1976 Tom Boy Boat, 1976 40 HP Johnson Outboard and who knows what Trailer

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Thanks WOG, I have had some better efforts lately with the designs for the various panels, but not finished yet. :decision:

However, seeing how I am now wading through tons of wood sawdust and poly dust and fiberglass dust and metal dust and cob webs (oh yes those cob animals are quick to make their webs, very innovative indeed), I thought I would take some time and do a little cleaning up of the shop. I have so many side projects going on as well that it is almost out of hand. So the shop vacuum is running for long periods of time now. But obviously once relatively cleaned, just ONE cut with any of the power saws and it is all dusty again... :deadhorse:

But it as least it allows me to get things done under better working conditions for a few days. So no real boat project progress report or efforts to post, but things are moving along behind the scenes... :thumb:

You all have a great day... :thumb:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Okay! I made, hopefully, my last order to US Composites this morning. And I had them actually call me and tell me how I could save about $35 dollars with the shipping as well. Seems if you only order one 5 gallon bucket of 435 polyester resin, it can be shipped to your house cheaper then to a freight line warehouse. I ordered another 5 gal bucket of resin because I presently only have a half of a bucket left and a few more things that will need polyed yet. I also order two kits of mix and pour foam (2lb type 8 cubic feet size) for the floatation and some 1/4" Chopped Strand for more PB mixes. And I think I will have enough to finish now. I also worked on the LED lighting and reed switch mounting and hopefully with the weather coming through today, I can get tons of work done. We are expecting very dry front moving in. Still 90 degrees, but without the humidity. And since I sweat just thinking about work, this is a true blessing for me.. So maybe I can post some serious progress soon now...::rockon:

Wishing you all a fantastic day... :thumb:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
WOO HOO!!! Good ON Ya!!!! I KNOW you're anxious to get back at it!!! Just think, Next spring she'll be all rigged out and ready for the "Fish Catchin'"!!!:D

gm280

Supreme Mariner
WOO HOO!!! Good ON Ya!!!! I KNOW you're anxious to get back at it!!! Just think, Next spring she'll be all rigged out and ready for the "Fish Catchin'"!!!:D

I sure hope so WOG. The real problem I see now is the fact that it really has been so long since I've fished for anything, I'm not so sure I remember how. :facepalm:

My plans are to finish this hopefully before winter sets in and then I can start doing remodeling to the inside of the house.

While others don't think the house needs it. The wife and I would like to update the inside to something resembling this century. I also have some plans to built some more custom furniture for the different rooms. I really do like building quality WOOD furniture because almost everything you buy these days are mere particle board and cheap laminates. If you get into the real wood furniture, the cost goes through the roof quickly. But there really isn't any piece of furniture I can't build. Wood is so much easier to work with then most anything else, IF you measure twice (or three times or more) and cut once... And a complete workshop allows me to do such work. :focus:

However, I am getting excited about finishing this boat project now. And as funny as it seems. I wouldn't mind at all about tackling another Bass Type boat refurbishing setup. I wonder where GT1M has been? I really liked to see his boat project... :fish2:

You all have a wonderful day... :thumb:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
GT1M is around. Just like many of us, Life has thrown him some curves but he's hangin in there. I doubt it'll be to much longer before he's back on the boat project.;)

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Yeh he's got a storm headed his way ...He might have to bunker down in a few days depending on what the T/S does ...

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Okay, I sure hope GT1M is okay and his family as well. I just haven't heard from him in a long time and he was doing an amazing job on his Glasstream boat. Sure wish he would start back up with his posts...

A little update. I should have the new items received tomorrow from U S Composites. I think that should be my last order for poly and mix and pour foam now. Amazing how much time you can expend on such little things building a boat. I spend yesterday, after weeding out one of the front garden/ shuddery beds, working on the two boat seat bases. I drilled out every screw hole and installed all the LED lighting and switch items to both verify they are installed correct, but also get the holes drilled before installation. Then I removed everything and started using some PB in some of the little voids in the plywood edges. So hopefully today I can poly the raw wood surfaces and be ready to PB them in place... I would have posted pictures, but there is so little to serious see that it wouldn't be of much interest I'm sure. I will post the PBed bases though, when I get there. Just seemed like a lot of work (hours) for so little end results. But that is all part of it I guess... :noidea:

Here's wishing you all a perfect day... :thumb:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Yesterday evening I received the shipment from U S Composites and now I have my last (hopefully) 5 gallon bucket of polyester 435 resin and more 1/4" chopped strand fiberglass and the mix and pour foam as well. So being a little excited about trying some of the mix and pour foam, I was hoping for a usual day of 90 degrees and sun beating down. But of course, we have 79 degrees with overcast and rain... Amazing how the weather knows what you are planning to do. :noidea: I did get the seat bases sanded and filleted and water proofed now. So if I can attach the LEDs and Proximity Reed Switches back on them and wired up, I can install them in the boat. So I do have things to do even with sorry weather. And I should also start on the rod boxes and front helm section. I have the basic helm section pretty much worked out and even initially cut out, but I still need to do the final fitting yet. So if or when the weather cooperates again, I will mix and pour the flotation foam and seal the openings. :rain:

Hope you all have a really nice day... :thumb:

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Hey, we do what we can when we can right! Now you'll have to watch for all that heavy rain that may be headed your way.

For me, that 25hp short shaft for the Sea Nymph fell through. Still looking!

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
GM, This might save ya alot of headaches pouring the foam.

