1958 14' Fleetform

cpenrose

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello, I'm new to this forum and I'm amazed at all the info on this site. I'm 13 and I might be picking up a 14 foot fleetform runabout after Hurricane Sandy decides to leave. The gelcoat is terrible and there is no windsheild. I can't really see from the pictures, but it appears the floor might need to be replaced. My questions are, what should I do with the gel coat, sand it and re do it, paint it? There is also no trailer. I have some fiberglass and epoxy. Also, would a 9.9 even move one of these? That is the maximum I could use being 13. And finally, if I needed to, how would I replace soft spots in the hull. Im guessing you cut it out and put a plug in with fiberglass and filler then sand it. But, anyway any ideas or previous owners, if so, how seaworthy are they it will be MY first boat, but my dad has owned two.

matt167

Captain
Re: 1958 14' Fleetform

9.9hp will move the 14' boat, but it probably won't plane. As for gelcoat, and floors. Sounds like the boats pretty rough. I just looked them up and they look like a boat worth saving, but you will have cheaper, quicker fun with a Jon boat..

Very least, your looking at stringers, transom. fiberglass doesn't really rot so beyond hull damage or fire damage, it should be buildable ( at a cost ). .. With a 9.9, it'll likely run displacement speeds which means it will never get on plane. Your looking at about 4mph

jbcurt00

Staff member

Post some pix of the Fleetform, particularly the deck (floor) and transom.

Hard to make suggestions about a direction/plan if there's no pix for reference. Use photobucket and copy/paste the code, it will be in box below the pix after you upload them, and looks something like this:

IMG]http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/jbcurt00/chine.gif[/IMG

And when you submit the reply it posts the pix nice & big IN your thread so that you don't have to click an attachment & open it, to view the pix:
[IMG]http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg618/jbcurt00/chine.gif

How do you plan to transport a 14' runabout w/ out a trailer. That might be a good 1st step, towable trailer. Of course, at 13, you can't drive to tow it anyway. But unless you live on the water or can leave it in the water year-round, you'll probably need a trailer. The windshield may prove problematic, but there are options for making your own, and you might find 1 on ebay, craigslist or locally on a donor boat. That donor may have a trailer too....

Welcome to the iboats dry dock! :)

If you find you like this type of work, by the time you can drive & tow a boat, you'll be ready to take on a bigger more involved project.

W/out a trailer & in need of an overhaul, don't spend too much on it. There will be many inexpensive project boats starting to become available as winter approaches. At 13 can you legally own a boat in NJ? Sounds like there are some age specific regulations in NJ if you can only operate up to a 9.9hp. Make sure you & your dad (parents) fully understand NJ policy on title, registration, and transfer of ownership if there are no titles & current registration. Some states it's very difficult if there is no clear title, other states it's significantly easier.

Good to have you here early. I started my boat ownership much later in life. Although it was very nice to have many friends w/ boats growing up :D

If you do get a fiberglass boat, personal protective equipment is mandatory. respirator, goggles, and a tyvek suit if you need to grind/sand much surface area....

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Are you wanting to do this just so you can have a project and learn how to work with fiberglass, or are you wanting a boat to go fishin? If you just want to go fishin, I'd look for a boat that's more ready to go.

cpenrose

Petty Officer 1st Class

fleetform 1.jpgfleetform 2.jpg

Not sure if the pics showed but I realized that if I drive a half hour more to deleware or even maryland, I can have any motor I want if I just pass the test. And of course, It will be the biggest engine my boat and I could handle. So that solves that problem. Like I said I can't see most of the floor from the pics but from the tiny bit I can see, it looks bad. The trailer I might have to do some work and buy one fast and cheap, and maybe sell it for the project money, and buy another when its done. With the windsheild problem, could i make a mold out of wood and heat it and bend it over out of acrylic/plexiglass? By the way I love this stuff. I'd much rather customize a very nice boat than buy a jon boat quickly. Ive built a few wooden boats too. Though I do want to fish when I'm done :) Thanks for the help so far guys.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Based on the pics you've posted, I'd guesstimate a rebuild budget of a minimum of $1,500 dollars, not including the cost of a trailer and or windshield. I truly believe I'm being very conservative here, and it could easily be a lot more. You will need a total rebuild of the Transom, Stringers and deck, some kind of interior, gelcoat or paint, steering components, electrical components. Lots to consider if you want to bring this old girl back to life.

