Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1992 Bayliner Capri - Restoration and Conversion from L-Drive to Sterndrive

Hello,
    I am new to the forums here at iboats.com. I have been reading many of the threads here and find the knowledge base amongst the members quite impressive.
    My brother and I have decided to restore a 1992 Bayliner Capri. Yes the one with the dreaded L-Drive... We are looking at redesigning the transom to install a merc 305/350 motor and the accompanying alpha-one stern drive.
    Composite lay-up is not a problem for us as we have lots of knowledge and experience in this field.
    I was wondering if anyone has any experience here with this kind of transom redesign and/or specifically with this boat in regards to redesigning the transom?
    From what we see, not only the transom will need redesigning but also a portion of the hull where the L-Drive now sits.:cool

Re: 1992 Bayliner Capri - Restoration and Conversion from L-Drive to Sterndrive

Originally posted by Kwasy Wabbit View Post
    Hello,
    I am new to the forums here at iboats.com. I have been reading many of the threads here and find the knowledge base amongst the members quite impressive.
    My brother and I have decided to restore a 1992 Bayliner Capri. Yes the one with the dreaded L-Drive... We are looking at redesigning the transom to install a merc 305/350 motor and the accompanying alpha-one stern drive.
    Composite lay-up is not a problem for us as we have lots of knowledge and experience in this field.
    I was wondering if anyone has any experience here with this kind of transom redesign and/or specifically with this boat in regards to redesigning the transom?
    From what we see, not only the transom will need redesigning but also a portion of the hull where the L-Drive now sits.:cool
    Ayuh,.... Post up some pictures,...

I think yer lookin' at a Lost cause, as the hull lay-out is completely wrong to install an outdrive...

By the time you re-engineer it, it'll cost more than another hull,.... or two,.... or three....

Comment

Re: 1992 Bayliner Capri - Restoration and Conversion from L-Drive to Sterndrive

Material cost and labour is not an issue.
      I was wondering if anyone has attempted this or a similar conversion.
      The redesign of the transom looks fairly straight forward.

Comment

Working...
      X