1976 Tom Boy Boat, 1976 40 HP Johnson Outboard and who knows what Trailer

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Nice GM. Congrats on the color stage. We all know how hard you worked to get to this point. Hope your enjoying it.

Tnstratofam

Commander
Nice work gm. :thumb: I like the color scheme and look forward to the air brushed details.:pop2:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Very nice ! That striping looks great ! Something tells me there is a lot more awesomeness to come !!!

Pusher

Lieutenant
I'll be honest GM. I thought... Man that's a lot of gray, but then I saw the black and then your last with the white showing. Whew, that's looking snazzy! I shouldn't have doubted you :-D

Looking forward to the clear and graphics 👍

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Ha everybody thanks for the nice words.

Amazing how long it really takes to tape things off, and how quickly you can spray and remove the tape. The remaining graphics is something simple, but plays off the engine colors to give it a little interest. So red will be included next. I also have to spray on the registration numbers too. I thought about those registration numbers and once thought about merely using decals. But since these number remains on this hull even if it is sold (in state, of course) I decided to spray them on.

So some more to come, but then clear coats and ready to flip back over and finish up the inside. Still a lot of real work remains. But I am also trying to get yard work, for spring that seems to be here already, and even some inside home projects worked at the same time. Time management is the tricky part presently.

It rained hard last night (2.5" plus) and I was very glad to get the boat sprayed before that rain. The base colors dry in a matter of minutes. It is the clear coat that takes longer to cure. I will have to wait for the graphics when the weather is right. But they are predicting nice weather in a day or two. :thumb:

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
gm, you sure have come a long way since you started this project. Looking really good!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Thanks 89 resorter and bonz_d. Yes it has come a long way since I starter YEARS ago. About time for this project to be finished. :facepalm:

I did airbrush the pinstripe and here is the proof.
Touch up paint (1).JPG
Touch up paint (2).JPG
Touch up paint (3).JPG
On to the remainder now.

Thanks everyone for checking it out. And seriously, if anybody sees anything I can improve on, please speak up. I read everything and all ideas.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I really like that 3 paint scheme! Shows nice imagination.

Yea bonz_d I like it too. But the tape off was a hours long effort to get to this point. You have to really think of how you are going to tape off colors to allow what you want to come out. Sounds pretty easy, but taping off everything to make it look correct is a lot of taping. But thanks for the nice words. I honestly do appreciate it. :smile:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Well I really was hoping to post the graphic shots by now. But with the large amounts of rain and wind, it wasn't in the card to try and paint. So until I get okay weather to do the rest, I will wait. And so no posts with picture at this time.

I am now really wanting to finish this boat project because I have tons upon tons of other projects on the list to start and do. So I have to finish this up to start them.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
And fishing to do I hope!?!

Well Pusher, I had high hopes to get this finished for the Crappie spawning season this spring. BUT, since we've had an extremely mild winter, seem the Crappie are already doing it and I don't have the boat ready. So another Crappie season will go by without me fishing again. I haven't fished for at least three to four years now. So once I do finish this boat project, I my have to have someone teach me to fish all over again. :facepalm: :eek:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I knew it. With the rain and windy conditions that we've had recently, the pollen is everywhere now. So once the weather warms up enough to allow painting to continue, now I have to wash the hull before I can proceed. That is unless I like chartreuse (had to look that spelling up) instead of the color scheme I had decided. Yes every vehicle, make that basically everything is now covered in chartreuse colored pollen...as usually happens this time of the year. Now if you like a yellowish green color, then you'd be very happy right now, IF you don't have an allergies to such things. achoo!

Pusher

Lieutenant
Heh, I sprayed polyurethane on a fueselage a few years ago when I was going to college. It was spring with afternoon breezes. The pollen and bugs arrived just in time for the painting too. I was lucky enough to be spraying canary yellow. I hipe you get the perfect day for it! The good news is you might get a premature trip in if you can get the hull in color and cured. Maybe you need a $300 row boat until this one's done when you can flip it.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I decided to post a few POLLEN pictures of what we are dealing with here in middle Georgia. It really isn't anything unusual other then a lot earlier this year. But I now have to wash the hull before I can add the remaining paint. Again, not a huge issue, but still one other thing to work around.I can' wash it too much before I am wanting to shoot paint, because it will pollen up again. :eek: You just never know this time of the year what the weather is going to be. Yesterday we had 30 degrees in the morning and then up to near 70 in the afternoon. And pretty much the same for today. But with wind, you get pollen. So luckily the base paint dries in about 5 to 10 minutes max. However, the clear coat is another story. I need about an hour or more for that to cure so the pollen won't stick.
Pollen (1).JPG
Pollen (2).JPG
Pollen (3).JPG
Pollen (4).JPG
Now I could get that pattern even if I tried. Once everything comes together, I will be painting again.

To bad I don't like this color pattern, it would be near finished now. :facepalm:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
We have the same pollen flying around down here to gm .... Everything is green !! :lol:
My son in laws sinuses are killing him at the moment ... Me and the Admiral have been eating a good bit of local honey .... Honey made near by seems to help your allergies ....

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Well I have been waiting for the proper day. But it is either too cold, too windy, or raining. So I wait some more. However, where the hull is presently sitting is a breezeway between the house and my shop. It is about 20' wide and about 24' long. I may decide to close up both ends with plastic like I did when painting a car before. That at east controls the pollen. Then I could squeeze in the painting and "get her done". Because the pollen isn't going away any time soon.

They are predicting a cold front moving in this weekend and for the next week as well. Temps are only suppose to get to the mid 50's. That is way too cold to paint. This may take a lot longer then originally thought. :noidea: The actual graphics to include the registration numbers, isn't a huge amount of paint. That could happen pretty quickly. But the follow on clear coats are a lot more involved. So I have to pick my time to get it done the right way. JMHO