1976 Tom Boy Boat, 1976 40 HP Johnson Outboard and who knows what Trailer

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Gm , If you put the 1708 on mat side up You will need to put a layer of csm down first . Wet on wet from what I understand . If ya don't feel up to doing it all at the same time . Then I would put mat side down . Then the next day put a layer of csm on if you want .
Heck , you could probably just use 1 or 2 layer of just csm . I only used the 1708 for extra strength seeing as The deck was the foam core ..

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Gm , If you put the 1708 on mat side up You will need to put a layer of csm down first . Wet on wet from what I understand . If ya don't feel up to doing it all at the same time . Then I would put mat side down . Then the next day put a layer of csm on if you want .
Heck , you could probably just use 1 or 2 layer of just csm . I only used the 1708 for extra strength seeing as The deck was the foam core ..

Sam that makes sense. I guess I'll just use the 1708 and do the usual double tabbing and move on. Being how it will be carpeted anyway, it really won't matter. I am hopeful today to get the fillets and maybe even some tabbing done. Well that's the initial plan anyway. Temps have a way of changing that so many times...

gm280

Supreme Mariner
My daily update...

Okay the floor is in and filleted too. And I have to say I am extremely pleased in how it all turn out. I have to admit, I did have my doubts along the way, but it came out like I planned. So tomorrow I do a cursory grinding/sanding on any tips sticking up from the PBed fillets and then another vacuum and then start the tabbing. I also finished the poly CSM on some scrap plywood to make the 24 plugs for the mix and pour holes. I set the hole saw up in the drill press and removed the center drill bit so it cuts just the plugs without a center hole. Seems to work pretty well. And so I don't have to worry about filling in those center holes when I PB them in place... Here are the floor with fillet pictures as proof. Remember without pictures it didn't happen...
Floor pb-15.JPG
AS you can see I also PBed the two from pieces in place as well and that leaves only the center section open now. You can see the PVC pipe for the trolling motor cables. The center section will not be foamed leaving water drainage to the transom area. I still think I will poly a mesh screen over that to keep items from going in. This area will be the front storage section after it all is finished.
Floor pb-16.JPG
Another view of the front section.
Floor pb-17.JPG
And finally a front to rear shot of the floor installed and filleted...

Tomorrow starts the tabbing... It is getting exciting again and if the weather temps subside, I can see this move along quickly now...

You all that a great day... :thumb:

Last edited:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Looking good !
The last pic kinda resembles Homer Simpsons hairdo ... :lol:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Oh Sam, Homer only wishes he had that many hairs on his head... :smile:

I have some sad news today. A long yard friend died today. My 26 year old 3HP gas edger edged its last driveway today. As I was mowing the yard and then edging so I could work on the boat again, the edger started making a weird noise. I thought maybe the muffler was working loose again. But then a loud bang and the back side of the engine casing opened up and let all the sun light to flood in, as it slowly came to a stop. I had that edger for 26 years. I feel like a close friend has gone... It was an OLD Craftsman Tecumseh 3HP horizontal engine edger. AND honestly it would crank on the first pull so many times. Even today it started on the first pull...and now no more pulls ever again... :disturbed: :violin:

I did get to grind off all the poly pricks on the PB fillets. And was even going to tab. But the heat had different ideas and I quit early today...

Oh well tomorrow is another day... :thumb:

Mark72233

Ensign
gm, my condolences on your loss, I tipped over some 2 cycle oil as a tribute to the Craftsmans. :rip:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Sorry for your loss gm .. :sorry: At least it went out doing what it loved to do for so many years ...

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Okay still recuperating from my recent yard equipment loss, here is todays updates... :D

Today I tabbed in everything for the first tabbing of the floor and thought I was going to get the second tabbing finished as well. BUT, stupid me mix the first batch of poly with less then 1% mixture. I thought I was merely mixing 350mls of poly when it was actually 700mls. SO my usual 1% mixture, because of the heat, was now .5%. SOoo it was taking a little longer to do its thing. It still kicked, but not quite as fast as I was expecting... :doh: So I turned my attention to cutting out the 24 hole plugs I knew I would need. And that was actually pretty fun. I set the drill press up with the 2 1/8" hole saw and made an insert to take out the center drill bit so the plugs would be full without ant center holes. And that work really great. I prepared these scrap pieces of plywood a few days ago with poly and CSM both sides. Here are the pictures.
FLoor pucks (1).JPG
Who would have thought those cheap hole saws would have worked so well... :noidea:
FLoor pucks (3).JPG
I needed to cut out 24 for the mix and pour foam holes... I know there are more then 24. I said is was pretty fun... :whoo:
I wonder why I got the feeling like I wanted to play checkers all after noon... :facepalm:
FLoor pucks (4).JPG
First tabbing complete, one more to go. YEA!
FLoor pucks (5).JPG
I know that floor is never ever coming out again...not without a saw and grinder... I sure hope the fish appreciate all this work! :blabla:

Well even with the heat still in the mid 90's, there is a different feel in the air. A little less humidity and just a different feel.

