Poly Resin Fume Explosion?

Jimmy H.

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi, I've learned a few things the hard way so far on my first rebuild and I dont want this to be one of them. I'll soon be applying glass in the garage which has a gas furnace and as far as ventilation there is a bathroom type exhaust fan mounted into the ceiling. Might it be a bad idea to have the furnace turn on while the fumes are fresh and excessive?
What I was thinking was I'd get the garage to a nice temperature ideal for curing, turn on the exhaust fan, shut the furnace off, apply glass, wait until it is cured ( a few hours) open the garage and air it out very well, close the garage and then turn the furnace back on and repeat the cycle...

That way I dont see there being any problem but can anyone shed some light on how serious this could be?
Thanks

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: Poly Resin Fume Explosion?

I ran a box fan out the side window of my garage to provide enough ventilation . . .

I think a bathroom type venting fan would not be good enough to keep the fume concentration low enough. you never know when & how a spark may occur and an explosion will ruin your day.

Jimmy H.

Petty Officer 1st Class

Would've been all over a box fan in the window however there are no windows in this garage. Perhaps I can raise the garage door a few feet, place a box on the ground in the middle and cover the two open areas to the side with plywood or heavy tarps or something. I think with the door open part way a will need the furnace going while I'm glassing. I would think that would be safe with the box fan going because the fumes would be minimal...

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

Hey Jimmy:

I don't have much productive to add other than just use good judgment and be safe...

BUT, what I really wanted to see is if you know a guy that hails from Kelowna, B.C. named Ward who goes by the handle Oops! on this forum (he is one of our moderators, but he's been quiet lately). If you happen to know or bump into this guy, hit him up for some advice on your project (he's a helpful fella), but also give him a big ole smack on the back of the head from his buddy PMC.... :)

Jimmy H.

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't have much productive to add other than just use good judgment and be safe...

Hi PMC, guess that will have to do. I did PM Oops early summer and ask about where he gets supplies in Vancouver but never heard back. If he's out there still maybe he can drop me a line sometime. OK oOPS... HINT HINT...

Anyhow, maybe I'll record video of the indoor fiberglassing incase there is an explosion. That way I can upload it to u-tube. It could be a good way to boost my views on the rebuild thread!! :)

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I HIGHLY recommend that you NOT glass in a closed garage with an open flame heater.

Jimmy H.

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Wood, Are you against the idea of using the box fan while I'm glassing? Any other ideas rather than waiting six months to it warms up? I have a small two car garage 22'x18'x8', no windows, small exhaust fan in the ceiling and a big 4 car+ natural gas furnace... I really want to be able to work on this during winter but safety is more important than my possible you tube explosion video.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

14" flex ducting, Propane tube heater set OUTSIDE the garage blowing heat through the ducting under the garage door using plastic to seal the bottom of the door. Another iBoats member did this and kept his boat @ 70 degrees. Remember you only need the substrate and the resin @ 60 degrees plus for 12 hrs. and then don't let it freeze. After 12 hours you could use the open flame heater and box fan. Just NOT when the resin is first applied and curing.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Hi, I've learned a few things the hard way so far on my first rebuild and I dont want this to be one of them. I'll soon be applying glass in the garage which has a gas furnace and as far as ventilation there is a bathroom type exhaust fan mounted into the ceiling. Might it be a bad idea to have the furnace turn on while the fumes are fresh and excessive?
What I was thinking was I'd get the garage to a nice temperature ideal for curing, turn on the exhaust fan, shut the furnace off, apply glass, wait until it is cured ( a few hours) open the garage and air it out very well, close the garage and then turn the furnace back on and repeat the cycle...

That way I dont see there being any problem but can anyone shed some light on how serious this could be?
Thanks

Your fine with this.

Its not like taking gasoline and spreading it out on the floor and waiting for it to evapurate :) ..

It will stink up the house if its an attached garage though .. tape up them door seams and vents.

Take off your clothes before you enter the house or your wife might complain.

Its NOT going to blow up on ya ( Im gonna get flamed on this I can feel it ).

You would have to be Totaly gassed ( Like chopper gun resin application in a small space ) to get to the Explosive levels.

Not gonna happen mixing a few quarts/gallons of resin. There is not enough Volitiles gassin off.

Keep your MEKP safe from spark though ..

YD.

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

Yd shame on you

You said you would get it. So I would like to be the first. But I agree with you. I have glassed with a propane heater and a kerosene blower with less than explosive results. Setup times are extended quite a bit in colder weather though.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Yd shame on you

You said you would get it. So I would like to be the first. But I agree with you. I have glassed with a propane heater and a kerosene blower with less than explosive results. Setup times are extended quite a bit in colder weather though.

Im Glad it was someone like you to speak first as I do respect you and your opinion :) .

There just is not enough volitility in one gallon of resin gassing off to create the "parts per million" to Flash/Explode in a large environment.

Sure it smells real nasty .. and it affects some peeps more then others.. but its not going to go Kaboom.

Now atomizing it ( spraying ) May have a different result as compared to Brushing the resin. But Its not going to explode.

Get the Substrate ( the boats surface ) temp up ... not just the room temp.

YD.