Rebuilding a rotten pontoon; replacing floor, console, seating and wiring.

Reici

Recruit
Hello Boat People! I purchased a 1992 Lowe 20' Pontoon (Family Series 200) with a Johnson 40 HP outboard. It was owned by an older gentleman who did not use it very often and then after he passed away, it was left sitting for many years. There was a lot of wood rot in the seats and console and though the motor looked as if it did not have many hours on it, it has starting issues. The bimini top got accidental ripped off in the moving process and one of the side rails got bent. I purchased this boat to use as a "down and dirty" fishing boat, (got rid of a cabin cruiser because it was too white and pretty for pulling up fish and cutting up bait on).

The plan is to strip it down and rebuild. I am not a mechanic but am very mechanically incline. I have done everything from rebuilding carburetors and a/c compressors to repairing electrical equipment, building shelves, repairing cabinetry and many other types of work (plumbing, HVAC and electrical) As the saying goes, I am a minor "jack of all trades, master of none"! Back to the plan......I have already purchased some replacement plywood for the decking, found some 11 ply marine grade on craigslist for the same price as the normal 7 ply from the local hardware store. Began disassembling a week ago. The console is my first challenge as I have never taken one apart before. My plan is to build a new one and rewire the entire boat. The current unit is very faded which makes the switches and buttons that no longer function, hard to identify.

I would appreciate any positive advise. Please spare me the negative stuff. I am full aware that it is a "hard job". Part of the reason I am doing this is because I enjoy the challenge. I have 9 and 13 yr old boys who call me "the fixer". I don't need to "recreate the wheel" and would love some hard earned experiential advice. I was trying to search the forum for information on separating the steering cable, but did not come up with the type of information I was hoping for. Though I did see where I can order a manual on my new toy.... so.... Thanks for your advice (in advance).

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Rebuilding a rotten pontoon; replacing floor, console, seating and wiring.

Welcome to iboats.

It's not a hard job but a tedious one!

I will move this to our restoration section and you will receive ton's of help and sound advice.

Check out our completed projects section and you will see a very interesting Pontoon project.

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

Welcome to iboats. Its sounds like you have the right attitude and more than enough skill to do this... You mentioned re-wiring the boat.... Its good that have some electrical experience, because that's a critical system. If you want (or need) a refresher on DC 12 Volt marine electrical, the electrical forum is very good.

Also, there are 2 books that have been invaluable to me:

1. Powerboater's Guide to Electrical Systems - By Edwin Sherman; and

2. The 12 Volt Bible for Boats - Sherman, Brotherton and Miner.

Nice score on the marine ply... I would consider sealing it (e.g. with something like epoxy resin) before putting your carpet down.

Hope this helps.

Good luck.
pmc

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

I have just more or less finished up the same thing on my 20 foot, Take a peek at the link in my signature and If you have any questions shoot me a IM. Mine was rebuilt with fishing as its prime use in mind and you will find many who have also done that. A console isn't bad to do. :D

Reici

Recruit

Thanks already for the encouragement, advice and links. Will post some pic's as things move along.:)

glnbnz

Chief Petty Officer

I am signing for the rebuilding fun :)

a1964rn

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm going to keep track as well. I'm restoring a bass boat right now, but my wife wants a pontoon, so that'll probably be my next project. Good luck on the build!

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

A pontoon shouldn't be that hard, it'll just be a lot of work. If you're a "fixer" you shouldn't have any problems.

I second the sealing of the decking as mentioned above, marine plwood will rot just like any other if not sealed.

I suggest you avoid carpet for the deck finish, especially if you're going to fish from your toon. Marine vinyl and "paint on" products are better choices that shed water instead of absorbing and retaining water like carpet does.

Reici

Recruit

Thanks again for the encouragement! Removed EVERYTHING today! Got all of the screws and bolts out! Saw my first peice of 5' x 8' plywood today. It was on the front of the pontoon. Gotta take the boys fishing tomorrow on a headboat going out of Hampton, then out of town for a couple of days. No more progress until mid-week.

Got the recommended books as a kindle down load. Next on the list is to plan and layout the wiring.

Reici

Recruit
Re: Rebuilding a rotten pontoon; console, seating and wiring.

Have been reading the suggested book and it is very well written. Is anyone aware of a good set of instructions on a How To when starting from scratch.

I am trying to decide whether to build a plywood console or pick up a used fiberglass off craigslist. Any suggestions for a place to pickup used boat parts would be great. I recently visited a place that stockpiles used parts and the guy was nuts. I was looking for some bucket style seats for the back and he had a couple. But they were very dirty (moldy) and he was asking $100 apiece for them. Only one had hardware and the plywood bottom was rotten. I ended up purchasing 2 WISE deluxe high back fold down seats. (Amazon and one local) Both were used but looked new and I got them for $25 and $28. New cost was between 55 and 65. The color was gray and navy which was perfect. Now if I can just figure this console thing out.

Last edited:

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

I recently made one my self and ended up putting around 150.00 plus my labor into it. Materials was a sheet of pressure treated 3/4 plywood and some scrap 3/4 PVC trim board that was left over from some shelves I made earlier.

Thought this would give you a idea on that can be done.

the box after it was made , including the cut outs
new consol 2.JPG

the PVC trim on the bottom to stop water from wicking up into the wood
new consol 3.JPG

I sent it off to a upholstery shop to be covered in 1/2 foam and vinyl
new consol 8.JPG

I used studs and wing nuts to mount the bottom access panel
new consol 15.JPG

the finished product
new consol 12.JPG