1976 Tom Boy Boat, 1976 40 HP Johnson Outboard and who knows what Trailer

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I cant see the pics after the first one either ... :pout:
Is there room on the gauge panel for the switches ? Or maybe put them in the side panel vertically ...

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Let me try this again.

I did take a few pictures today, and while they are not pictures of everything finished on the top side, there are mockup shots. Until I coat the bow area and the rod boxes and storage compartments, I don't want to attach the tops just yet. I figured it would be a lot easier to coat them before PBing the final tops on everything. So I really need to decide on what I'm going to use and buy in now.
IMG_0087.JPG
In this first picture you can see the bow platform sitting in place. You can also see the mockup for the switch panel on the Starboard side. I haven't made a final decision on that just yet. You can also see two holes for the kill switch and control cable openings. And an outline for the engine's remote controls. In the background you can see everything just sitting on top of the rod box side. I still have to coat the insides before PBing all those things in for good. There is also a hatch on the bow plate.
IMG_0088.JPG
Another shot from the rear end looking forward. I have already install all the floorings in the rod and storage boxes and they are waterproofed as well. They just need coated yet. If you look real close, you can see a lot of wood circle plugs laying around. Those are there to install after I pour the mix and pour foam in the lower sections of the rod and storage boxes. So there will be plenty of floatation foam in the sides as well.
IMG_0089.JPG
Another shot from the starboard side near the front Switch panel. I really didn't want the switch panel to extend above the side of the hull, but I haven't figured out another way to mount it yet. And ideas are certainly welcomed. I presently have the bow platform curing after I applied some 1708 to the underside today. And I installed some cleats around the sides to support the bow platform. Everything is come out nicely. Once I make the final decision for the switch panel and coat the boxes, I can install all the top box parts and flip this baby over and start prepping for paint.
IMG_0090.JPG
One other thing I've tried after see Red Herring's excellent work on his storage boxes. Now mind you, these are no where even close to his efforts, but I certainly did learn a lot trying it. And will try again.
IMG_0091.JPG
This is my first try on making the lips around one of the storage top. No it isn't nice looking, but I did learn so much doing this and will continue until I get it right. Presently the lip is cut at 3/4" height. I am going to cut them a little lower. Probably 5/8" because I have to get it to fit into the opening with a lid closing on top.

If you remember, I mistakenly sprayed everything with mold release including the wood section that it has to attach to. So I took everything off and used carb cleaner and some elbow grease and cleaned it all off. I was wondering if the polyester would stick to the wood after that. Well in really did stick and is very solid. I used three layers of 1708 and polyester resin to apply everything. The corners I used regular molding clay. I couldn't fine fillet wax and the proper tools to install that, so molding clay was my last choice. And the polyester didn't stick to the clay in the least. And once I cut this to the final height, I think it will look pretty nice. Not Red Herring's nice, but okay.

I know it needs a lot of improvement. :facepalm:[/QUOTE]

I hope these pictures show up. I still can see the other pictures as well. But who knows... :eek:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I cant see the pics after the first one either ... :pout:
Is there room on the gauge panel for the switches ? Or maybe put them in the side panel vertically ...

There is space on the front gauge panel area, but that space is dedicated for the depth locator panel and unit. I thought about installing it vertical on the side, but the Johnson Control unit is in the way. I hate to change it, but I could make the panel smaller and then I could lay it horizontal. I even thought about mounting the panel lower in the side at an angle, but then the controls would have to set even lower then that. IDK.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I see em now ... You sure have this boat very well thought out ... Looks great !

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Sam at this stage everything is up for an idea. As I look over the setup, I can see other ideas cropping up. Still a good challenge to be operational but still look good and appropriate too. Yes I know, way too much being put into a little tri-hull boat. But the learning curve doing this boat project will help out if or when I do a Bass boat next. :eek:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
This morning, after we ate a very good breakfast at one of our Cracker Barrel's, I decided to see if some of the local places had Herculiner in stock. And yes they did, but only black colored. And it was priced pretty good too, $69.95 for the kit. So I thought okay I will buy the gray colored kit and coat up the rod boxes and such. Well there's where the problem started. Herculiner kits are everywhere, but only in the black color. If you get online and search, the gray color (and I don't know if that is light gray or dark gray which I certainly don't want) go for over twice the black colored price. So now I am looking at $154.95 plus shipping. WOW! Who would have thought? :noidea:

I even looked at Rustoleum Professional in a quart size in the light gray color. And even that was no where to be found. And they didn't have any hardener at all. Seems like this is going to either cost me a lot, or take a few trips to get everything together to coat these boxes so I can carry on. But then everything has its issues it seems. :eek:

I am trying some other layouts for the master switch panel as well and I may have come up with a better idea. :decision:

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander
Forgive me but are you going back with the stick steer? Where do the controls mount?