Grab a roll of small trash can bags
Grab 3 or 4 gal paint bucket.
You will need only two other containers for meas. of part A and part B, seperatley.
Put the trash bag as a liner in the can, let the sides overhang or use a rubberband to keep the bag in place.
Pour part A in the liner
Pour part B in the liner and mix it up with a stir stick
Lift the bag out, take over to where the hole in the deck is for the pour and/or the open area designated for the pour.
Snip/cut off the bottom corner of the bag {now it's a pastry bag** and funnel/squeeze the mix into the hole.
Saves a bundle on plastic containers etc.
Still have to move quickly. And is alot darn cleaner in the end.
Hope the weather changes for you!

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
GM, This might save ya alot of headaches pouring the foam.

Grab a roll of small trash can bags
Grab 3 or 4 gal paint bucket.
You will need only two other containers for meas. of part A and part B, seperatley.
Put the trash bag as a liner in the can, let the sides overhang or use a rubberband to keep the bag in place.
Pour part A in the liner
Pour part B in the liner and mix it up with a stir stick
Lift the bag out, take over to where the hole in the deck is for the pour and/or the open area designated for the pour.
Snip/cut off the bottom corner of the bag {now it's a pastry bag** and funnel/squeeze the mix into the hole.
Saves a bundle on plastic containers etc.
Still have to move quickly. And is alot darn cleaner in the end.
Hope the weather changes for you!

HA kcassells, seem you were reading my mind. And that really is hard to do since it is very very small. :facepalm: Because I was just going to ask how others did the mix and pour. Your idea sound really interesting and does offer less time trying to clean up the remaining material out of the mixing can each time. Thanks for that idea. Unless somebody else offers something better, I think I found my solution to mixing this stuff up... Thanks again... :thumb:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Maybe some of you guys that have already experimented with the U S Composite mix and pour 2lb foam kits can answer a few questions for me. I realize the mixture ratio is 50/50. That is a given, but how do you know how much to mix for a given area? What I mean is if I have one cubic foot area to cover or foam (for lack of a better description) how do I know how much of part A and part B to mix together to yield that coverage? Is this stuff heat and humidity dependent? Does it yield more when it is 90 degree verses 80 degrees? They didn't send any info about the expected expansion capability and only a simple instruction as to how much time I have to mix and pour. So any ideas or experiences would be totally appreciated indeed. I guess I can experiment and see, but if you guys know for sure, that would save material and time. :noidea: :help:

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
gm, I haven't used it as of yet but have read a lot about it and it's use and application. It is heat sensitive and yields more at higher temps. It can also be poured in layers, one on top of the other so you could mix a small amount and pour it for a reference and go from there..

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Just checked the website and looks like they are updating it. So a lot of info is missing. Give them a call they are pretty helpful.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
kcassell and bonz_d, thanks for the replies and it sounds like I can work with small amounts until I get the hang of it. So that should happen this week...hopefully!

Yesterday I removed the piano hinges from the seat lids and poly soaked the last of the exposed wood on the seat bases (only the very lip where the hinges go). And then I drilled out the 1/4" seat mounting holes to 1/2" using a forstner bit. Then I mixed up some PB and filled the holes up again. Reason? So that today I can re-drill the holes back to 1/4" and not have any possibility of water getting to the plywood inside. I have a 1/8" (~.120") backer plates for the stainless steel swivels so that the seat will be solid forever. The backer plates will go inside the seat lids to give a very solid attachment. So once I re-drill the holes again to 1/4" and install the LEDs and switches, I am PBing them in for final. I think I will also buy the hose for the live well runs and slide them in place too. The rod boxes are now on the table and much thought is going into them. I can see what I want in my mind, but there are still some little issues to get there...

Until next update, you all have an amazing day... :thumb:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
This should help you with your calculations on your foam pour. It IS Temp.Sensitive and 90? is optimal. You have about 20 secs. to mix and 20 secs. to pour it in the hole.

How much Foam Do I Need!

In order to calculate the volume of a cylinder shape you must have the diameter of the pontoon(measurement from side to side) and the total length of the pontoon.

Example: Your pontoon size is 18 inch diameter x 14 feet long
First convert everything to inches. 18 in diam. x 168 inches long.
Since most pontoons are round we need the determine the area of this round part.
Area is radius squared times pi (3.14).
We know that an 18" diameter is a 9" radius.
9" x 9" x 3.14 = 254 square inches
Now we multiple the area by the length.
254 sq. inches x 168 inches long = 42,672 CUBIC INCHES
Lastly we convert that to cubic feet.
42,672 divided by 1,728 = 24.69 cubic feet of total space to fill.

This might not be an exact science since not all pontoons are completely round and usually they taper to each side, but this will give you a good starting point.

How Much time do I have to mix and pour??

After you have combined the two components you have approximately 45 seconds before the foaming process begins. We recommend that you stir the liquids vigorously for 25 seconds, after which time you have another 20 seconds to pour the foam into place. The foam will fully expand in 5 minutes and be fairly hard in about 15 minutes.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Time to get Sticky! Have fun! And you'll end up seeing how crazy cool it is when it expends. Gloves required. :rolleyes:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Thanks WOG and kcassells, I did go back to the U S Composite website and read their questions and answers section for the mix and pour foam. And I think between their instructions and a little experimenting, I will get the amounts pretty close. I mean if a 2lb foam 16lb kit yields 8 cubic feet, then 16ozs of part A and 16ozs of part B should yield one cubic foot. I can percentage that down to my needs and see if it follows that equation closely. Either way, it looks like a fun time... :smile: I will snap some pictures because while I do have video capabilities, I don't know how to post them on here. So still shots will have to do... :thumb:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
best way to post vids is to either shoot em and then load to your PB account and then from there to iBoats OR load em to YouTube and attach em from there. If you need help. PM me and I'll call you and talk you thru it.;)