1976 Tom Boy Boat, 1976 40 HP Johnson Outboard and who knows what Trailer

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I find that wearing, gloves, a tyvek suit and respirator makes black Friday shopping much easier......people seem to give you all the room you want :D

That's probably true, but I don't want to get shot either. :faint2:

I'll just let the mods be for today. There is nothing I need that bad anyways.

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I personally will spend the extra money before or after black Friday. I don't even want to drive by the malls. People are nuts. We were driving home from Jersey on Thanksgiving and we're amazed at the lines we could see whenever we got a peek at a shopping center from the Belt pkwy. this was at 8 pm on Thursday. Everyone trying to save a dollar or two on an item the store only has one of. thank God for Amazon prime and the Internet in general. If I don't want my wife or daughter to see the package I have it sent to my buddy's shop. done.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
This is not so much of a boat update as much as it is what I have been up to. Seems I some how caught the creeping crud with a head cold and probably a sinus infection along with it. Seems that is the going trend around here presently. Wife has it, even our doctor has it. Go figure. The wife already had a shot and Z-pack but she isn't over it yet. And now I have it. Can't figure out where I got it from. :facepalm: So I guess a trip to the doc's is in my future.

With that all said, I did manage to remove the Kohler 15 HP engine off the lawn mower. I decided that mowing the leaves and spraying for mosquitoes isn't in vogue right now. Seems when I crank the engine it throws out a pretty nice blue cloud of smoke for a while. Then it settles down and runs pretty clean, but then for no reason it starts smoking blue smoke for a while again and then runs clean again. So I decided to see what was going on. Yes it has been doing this for a while, but I figured it is time for a look inside. Well reading up on this engine, they only used one valve seal on the intake side. And they also stated that the head gaskets likes to blow through. So I ordered a new valve seal and a head gasket and even rings.

Well after tearing it all down, seems the factory forgot to install any valve seal on either of the valves. There was nothing on the intake what so ever. The head gasket was intact but the rings were only worn with a 1/4" end gap. But surprising enough there is zero cylinder wear. No top lip or any scratches or even any marks on the piston. So new rings, valve seal and head gasket should have this puppy going again soon. That is if I feel like putting it back together again any time soon.

I did read where these engines usually had very little cylinder wear and most of the time, new rings were all that was needed. We'll see. If the new rings make spec, they are going in. And a new valve seal should help with the blue smoke as well. I figured that the ring gaps must have lined up to allow oil to burn and as they moved around the ring gaps would not be aligned and then it would stop smoking again. IDK, I don't see any other reason.

The boat hasn't been forgotten, but as usual between sickness and other issues, everything has to be worked around each other. That is how life does some times.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Thanks arch. It takes a long time for me to get rid of this type head cold. It seems to linger for a while. I hate ti too.

I did force myself to clean up some of the Kohler engine parts while waiting for addition seal and exhaust gasket to come in. And I have to say I am very impressed with soaking the piston in some Dawn dish soap and warm water. I couldn't believe how well it dissolved the junk on the piston. The piston looks nearly new now. I have to use Dawn some more on other things. :thumb:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Well I had an office visit for my typical six month check up and being how I still had this crud, the doctor (who also has the same crud by the way) decided it was time to give me something for it. So I got a shot. But it makes me wonder if the doc really knows what is going on. My head has the problem with sinus infection and coughing and drainage, and where do I get the shot...yep in the butt. I didn't even have any butt problems.

The doctor's office told me they ere covered up with people coming in now with the head crud. Not any flu yet, but lots and lots of head/sinus crud. And it looks like three weeks or more to get rid of it. So probably no boat updates from me for a while. And with the drainage, and my smeller and taste not work great, I basically have no appetite either.

I'll just have to work through it now. Wife is starting to feel a little better though and that is good news. :grumpy: :cold:

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
For some, a gluteal injection is the logical choice for a head cold... due to the anatomical location of their cranium... :eek: Hehehe!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
For some, a gluteal injection is the logical choice for a head cold... due to the anatomical location of their cranium... :eek: Hehehe!

Maybe that does discribe the reason for my butt shot after all. :facepalm:

I just hope I never have and hemorrhoid issues. No telling where that shot will go. :faint2:

Tnstratofam

Commander

Nice one Nurseman.

