Damaged Hull -- Pictures

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Damaged Hull -- Pictures

Yep, Epoxy is what the Wood Boat guys Always use. Poly and Vinylester is the main choice of the Glass boat industry and the Racing boats use epoxies and composites. This guide

http://www.fiberglasssite.com/servlet/the-68/Fiberglass-Information,-and-How/Detail

will give you some helpful info on how much resin you'll end up using. I can tell you from experience it always takes a lot more than you think For example the deck on your boat is, and I'm guessing, approx. 65 sq ft. on top and bottom to that's 130 total sq ft. That's 14 1/2 sq yds. Based on that it will take a bit over of 1 1/2 gallons just to do the top and bottom of the deck if you use cloth on the top of the deck which you should. You will need to make Peanut Butter for filleting and this takes up more resin than you think. At least another gallon maybe two. It all adds up. Just wanting you to be prepared when the time comes.

a1964rn

Petty Officer 1st Class

PH16_350.jpg

This boat is built from a kit. It is 16 foot long with a 7'5" beam, and built with epoxy over plywood. Exterior hull, interior hull, stringers, transom, sole, fairing, pb, glue, etc., etc. The epoxy supply for this boat kit comes with 12 gallons, which includes 15% wastage.
There's NO way he's gonna use 15 gallons.

jbcurt00

Staff member

15% waste sounds like a nice healthy overage. For a novice, 20-25% waste may not be enough.

Whichever way it works out, I'd much rather have 4gals left over (out of 15 total) then need a 1/2gal more. And that's knowing that I'll go out of my way to make sure anytime I have kicking resin left unused after 1 step, I'll have little parts & piece waiting to use it up. Same with PB, filling & fairing mixes too... The same applies to the funding of 15gals, I'd rather expect to spend $1500, and end up having $250 unspent, then plan for $1000 & need to come up w/ the extra.

These are nice conversation pieces, but does anybody really need more then 2:
IMAG0537.jpg

Although I've never built that 16' epoxy & plywood boat, I'd expect most builders to need more then the 12gal that comes w/ the kit. Moderately accomplished thru experienced boat builders might even be able to build it w/ 11gals. But that's just IMHO.....

In the end, both epoxy & poly have good & bad characteristics and various places in a resto can be completed w/ 1, the other or both...... And unless there is a close local supplier of resin, running out of resin can greatly slow progress.

More to Peter's Q:
Do you think it would be overkill if after I patched any and all cracks and holes I find in the hull I put down a layer or 2 of glass on the hull just for some extra reinforcement from the inside? I personally think it would be a good idea seeing that the fiberglass is 34 years old. however I don't know if that would really be necessary. What do you guys thing? Do you think it's something that I should consider doing? Again, thank you for following my thread and for all the information! You guys are AWESOME!

Adding a layer or 2 of CSM to the entire hull, will consume quite a bit of CSM & resin, which may not be budget build friendly. If you think that there is reason enough to consider adding it, it may be worth the effort & money to prevent future What if? dilemmas...

Note: the 1/4" PB filled gap between the hull & stringer prevents cracking of the fiberglass hull when it flexes, and as a fiberglass boat, it likely will. Adding additional cloth & resin and their associated weight & rigidity, may change the way the hull handles & flexes. Since this rig is a tri-hull, the hull should be thicker then a similar sized deep or semi-V, which may already have minimal flexing by it's very design & construction.

Like the epoxy vs poly debate, it is solely up to you as the rebuilder of this Gypsy as to whether additional resin & cloth are necessary or recommended.....
:peace:

tallcanadian

Captain

I would definitely add a few more layers in the damaged are for support. I'm actually looking at adding a couple extra layers where my bunks sit. I've been walking in it while it's on the trailer and can appreciate the strength of that area so adding some more support will not hurt.

jbcurt00

Staff member

I would definitely add a few more layers in the damaged are for support. I'm actually looking at adding a couple extra layers where my bunks sit. I've been walking in it while it's on the trailer and can appreciate the strength of that area so adding some more support will not hurt.

Oops, I took it to mean covering the entire interior of the hull w/ 2 layers, not a spot patch over the repaired damage......
sorry.gif

Spot patching over the repairs absolutely makes sense...
Darn internet, hard to divine the important details, and once off course, well... urp :fear:

TC's got ya covered. Thanks TC

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Hi Pt9 ! Just subscribed to your journey into the glass boat restore world . Your just like most of us here . I was always around boats I even worked on commercial fishing / shrimp boats as a teenager but I really never learned about repairing them . So I too was kinda scared to take on a project like this . I did not know much at all and now well I still don,t know much . But I,m learning ! :) Stay positive and do small steps and you will be just fine .
BTW glad to see another MFG saved from the landfill !
Later SP..

jbcurt00

Staff member

Come on SP, no offer to pull a mold off the H/T & hook Peter up? :suspicious:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Hmmmm mold off the H/T .. Thats an idea ! I don,t know . It prolly wouldn,t fit ... Sounds like fun but we would have to get YD to coach me through it ..:)

Peter9Do

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, I had all intentions of beefing up the damaged areas of the boat but I honestly was asking if I should layer the whole boat. I guess you right though, I don't really need all of that. I just figured while it's all apart why not give it a little more armor! But that would be overkill and a little costly. I'll just stick to the original game plan.

As for this weekend, I hate to say this but my back, neck and arm have become progressively worse to the point I can barely move without agonizing pain, so I think it would be best if I spent the weekend in the office doing some reading and working on computers.

a1964rn

Petty Officer 1st Class

As for this weekend, I hate to say this but my back, neck and arm have become progressively worse to the point I can barely move without agonizing pain, so I think it would be best if I spent the weekend in the office doing some reading and working on computers.

