. And yes I haven't mixed up the PB (Peanut Butter, poly, Cabisol and chopped or milled fiber glass strands) putty to fill in the voids yet. But I want to get all the machining work done on them first... Have a look see and let me know if you have any additional ideas. I hope to have all this installed real soon and then the floor will be a snap... yea right! :facepalm:

Stringer-9.JPG
Stringer-10.JPG
Stringer-11.JPG
I placed a make sift cross support to show how the real bulkheads will fit. There will also be outer sections that will attach to the side of the hull to support the floor so a cut those dado as well.
Stringer-12.JPG

And finally how they m ay look once installed in the boat itself. You can see the Johnson engine in the back ground waiting to be installed as well...

I love this project! :smile:

Stringer-13.JPG

Until next time you all have a great day... :thumb:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
With the job your doing on the stringers the deck's gunna be a piece a cake !
A lot more fun after the grinding is done huh !! ;)