• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse

We're excited to announce the launch of our NEW Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building section on iboats.com! See more details!

This new area was created specifically to meet the needs of those of you who participate in the iboats Boat Restoration, Building, and Hull Repair forum. To kick off the launch, we are giving away free product in every order over $100 as follows:

Spend $100-149: Get a free paint suit (Large only)
Spend $150-199: Get a free sandpaper finish pack & paint suit (Large only)
Spend $200-249: Get a free catalyst dispenser
Spend $250-299: Get a free Sufasolve hand wipes
Spend $300-349: Get a free Aqua Blue buffing compound (quart)
Spend $350-399: Get a free small tint kit
Spend $400+: Get a free Preval sprayer

To qualify for the free products, select any Fiberlay, Spectrum Fiberglass, System Three, or Gibco product.

Also, we have discounted our already low prices by another 5-15%. Stay tuned as we will be giving away 3 $100 iboats gift certificates from May to June to be used on the new fiberglass and epoxy products.

To view the new Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building, go to http://www.iboats.com/Boat-Paint-Repair-Maintenance-Gel-Coat-Cleaners-Carpet-Epoxy/dm/view_id.11
See more
See less

Fiberglass hull repair: Polyester or Epoxy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fiberglass hull repair: Polyester or Epoxy

Hi guys,
    I am currently rebuilding a 1991 Skeeter Bass boat and have reached the point of re-glassing. Right now it is down to the fiberglass hull only and I have noticed several areas on the bottom that were repaired (externally) due to breaks through the hull and I am in the process of grinding the repair off and fixing it from the inside. The areas in question are aprox. 18"x 2" and 10" x 5", as well as a crack about 3 feet long. Yes it is a lot of damage.I am going to gel coat the hull when finished so I need poly to be against the hull/gel coat right? So my plan is to apply 2-3 layers of 1.5 csm to the cracked areas then add a layer of cloth with epoxy resin over the top of it for strength, and finally glass down the stringers with 1708 and poly over the epoxy cloth. My question is will the poly stick on top of the epoxy cloth. Should I even use epoxy? It has been a lot of man hours getting to this point and I never want to have to make this repair again not to mention the bottom of a bass boat takes somewhat of a beating so I need it to be strong. All help will be greatly appreciated.

Re: Fiberglass hull repair: Polyester or Epoxy

Originally posted by Heliguy78 View Post
    Hi guys,
    I am currently rebuilding a 1991 Skeeter Bass boat and have reached the point of re-glassing. Right now it is down to the fiberglass hull only and I have noticed several areas on the bottom that were repaired (externally) due to breaks through the hull and I am in the process of grinding the repair off and fixing it from the inside. The areas in question are aprox. 18"x 2" and 10" x 5", as well as a crack about 3 feet long. Yes it is a lot of damage.I am going to gel coat the hull when finished so I need poly to be against the hull/gel coat right? So my plan is to apply 2-3 layers of 1.5 csm to the cracked areas then add a layer of cloth with epoxy resin over the top of it for strength, and finally glass down the stringers with 1708 and poly over the epoxy cloth. My question is will the poly stick on top of the epoxy cloth. Should I even use epoxy? It has been a lot of man hours getting to this point and I never want to have to make this repair again not to mention the bottom of a bass boat takes somewhat of a beating so I need it to be strong. All help will be greatly appreciated.
    Nope,.... Yer startin' 'n finishin' with Polyester,.... Epoxy has No place in yer build....
    Any Grease is Better,..... Than No Grease at All.......

Comment

Tagging along,.............

Comment

Bondo is right. Epoxy is overkill.
        1986 Carlson CVX-18 Restoration

1995 Sea Ray 220 Signature Deck and Stringer Restoration (SPLASHED!!!)

1981 Glastron SX-190 Rotten Transom Replacement and Re-power! (Splashed and SOLD)

Follow !

Comment

The big issue is that NO the poly wont stick to the epoxy.
          1982 Baja 16ss

Comment

Epoxy has its place. Not here though. IMHO you should use the same type resin as was used to build the hull originally (polyester). That way you will have the same or nearly the same flex and not have any hard or soft spots created from the different combination of materials. Just be sure you abrade the old hull with coarse grinding to get the best mechanical bond you can. There will be little if any chemical bond between the old hull and new resin.

Comment

If vinylester resin is not to much more than poly then I would go with that. Sticks to wood a hell of alot better that poly from my experience/testing. If your having any wood in your boat that is! :>

Comment

Working...
              X