cpenrose

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm good with the steering components which since it already has ads wheel, along with what I have and some 4 dollar or less pulleys. the electrical will not be complicated, it will most likely be just electris start and a fish finder and a handheld GPS which I'm fine with. the transom shouldn't be too bad, but paint/gelcoat and the stringers I may need help. with the stringers I know how to do it but I don't know what it should be made from. paint and gelcoat I have no clue what I'm doing

cpenrose

Petty Officer 1st Class

Also, anyone know what the horsepower rating might be?

jbcurt00

Staff member

Fleetformb58002.jpg

800px-Fleetformbb001.jpg

Suggests a 40hp max

From here

cpenrose

Petty Officer 1st Class

That should get it moving and 450 lbs with or without a motor?

jbcurt00

Staff member

Hmm... Pix ad says 450lbs, the spec sheet says 460lbs..

W/ a 120-160lb 28-40hp motor, likely it's w/ a motor....

I have that 35hp Johnson Javelin. It isn't extremely heavy but it is heavier then it looks.

cpenrose

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well my mom is fine with this as long as I dont take up garage space since it already has a truck my uncle and I are working on. Anyone have ideas on storage outside? I don't want brand new components rotting. I was thinking of building a pvc framed shed kind of thing with a tarp over it as the roof and maybe a floor. Now I just need my dad to agree... and he can't pound a nail so he doen't see things like you guys do haha.

matt167

Captain

If you can get away with it, Harbor Freight has 10x17' tent garages that work well for that kind of thing. I think there $189. You can't build a frame and buy covering material for much less than that.

cpenrose

Petty Officer 1st Class

The seller is being SUPER helpful. He offered, meaning I didnt ask, to deliver it for free and give it to me as long as I restore it. Even my parents couldnt argue with that. So hopefully I'll be starting soon he'll be coming on sunday.

cpenrose

Petty Officer 1st Class

The guy told me it never had a floor and the transom was taken out. So I think im going to need to replace just about everything but the shell and hopefully whatever is left of the steering which is probably just the steering wheel. He suggested paint because its easier. I thought should know what hes doing because he builds Dawson and shearwater boats and is restoring a 60ft carolina sf. But I would like to hear what you guys think about paint or gelcoat. Also, how do I need help on stringers, mostly on how I would cut them to fit without using the old ones as a template, same with the floor.

matt167

Captain

Start drilling those ribs on the 'floor' for core samples. They are encapsulated stringers and that was a common way to build the floor back then.. I looked at a '59 White House built the exact same way.. If they are rotted, you need to remove and replace. Woodonglass can guide you thru better than I can, but that's a fairly rough boat, but new fiberglass will stick to cleaned up old fiberglass, so it's still workable.

cpenrose

Petty Officer 1st Class

No need for core samples, I would guess if you can step through the stringers and touch the shell they need replacing:rolleyes: I'm really wondering what I'm supposed to do with the gel coat. It is cracked everywhere in the white, though the black is in suprisingly good condition I should be able to just sand a bit and paint there. Do I chisel it off?

matt167

Captain

First, you should build a cradle out of 2x4's to support it. Then you can pull the cap off the hull. Could be stapled, riveted or screwed in place and might even be bonded ( fiber-glassed ) to the hull. There are threads you can look thru to see how it is done. After that, you need to sand/ grind the inside so you can make repairs from the inside. Those cracks are voids, at that point it is not a gel coat problem but a problem with the 'glass itself.. You can sand the outside of the boat and paint it. It may or may not need some repair from the outside to get it right.