Sorry to hear you're feeling under the weather gm. Hope the shot helps.

gsxrdan

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hang on, if the wife is starting to feel better she can be out there working on the boat... :)chuncky:)

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Hang on, if the wife is starting to feel better she can be out there working on the boat... :)chuncky:)

Oh boy...that didn't go over real well. I read her your comment and without even one word, I knew what she was saying. Great thing that looks can't kill! :eek:

Let me just say, she isn't too receptive to that idea. It is raining and cold out there and even if I told her I could crank up a K1 kero heater, I don't think she is going for it. So more meds and try to get this crap out of my head will be the day's effort. Did I tell you all how I hate head colds...and don't even think about bending over. Then the head feels like it is going to explode........ :violin:

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
proper guilt trip will get em to do almost anything even let ya use the dishwasher for washing ya parts :) ... eheheh
ok I lie about the dishwasher part , its far easier to beg for forgiveness then permission... visa mastercard and American express also helps to ease the pain :) I usually start with umm I used blank for this and as I see rage building I go for quick save with eh macys is having a sale here take my card love you:)
total mind blowing its like a emotional overload she stands there with a eye twitch for sec and call's me a name and walks off :)

gomopar440

Petty Officer 1st Class
And you pull that off with the straightest face ever seen on a male homo-sapien, right Micky? lol

And GM I believe I've dodged that crud (for now), so I've just gotta deal with the back issues and the VA swapping my pain meds around on me. Head cold pressure is a bear to deal with, I know because I usually get that a lot in the winter time. Worse than that is when your balance is affected and then your sense of taste and smell start going into hyperdrive. Definitely takes a while to get used to that junk. I hope you're feeling better soon.

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Thanks gmp440. I hate it when everything you usually like to eat taste like cardboard, when you do try to eat. And you better not even bend over to pick anything up. Your head will explode. But at times that would be welcomed relief as well. But I will work through this....I hope. We presently have rain. Yes I did say it correctly, RAIN. With 50 degree temps for our highs. So not really cold but just lousy weather to have a head cold in. But then is there any good weather for a head cold. NOOooooo.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Well a little update but not about the boat. I, we, are starting to feel a little better these days. I didn't think we were going to there for a while. But getting better daily it seems. Small wonders never cease.

However, not one thing has been done to the boat. It still is sitting there waiting to be final sanded. It is about 2/3rds the way and that is where I stopped. Then the creeping crud set in on the wifey and I.

Now we finally got some cold weather. Yes it was near freezing this morning (low 30's) and our high is expected to get to mid 40's today. So no sanding on the hull as far as I can see for today. I guess I need to clean out the area and move the hull back into the shop. We'll see.

Hope everybody is faring well though.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Yea, it's been a while since I posted anything no this thread. And as much as I would like to post an update to the boat, I mean I seriously would love too, I have nothing. BUT, that is because of everything else going on now. In the last few weeks I had a water leak inside the wall at the concrete foundation that gave me a fit fixing that. I had the creeping crud that seem to take forever to get cleared up. In fact I still have a morning issue with that stuff yet. I had multiple other things that took precedent over the boat and even the weather as well.

I am presently finishing up rebuilding my 15 HP Kohler Command engine for the lawn mower. And I really need to mulch up the leaves in the yard. I installed new rings and seals because it was going through spells of blue smoking and then running fine and then more blue smoking again and then running fine again for hours. Seems the rings were worn pretty much and the factory somehow neglected to install a valve seal on the intake valve. But because this thing is between 16 to 18 years old, I can't really complain. The cylinder amazingly was in perfect condition. I've read where these Kohler engines had really good cylinders and rarely needed honed or bored. And the piston looked pretty much new as well. Absolutely zero wear or marks. Just the top of it caked up with carbon from the oil burning. There was zero rig on the cylinder at the top. Now the valves were a different story. They were caked up with oil carbon and needed cleaned and reseated. But it is near about ready to go back on the mower now. And this engine uses hydraulic lifters and a oil pump system. Everything was dissembled and cleaned.

The water leak was a PITB to fix. I learned a very good lesson doing that repair. I know how to solder copper pipe and have done lots of pipe soldering in the past. BUT, if you don't have an outlet for remaining water in the pipe to vent the steam, you will never get them to seal with solder. And that took me three days working in cold and rain from the outside of the wall to get it finally soldered and sealed. I obviously removed all the water out of the pipes, but steam was still building to blow out the solder on one 1/2" 90 degree street fitting. I fought that for too long before cutting the pipe at a lower area and using a sleeve to fix it.

Maybe next update will be about the hull. I still need to finish the sanding of the primer. But it will happen, just maybe after the Holidays. You all have a wonderful day! :thumb: