Can I use aluminum to make a transom for Jon Boat?

stuvanhoo

Recruit
Hello,

I am new to posting threads and new to boating. I bought a 14 foot jon boat and love it already. But it needs a new transom. I have aluminum and would like to cut some to fit the area and bolt it in. I have several reasons why I want to use aluminum instead of wood, but the bottom line is I do not know if it is ok to use aluminum. I have seen one post where a guy said it was ok and that the transom generally only has to be 3/16 or 1/4 inch thick when using aluminum. Can any one help me on this? I will be using a motor no bigger than 10 hp. I would also like to know how tall the transom should be. Thanks for any help. :confused:

Stu

GT1000000

Rear Admiral
Re: Can I use aluminum to make a transom for Jon Boat?

Welcome Stu,

Sorry I can't help you out with your question, Monday's are a bit slow around here, but someone who has your answer will be along soon...hang in there

Have Fun!
GT1M

kfa4303

Banned

Hi stu. Welcome to iboats. Sure. you can use aluminum to make the transom, but I would first build a frame out of square aluminum tubing, then cover it with the aluminum sheeting. While possible, it would probably be more trouble than it's worth for a small 10 hp motor. Of course, building a transom out of wood isn't that difficult. Just glue a couple layers of 3/4" NON-Pressure treated, exterior grad plywood together, seal it with a few coats of Spar Urethane and mount it to the hull with stainless steel hardware dipped in some 3M 5200 marine caulk. You can get everything you need from Lowes/HD for less than $100. If you take your time and to it right, it will last for years and years. Good luck. Keep us posted.

Jeep Man

Commander

My old 14' tinny has an all-aluminum transom. So, to answer your question, yes, it can be done and has been done.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

A few have tried, most have failed. If JM will post pics of his, it'll be the first successful one I've ever seen.

A wooden transom will be lighter and stronger, and when properly built/installed and maintained it'll last a lifetime.

A wooden transom will also be cheaper than an aluminum transom, even if you use the highest quality wood and sealer. You can buy a sheet of 3/4" MDO plywood for $50 and a quart of epoxy resin for $24 and build a wood transom you'll never have to worry about.

stuvanhoo

Recruit

Thanks to everyone. To explain a little further, I already have 3/16 inch aluminum sheets that I got for free. I began building a wooden transom, but I got pressure treated wood which is heavier than the aluminum. I plant to carry this boat on a ladder rack while towing my 1982 Palomino POP up, so weight is paramount to me. Also, I know that I will never have to worry about it rotting. I have also been told that with aluminum, the transom does not need to be as thick as with wood.

So those are my reasons. My plan was to cut 2-4 sheets to fit the area and simply bolt them in with stainless steel bolts. That will get me a solid sheet between 3/8 and 3/4 inch thick, although I have enough aluminum to make it any thickness needed. Does this sound reasonable? I also thought about gluing them together before bolting, but I can't see why that would be necassary. I had not thought about the frame suggestion and will consider that also. How does the idea of simply bolting in 2-4 sheets cut to fit sound?

JignGrub,
Do you know why aluminum i s problematic?

JeepMan,
How is yours designed?

jbcurt00

Staff member

Thanks to everyone. To explain a little further, I already have 3/16 inch aluminum sheets that I got for free. I began building a wooden transom, but I got pressure treated wood which is heavier than the aluminum. I plant to carry this boat on a ladder rack while towing my 1982 Palomino POP up, so weigh...............

Well, I'm sorry I can't answer the 2 questions you asked in the post I quoted, but you DO NOT want to use pressure treated plywood in your aluminum boat.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

3/4" plywood weighs approximately 2.5 lbs per sq. ft. 3/4" Aluminum weighs approximately 11 lbs per sq. ft. If your transom is 3.5 ft wide and 2 ft deep that's approx. 7 sq. ft. Your all aluminum transom will weigh 77 lbs as opposed to 17.5 lbs for plywood. When building boats you want to keep them as light as possible in order to increase their cargo capacity. That's my humble opinion.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

What jb and WOG said^^^^

Pressure treated wood will corrode aluminum.

There now way you can make an aluminum transom as strong and as light as wood, it's either going to be the same weight and weaker or the same strength and heavier. Most people go for the lighter weaker aluminum transom and that's where they fail.

For a strong light weight transom you just can't beat kiln dried exterior grade plywood. Seal it up with a good exterior grade paint before installing and it'll last for decades.

kfa4303

Banned

+1. Good ol' non-PT, exterior grade plywood works great and is very cost effective. Aluminum is getting pricey and welding it takes a lot of practice and a delicate hand. If you seal it with 2-part epoxy and mount it with stainless steel hardware, it will be bulletproof for ages, and you don't need any special tools to work on it.