Our hummingbirds are going crazy feeding up for their long journey to South America coming soon. I think we have well over 50 this year. Years pass we had well over 100, and they are drinking near a gallon of fluid daily again...

Until next time, you all have a wonderful day... :thumb:

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Got to love watching those humming birds. I get them too. Gm work is looking real nice. Are you going to put that tray of cookies in the oven?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Got to love watching those humming birds. I get them too. Gm work is looking real nice. Are you going to put that tray of cookies in the oven?

If I thought those cookies would soften up some I would... I don't think even termites would eat them... :eek:

We've been feeding hummingbirds for years. The neighbors love to come and watch them. They never ever seen so many birds before.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Daily update...

Okay I finished the second tabbing of the floor now and that puppy is not ever coming back out again. However, I am also getting low on the last of my initial three five gallon buckets of 435 polyester resin. I think I have half a bucket remaining, not enough to finish, I don't think. So I think I need to order at least one more to finish up with the rod boxes and helm sections yet. Here are the pictures for the 1708 final tabbing work though.
Floor in (1).JPG
That 1708 can sure soak up the poly resin.
Floor in (2).JPG
After this cures up I can get my little grinder and clear all the mix and pour openings from the tabbing efforts.
Floor in (4).JPG
I even tabbed the floor to the transom again. I don't now know how many tabbing that transom has now, but it is like a rock.
Floor in (5).JPG
You can see the sides with the 1708. Still wet but solid too.
Floor in (7).JPG
And one final look from an angle.
Now I can work the seat boxes with the stainless steel piano hinges and the rod boxes that will run down each side. Such hope this thing will float...:facepalm:

Okay Back to work now...

You all have a magnificent day... :thumb:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
As always looks great !
Need to pick up 5er # 4 also .... Where does it all go ..

gm280

Supreme Mariner
As always looks great !
Need to pick up 5er # 4 also .... Where does it all go ..

I originally bought the three five gallon buckets, I thought I would never use it up on this project. Well I am about 80% finished with the actual polyester usage and I know I will need at least one more five gallon bucket. It takes a lot to water proof plywood and such and I have two rod boxes and a front helm and platform to make yet. So I don't have any choice but to buy one more. Funny how the first one seem to last forever. But the next two went quickly... Must be some boat builder's Murphy type law... :violin:

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Once again, it's coming along very nicely. At this rate you may be on the water before me.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Oh bonz_d, I don't think I will finish before you. I get these energy spurts and go like crazy and then something stops me. I have made a lot of progress recently but now I come to the little things again. Like installing the lights, reed switches and stuff like that that slows me way down again. I know what I want to do, but there are so many ways to do some things, that I have to think of all of them to figure out which way is the better. I am at that stage again. So today I managed to install the piano hinges on the seat boxes and cut out the access panel in the live well back panel so IF there is ever a need to access the plumbing, I can remove an access panel and work on it without tearing the live well out. So little things like those things take a lot of thinking to make it all work properly and look great too. And being how everything has to be stainless steel with machine type screws, it take a lot of backing nut plates and fasteners. No standard wood type screws to allow water intrusion. Everything has to be water proofed and predrilled with nut plates and "T" nuts.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Spurts, I understand spurts. Between the 2 trailers, a couple outboard engines and the Sea Nymph I haven't touched the Alumacraft in weeks. Not to mention the weather hold ups. The Alumacraft is taking up all the garage space so everything else is being done outside.

As for hardware, I'm about ready to make up a list and just order quantities from McMaster-Carr instead of dealing with the high prices at the hardware store.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Spurts, I understand spurts. Between the 2 trailers, a couple outboard engines and the Sea Nymph I haven't touched the Alumacraft in weeks. Not to mention the weather hold ups. The Alumacraft is taking up all the garage space so everything else is being done outside.

As for hardware, I'm about ready to make up a list and just order quantities from McMaster-Carr instead of dealing with the high prices at the hardware store.

Actually bonz_d, I do exactly that. I order lots of hardware online and it really is a good way to save money and have the proper hardware at hand. While I do keep tons of all types of hardware on hand sorted in proper sizes and such form tearing things apart before trashing them, it always seems to be short when I need certain pieces. If I need four of one type hardware, I can easily find three, but never the fourth for some reason. Now if I need five, then I can find four... :facepalm: I think it is some weird law in play...

Mark72233

Ensign
Yeah, its called ":Murphys Law" and Murphy has a really mean sense of humor :biggrin1: