1976 Tom Boy Boat, 1976 40 HP Johnson Outboard and who knows what Trailer

gm280

Supreme Mariner
and the guy on the shore with a bamboo pole is laughing all the way to the bank :)

And with lots of nice fish too.

Before I ever had my first boat, I did fish from the bank. And I did catch a lot of fish that way as well. So again, why did I get a boat? :noidea:

Odd how when you fish from the bank, you want to cast way out into the water. But when you fish from a boat. you cast into the shallows and banks. Something doesn't make much sense there.:eek:

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
see luckily for me I'm more of a crustacean person so crabs are in my future as well as a few fish for the missus:)

gm280

Supreme Mariner
see luckily for me I'm more of a crustacean person so crabs are in my future as well as a few fish for the missus:)

Oh mickyryan, I can easily eat my fill of crab as well. But I have never fished, or hunted, or whatever you would call catching them.

Today I mixed up some special Poly/MEKP/Cabosill/Surfacing Wax/Glass Bubbles mixture to fill in some low areas. I didn't use any Acetone because the mixture was so runny. In fact I had to add more Cabosil and Glass Bubbles back and forth until it thickened up enough to be able to use it as a filler. I mixed the MEKP in last and mixed it well. Then using some wide bladed spackle putty knifes to apply it so I wasn't filling too little. It has since hardened but I will sand it tomorrow. 001.JPG

Yes it does have some ridges but those will sand down pretty easy. 002.JPG

Been fighting this low area for a while and just decided to fill it in with special mix. Primers were just not get the job done. 003.JPG

Some more areas filled. 004.JPG

And the areas on the transom. Seems both side edges were low so I tried the primer trick and it wasn't getting the areas filled high enough. So some special mix is now there.

That poly mix applies really nicely and hardens really hard, but sands amazingly easy. I about run out of the pin holes to fill now, so I was looking over the hull for low areas to fill in and sand one more time before the next serious 2K primer shoot. Doing the boat hull is very similar to auto body work, except auto body work doesn't usually have so many irregular areas to work with. This boat doesn't seem to have straight panels anywhere. Maybe the transom, but nothing else. Everything is either arched, angled or concaved. But it is come along.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Looks like you are making good progress GM. Hang in there the light is just around the corner!

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Almost there GM. we are all on pinholes and needles waiting for the color. Sorry, couldn't resist.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
There is 1 drawback to all that sanding...especially if your right handed...

before;
images

After; Improper technique;

images
images
I
images

Proper Technique when sanding;

images

Boats a looking Great!
KC

gm280

Supreme Mariner
OMG, you guys are funny. I can easily hang in there for a very strong 30 seconds sanding with one arm, and then switch to the other for another good 30 seconds. Then switch again. And I can do that for at least five minutes.The it's beak time and drink some tea. Then back at it again. But I am near finished, until I prime again and see more Uh Oh's and start all over again. I realize this part of the hull will never be seen by anybody but the fishies. But I have this OCD issue to try and get it perfect. It will never really be that way, but I try. If this hull was built to better standards, it could come out nice, but this hull was built cheaply and with a lot of iffy construction issues in the fiberglass. We will continue and see. I honestly wish this was a nicer Bass Boat Hull where I could try some interesting techniques with the finish. Maybe after I get this one finished I can get another boat project. :noidea:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Well I sanded yesterdays poly mixed putty down today and it seem to help a lot. I come to the conclusion that what this hull needs is a skim coat over the entire hull and then block sand it down. Is that going to happen? NO! I will do a few more areas and call it quits and prime again. No reason to make this drag on and on. It is not going to be a top quality show boat and I come to that conclusion now. So a few more areas with poly coat, and then prime again and hopefully block sand it down for final. I need to get it painted and flipped back over again.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
just imagine them lil fishes going omg frank don't take the bait lookit the pin holes in the bottom of the boat , low class bait probably lets go over there and try that other bait!
:)

gm280

Supreme Mariner
just imagine them lil fishes going omg frank don't take the bait lookit the pin holes in the bottom of the boat , low class bait probably lets go over there and try that other bait!
:)

