Roll and Tip Paint Scratch Repair

malyea

Recruit
As you can see, she (an '82 Hunter 30) has a bad scratch on her starboard topside. The PO had her painted in 2004 and the shop is 99% sure they used Imron 555U.

It's too costly to have her hauled and sprayed by a pro sooo...looks like my only option may be to do the best I can dockside with sand paper to feather the edges and attack with 'roll and tip'.

This will be my first ever 'roll and tip' event.

I'd appreciate any tips/advice/cautions that might help me get at least a decent outcome.

Thanks!

Attachments

• DSCF1021.jpg
    DSCF1021.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 0

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
Re: Roll and Tip Paint Scratch Repair

Very simple repair sand flush use the same paint 3m tape (fine edge) then some 1" for brush over flow see that poor lower illustration make the tape lines at a 45 degree angle...They are hard to see that way. Overly simple yep but thats the way you do it... If your good with paint you could sand the line's and buff them but...its tedious..Ohh from the red boot down..
/_________________/

malyea

Recruit

Very simple repair sand flush use the same paint 3m tape (fine edge) then some 1" for brush over flow see that poor lower illustration make the tape lines at a 45 degree angle...They are hard to see that way. Overly simple yep but thats the way you do it... If your good with paint you could sand the line's and buff them but...its tedious..Ohh from the red boot down..
/_________________/

Thanks a lot for taking the time to reply! I'm just not sure exactly what all you said...but I appreciate it!

Here's what I think I got...and a couple questions...

I'm encouraged you think it's a simple repair - that's great cause I've never painted nothin' (except a wall in a house)

Sand the old paint edges smooth - what grit to start and what grit just before painting

The tape discussion I'm just a little fuzzy on - should I up to the tape edge with a full coat or feather/tip so the coat thins near the edge

....and not sure what "Ohh from the red boot down" means exactly...

Are there any more specific steps/tips/advice that might help fill the gaps?

Thanks!!!

malyea

Recruit

Sorry I left out a word...

- "should I up to the tape edge with a full coat" -

should read...

- "should I PAINT up to the tape edge with a full coat"

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Opps let clear it up

3M MMM630 Scotch Fine Line Tape - Hand and Power Tool Shop

That tape is extremely thin and creates a very small edge hard to see. A little expensive and you dont have to use it but its there if you want it. IF you were to use it.... one would half to lay down another line of tape on top of the thin edge..its only 1/2 wide.

Once your sanded and taped yes full coats..Grit 220 to finish out the scratches...360 grit when scuffing or smoothing the painted surface. That red strip is where you start the repair one less tape line to see after your done.

174211d1352157760-roll-tip-paint-scratch-repair-dscf1021.jpg

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

As you can see, she (an '82 Hunter 30) has a bad scratch on her starboard topside. The PO had her painted in 2004 and the shop is 99% sure they used Imron 555U.

It's too costly to have her hauled and sprayed by a pro sooo...looks like my only option may be to do the best I can dockside with sand paper to feather the edges and attack with 'roll and tip'.

This will be my first ever 'roll and tip' event.

I'd appreciate any tips/advice/cautions that might help me get at least a decent outcome.

Thanks!

Looks like your White paint was not prepped right and its failing.

You can try to feather the edge .. but Im thinking its going to lift on any paint edge that you try to feather out.

The solvents will get under those edges and "lift" the existing paint up on your edges.

If you want to do this cheap on the fly without repainting the whole thing .. then feather your edge as best as you can .. then take a small paint brush (1/4" artist brush) with paint along the edges. Let it dry/cure. Then use a foam brush on the rest of the scratch.

I dont think your going to get a Perfect blend line no matter what. Spray or brush. Its gonna be a touch up brush repair until its stripped down and sprayed ( or rolled and tipped ).

YD.