Repair to boat interier ie - headliner peeling/mildew damage to wall coverings

PDGORMAN

Recruit
I have a 27' 1979 Bayliner Victoria that needs interier work. The vynal(?) coverings used for wall portions and headliner have mildew stains and areas of the headliner are peeling. I would like to strip affected areas and replace. I am not sure what is the best way to approach the problem and what materials I should use. I would apppreciate any information you could give me on this situation. I find all sorts of "repair" information on vynal seat repairs and such but nothing relating to wall/headliner coverings. My thanks to any who reply in advance!

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Repair to boat interier ie - headliner peeling/mildew damage to wall coverings

I have a 27' 1979 Bayliner Victoria that needs interier work. The vynal(?) coverings used for wall portions and headliner have mildew stains and areas of the headliner are peeling. I would like to strip affected areas and replace. I am not sure what is the best way to approach the problem and what materials I should use. I would apppreciate any information you could give me on this situation. I find all sorts of "repair" information on vynal seat repairs and such but nothing relating to wall/headliner coverings. My thanks to any who reply in advance!

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... I'll move this down to the Restoration forum for ya,...

Lotsa Great help with these things down there...

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral
Re: Repair to boat interier ie - headliner peeling/mildew damage to wall coverings

It would depend on how the vinyl was installed...

On the sides it might just be spray glued. On the Headliner it could be spray glued or lap-stapled across mini cross beams up top.

Is your liner directly applied ( hard when pressed ) .. or is it just kinda loose flappy kinda thing ?

Got pics ?

YD.

PDGORMAN

Recruit

It would depend on how the vinyl was installed...

On the sides it might just be spray glued. On the Headliner it could be spray glued or lap-stapled across mini cross beams up top.

Is your liner directly applied ( hard when pressed ) .. or is it just kinda loose flappy kinda thing ?

Got pics ?

YD.

I am not sure if I am answering this in the proper spot of this post? The liner is directly applied (hard when pressed). I should mention that the liner is probably original but not positively sure. It (headliner) is also has large gaps where it was originally seamed so I am thinking that what I would like to do, is to remove what is there and apply new material. I just don't know what materials are available to me and the best way to apply them? I do not have pictures at this time but I will try to get some to post.

F14CRAZY

Ensign

How about vinyl from Jo Ann fabrics and sprayable contact adhesive?

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Well thats what I was thinking. They have marine vinyl at Jo Anns.

I am not sure if I am answering this in the proper spot of this post? The liner is directly applied (hard when pressed). I should mention that the liner is probably original but not positively sure. It (headliner) is also has large gaps where it was originally seamed so I am thinking that what I would like to do, is to remove what is there and apply new material. I just don't know what materials are available to me and the best way to apply them? I do not have pictures at this time but I will try to get some to post.

Basically if its just Glued to the fiberglass then rip it out and install Whatever you want back in there with more spray adhesive ( remember some of that spray glue is Very harmful and can overcome you if your not wearing a resperator ).

On the headliner .. they sometimes use mini cross supports overhead to which they stretch and staple the liner to. Most times such installation if from front to back. Its hard to explain .. but basically you lay your material side to side and tack it in the front bulkhead. Then fold the material backwards to its new tack point. Then lay your next side to side material across the same tackpoint as your first one and tack it.. then fold that backwards .. rinse and repeat.

Typically you can assume which way they went with ( forward to aft .. or aft to forward ) by a trim piece of wood to finalize the last tack points.

Its soo hard to explain this over the net .. but once you see how They did it this explanation might help you :) .

YD.

F14CRAZY

Ensign

Oh yeah...open all available windows, hatches, etc and have a box fan running. Contact adhesive is pretty nasty. A chemical respirator certainly wouldn't hurt

PDGORMAN

Recruit

Thanks to all that have replied.

There are no cross bracing pieces for the headliner, just straight glued to the surface. I will check out JoAnn Fabrics for the vynal. You indicated that there is a specific "Marine" vynal? Also, what is the adhesive that I want to get for best results? Some have mentioned spray on adhesive. Does something like a "Liquid Nails" work for this application?

Thank you again for all the great input!

Pat G.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

There are no cross bracing pieces for the headliner, just straight glued to the surface. I will check out JoAnn Fabrics for the vynal. You indicated that there is a specific "Marine" vynal? Also, what is the adhesive that I want to get for best results? Some have mentioned spray on adhesive. Does something like a "Liquid Nails" work for this application?

Thank you again for all the great input!

Pat G.

No on the liquid nails :) ..

You want spray adhesive .. like 3m 33+ I think it is.

There is a few sprays that are less caustic available that canvas guys use.

Still use a resporator when applying any spray stuff..

YD.

F14CRAZY

Ensign

Automotive supply stores stock interior spray contact adhesive...the Permatex stuffs works the best from my experience

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Vinyl from JoAnns, would not be my first choice...it works for the DIYer on a budget but try Perfectfit.com to order your vinyl, for the headliner you want a foam backed vinyl

I used Weldwood Contact Cement for most of my applications, you can buy a cheap spray gun for like 25 bucks at Harbor freight
Air Paint Spray Gun
these are what I use because they are cheap enough that when they get completely gummed up I just toss them! you need to apply the cement to both surfaces and let it tack up before installing...you can spray about 6 inches all the way accross, on both parts then install and spray another section and work your way down the boat...