Well back when I was hunting, the deer would see you drive into the woods and then make their decision on which truck looked the best and then came out so they could ride home in that truck. So I thought fishies were the same way. If not, I really wish someone would have told me before all this. :facepalm:

I was hoping that a nice finished boat would be the calling card for fish. I mean it can't be my lack of catching fish on any other reason...can it? If all this is for not, boy, is that some really bad news. :eek:

We will see. I plan on coating a few more areas today and see how that comes out. :thumb:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I did apply another coat of the poly mix today and once it cured, I started sanding it out. I have to say, I really like the poly mix for application and easy of sanding. It gets really hard, but sands pretty easy without plugging the sandpaper. The only issue I have with it is the number of ingredients involved to mix it up. I have not used any Acetone in the last few mixes because following the mixing procedure to the letter makes the poly mix too runny. So I have to add in more Cabosil and Glass Bubbles to get it to thicken up. So I stopped using the Acetone as a thinning option. I guess temps has a lot to do with that as well. We are once again having record temps in the upper 80' to low 90's YET! :eek:

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
you are totally gonna air brush naked female fishes on the bottom of the boat to entice em aren't ya? kinda like tossin corn out for deer? :)

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
GM, I have a question. It looks like you have 3 drain holes in the transom? Just trying to figure out why you would have 3.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
gomopar440, Yes they are actually predicted to break a totally new record for Halloween. There are predicting 90 degrees and the old record was 89 degrees back in 1950. So I guess we will make a record heat once again. And that is a good thing and bad. Good to allow me the extra time to prep the hull, bad because I have to stop when the heat get that high. Sweat and sanding dust just doesn't mix well. :eek:

mckyryan, that isn't a bad idea. But since I am taking so long prepping the hull, I might forgo the air brushed fishies...maybe not. :noidea: But that still won't guarentee me to catch any of them. :facepalm:

Acrh, there are three openings for a reason. The center opening is for the typical bilge drain. The other two are for the live well inlet and live well drain. The other little holes on the transom sides are for the stainless steel eye hooks I am installing for strapping the transom down to the trailer. And all the other holes that use to be there are gone now.The PO has so many holes all over the transom, but when I rebuilt the new transom, those holes were gone. I will have to drill for the engine mount, but that will come later on.

Arch, if you don't have a pneumatic inline sander, you seriously need to get one. It takes a ton of work out of getting areas sanded down for the fine sanding efforts. I use fillers, and then use the inline sander and then switch to long board sanding and block hand sanders once the fillers are sanded down some what..
IRT315.jpg

It seriously helps.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Hey GM I do have an air file, I just don't use it much. What grit are you starting out with on rough body work? I start with 36, knocks it down to rough shape quickly.

I thought the extra holes might be for fishing....me I stick to fishing for bikinis :D

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Hey GM I do have an air file, I just don't use it much. What grit are you starting out with on rough body work? I start with 36, knocks it down to rough shape quickly.

I thought the extra holes might be for fishing....me I stick to fishing for bikinis :D

Arch, I have 36 grit and also 40 grit, but I usually go with 80 girt and then progress from there.

As for the three holes in the transom, most of the fish I catch (when I manage to catch anything) could easily flow out those holes. I may have to put a screen over them. :facepalm:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Well I had good intention to work on the boat today. But I had to first mow the yard, mulch the leaves, blow the debris off the drive way(s), cut a few large oak branches that fell from the neighbor's tree up for fire wood (have no idea when we will use the fireplace with this heat) and then repair the manifold for the sprinkler system.It was pouring out water from one of the electric valves. I had to shut off the system and replace that valve. So once I finished all that, the heat was 89 degrees and I has enough of it. So boat wasn't touched. I know boat should have come first. :facepalm: Maybe tomorrow...:noidea:

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
ahh its good to have the honey do's done it shows her ya still have your priority's strait ... even when ya don't :0