• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • ALL iboats Forum Members and Guests:
    To show our appreciation for your participation in the Forums, we're offering an exclusive Forums-only discount good for an additional 5% off your iboats.com order for a limited time.
    To redeem, simply call our Customer Service Team at 800-914-1123 (Open M-F, 9am - 8pm Eastern Time) and mention the Forums 5% off discount. Offer excludes engines, trolling motors, and electronics.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

1992 Bayliner Capri - Restoration and Conversion from L-Drive to Sterndrive

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1992 Bayliner Capri - Restoration and Conversion from L-Drive to Sterndrive

Hello,
    I am new to the forums here at iboats.com. I have been reading many of the threads here and find the knowledge base amongst the members quite impressive.
    My brother and I have decided to restore a 1992 Bayliner Capri. Yes the one with the dreaded L-Drive... We are looking at redesigning the transom to install a merc 305/350 motor and the accompanying alpha-one stern drive.
    Composite lay-up is not a problem for us as we have lots of knowledge and experience in this field.
    I was wondering if anyone has any experience here with this kind of transom redesign and/or specifically with this boat in regards to redesigning the transom?
    From what we see, not only the transom will need redesigning but also a portion of the hull where the L-Drive now sits.:cool

Re: 1992 Bayliner Capri - Restoration and Conversion from L-Drive to Sterndrive

Originally posted by Kwasy Wabbit View Post
    Hello,
    I am new to the forums here at iboats.com. I have been reading many of the threads here and find the knowledge base amongst the members quite impressive.
    My brother and I have decided to restore a 1992 Bayliner Capri. Yes the one with the dreaded L-Drive... We are looking at redesigning the transom to install a merc 305/350 motor and the accompanying alpha-one stern drive.
    Composite lay-up is not a problem for us as we have lots of knowledge and experience in this field.
    I was wondering if anyone has any experience here with this kind of transom redesign and/or specifically with this boat in regards to redesigning the transom?
    From what we see, not only the transom will need redesigning but also a portion of the hull where the L-Drive now sits.:cool
    Ayuh,.... Post up some pictures,...

I think yer lookin' at a Lost cause, as the hull lay-out is completely wrong to install an outdrive...

By the time you re-engineer it, it'll cost more than another hull,.... or two,.... or three....
    Any Grease is Better,..... Than No Grease at All.......

Comment

Re: 1992 Bayliner Capri - Restoration and Conversion from L-Drive to Sterndrive

Material cost and labour is not an issue.
      I was wondering if anyone has attempted this or a similar conversion.
      The redesign of the transom looks fairly straight forward.

Comment

Working...
      X