Sounds like you may have a torn rotator cuff or dislocated shoulder. You need to be seeing a DR. for that.

Peter9Do

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I don't think it's that serious. I think I just pulled a muscle. On Monday, I went outside after work to take out all the electrical, throttle and steering cables off the motor and when I reached for a wrench I heard a pop. To make a long story short it's been very uncomfortable since. We will see what happens though, I might just make it out there this weekend after all or the hospital, which ever one comes first... lol! It sucks because we're supposed to have 50 degree weather this weekend, so it would be nice to get some work done.

Peter9Do

Petty Officer 2nd Class

BAD MOVE!!!! I took the motor off the boat and now my shoulder is KILLING ME! ---> What was I thinking???

Peter9Do

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'M BACK IN THE GAME KIDS!!!!! Well, after taking a week to recover, I feel MUCH better. I stayed away from the project and this forum, because reading this makes me want to go out in my garage and do some work!

So today, I had to reinforce the motor a little on the mount so I knocked all that out and I removed the strap from the motor. Now my stand is supporting all of the weight and quite well I must add! Please see the picture, I had to make some changes from the last photos of the mount but everything went smooth with no incident and it all worked out GREAT!

2012-12-15_17-45-21_188.jpg

Also, as I was removing various items from the transom and inspecting areas I was not able to see because the motor was in the way I happened to find yet another hole in the boat. The location is right in the back on the bottom. I took a picture of the transom and where the drain hole is. If you look on the bottom you can't miss the hole I have taken a picture of that as well and posted it below. This would also explain why the ground is wet towards the back of the boat.

2012-12-15_17-49-01_39.jpg 2012-12-15_17-48-04_274.jpg

Looks like I have a little more fiberglass work in the near future! But I guess seeing that I'm doing all this work anyways, no reason to get upset over another hole, right?

tallcanadian

Captain

This poor girl was abused for sure. So what's another hole amongst friends? lol. Any cracks in the transom at all? Under the motor mounts all okay? Your doing good. Glad the shoulder is better.

Peter9Do

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks! The transom looks good thus far. The location of the hole makes me wonder though, because it's so close to the end of the boat and almost directly under the transom I'm wondering if there will be some damage to it along the bottom. Once I get the measurements down and take the cap off I'm sure to uncover some kind of disaster. I'm just going to plan on replacing the transom.

I don't know if I should get the boat off of the trailer then take the cap off or take the cap off then get to working on the cradle. I think it might be easier for me to take the floor out and the cap, then move it but I'm concerned about the stability of the hull once I remove basically all the structure and support. What do you think?

tallcanadian

Captain

If your going to move it, move it as is then remove it all after. This will lessen the chance for more damage on that hull. If your going to build a cradle, try to make it so the damaged areas are exposed, thus making it easier to work on. You will have to do some exterior work as well. And yes, I agree, prepare yourself for transom replacement. If it's not rotten now, I'd be very surprised. I'll tell you what. If that transom is not rotten, I'll send you one of my tri hull stickers that I bought off another member here. Here is a pic...

DSCF1524.jpg

Peter9Do

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well for some reason, the comment I left the other day did not post... That's kind of strange.

Anyways, I just wanted to let you know that's a very generous bet you're putting up there TallCanadian! However, I think you will be keeping that attractive looking sticker for yourself. Matter of fact I'll even up the bet here. I'm so sure that, the transom is rotted (regardless of no visual signs) If there is NO rot I would be willing to wear a DRESS the first time I take this boat out on the water! I'm a man of my words, I will take pictures and post them to prove it (not that anyone wants to see me in a dress, however I'm sure the public humiliation not only locally but on this forum would be more than I care to deal with)... That's how sure I am that this transom suffers from some kind of rot! Anyways rotted out or not I'm going to replace it. I was thinking about it the other night and I'm going to go with the 30 year plan on this boat. I only want to take this boat apart once! If I have everything apart I might as well do the transom too. Why leave that the only piece of wood from the 70s might as well just swap it out so I'm not ripping up the floor and everything in 5 years from now. You know what I mean? Does that make sense? If the boat has lasted over 30 years the way it was, if I change out all the wood and fix all the fiberglass than I should be able to get another 30 years out of it right?

Also, I think I'm going to take out as much of the floor out as I can without taking the cap off then moving the boat to a cradle, then taking the cap off. How does that sound? I want to make it a little lighter because I think I can just use a couple of ratchet straps to the garage ceiling if it was just a little bit lighter to take it off the trailer. I only need an inch or so to get the trailer out from under it and then I will build the cradle and set her down nice and easy! I just don't want to delay this much more and I just ran into a couple of problems financially and it might be a little while before I'm going to be able to put some decent money into this thing! I swear anything that could have cost me money this month has all come in the matter of a week. My savings have dwindled down dramatically. However I should be back on my feet within a month or so, CAN'T KEEP A GOOD MAN DOWN!

jbcurt00

Staff member

All that ^^ sounds like a pretty good plan to me...

Well all but that bit about a dress, nobody really want's to see that, but here's a little help in the motivational department:

popcorn.gif

EDIT: dancing gif didn't attach.... But here it is again:
balletman_zps4ca2d383.gif

Last edited:

tallcanadian

Captain

All that ^^ sounds like a pretty good plan to me...

Well all but that bit about a dress, nobody really want's to see that, but here's a little help in the motivational department:

balletclr.gif

Just a red x there JB. And I will see that dress on Peter..hahaha.

Peter9Do

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm 95% you will not be seeing me in a dress... i looked in the hole near the transom while i was trying to get the boat a little straighter on the trailer and i think that transom is rotted in the middle. But the time will come where we peel back the skin!