For your switch box,

1. Why not just recess in it downward into the side box there? ie recess the whole box you have the panel mounted on there.
2. If it's gotta be above the rail then (say using a pool noodle for a form maybe) round out the top backside of the mounting box and I don't think it'll look all that bad.

Either of those make any sense the way I tried to describe?

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
TDF, I like the idea of dropping it down but it can't drop down there ..The rectangle sharpie mark just below is for the control box I think ... If it were to get recessed into the side panel it would have to go just in front of the hole for his kill switch ... I think ..
Gm , what if you just lay it down at less than your 45 deg ... Start from the top of the r/r / gunnel then down to the outside corner inside edge of the side panel ... The only draw back would be less slope for water run off...

gm280

Supreme Mariner
TDF and Sam, I actually already made a different mounting option and I did lower the angle a lot. So now I can easily get the master switch panel installed without going above the hull side or cutting into the side of the control area. It basically is fitted in at a more lower angle to still offer water run off but doesn't interfere with anything else. I'll post some pictures of it later. It actually looks like it is suppose to be there. Certainly better then the original position setup. Some times it takes a looking at things from a picture to see different options. I will probably taper the sides to make it blend in nicely. I do like the pool noodle idea as well. We'll see.

Now if I can get the bed liner material in a light gray color for the storage and rod box areas, I can finish this top project and flip the hull. The is basically all I have left to finish before prepping for paint. Yes, the live well in not installed, but that is a separate project I'm still working on that I will install after the painting is finished and I flip the boat back over again. Everything for the live well is already in place and the live well box is built as well. But if I don't install in now, the boat will be a little lighter to flip.

So getting closer. But a lot of wiring and things like that are waiting as well. TDF, you alluded to the stick steering mount. I am presently communicating with the Ezy Glide company for everything I will need to install for the steering setup. The area for it is still open to install it with the port side already setup for that steering cable assembly. So that assembly is in the mix as well.

Yea still a lot left to do. But the major structural components are built and in place. :thumb:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Okay, the hunt is over. I visited our Tractor Supply Company and bought a quart of "Light Ford Gray" paint and the pint of hardener. So that is what I will use in the storage and rod boxes now. I got tired trying to locate the bed liner material in the gray color. Hope it looks good after I finish using it. :noidea:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I decide to do a mock up of the latest switch panel layout. What do you all think?
IMG_0092.JPG
This is the initial layout. As you can see it doesn't stick out above the side of the hull now and is still angled for water run off. Actually it is a lot lower then the side now. And it doesn't interfere with the control unit either.
IMG_0093.JPG
Just another blurrier shot with a little zoom in.

IMG_0097.JPG
Then I cut some Styrofoam to use as a filler to see what it would look like filleted in. I think I will go with something like this.
IMG_0098.JPG
Another angle with the Styrofoam mocked up.

I think once I get this formed up with poly and fiberglass, it may work pretty well.

I had an odd thing happen cutting the Styrofoam. I used my band saw and while cutting the foam, and that was like cutting air, I heard a loud thumb. I stopped the band saw and looked all over it to see what was going on. I've had this thing for literally years and no problems ever. So after opening the top wheel cover and looking and the bottom wheel cover and looking , I didn't see anything wrong. So I went bad to cutting the foam again. And once again I heard a loud clank and seen something fly out of the band saw. So I stopped the saw and picked up the piece I seen flying out. It was a ~two inch piece of rubbery material. So again I opened up the top wheel cover and this time I looked at everything. And WALA, I found the problem. The tire band on the large wheel was cracked in lots of little pieces and coming off. Looks like It is time for new tires for this machine. Can't complain for the years of service without any issues though. It is a great band saw. It is a Grizzle 2HP 17" band saw that I can resaw up to 13" in height. That in itself is worth all the money when you buy rough cut hardwood and make your own finished boards. So it's parts time now. :thumb:

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
^^^ I agree! That layout looks like it was supposed to be that way. Carry on.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Thanks guys. I will continue making the fiberglass finish for that setup and move along. Another issues worked out. Now only a zillion more to go. :eek:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Today I did a little CSM and polyester waterproofing on some plywood and while I was at it, I decided to apply a little on some Styrofoam. Good thing I did that too. I basically laid the mixing stick on top of a piece of Styrofoam and it wasn't even 20 seconds and the Styrofoam started to melt. So much for coating the new switch panel sides. I guess I need to shape some wood for the tapered sides first. I had a gut feeling the Styrofoam wouldn't like polyester resin. So wood it is.

Mark72233

Ensign
gm those panels look awesome. When its time to start wiring all my electronics why don't you plan a vacation down to Panama City :joyous:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
gm those panels look awesome. When its time to start wiring all my electronics why don't you plan a vacation down to Panama City :joyous:

Yep and while your down this way you can head east to J-ville and help wire up the Manatee .. ;)

GM you could have wrapped the foam in clear packaging tape and it would not have melted the foam ...