Starcraft Jet Star 15 Restore

boatbeginner1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Starcraft Jet Star 15 Restore

After further research, the lights do say it is set up for 12V Marine Battery hook up so we will wait and see

jbcurt00

Staff member

Dang, directions :faint2:

Good news on the compatibility!

boatbeginner1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Quick Question on painting: Its been raining for the past couple days now. Humidity is high but is dropping to around 50% this afternoon. Will humidity affect painting? If so, what humidity percentage is safe to paint at?

boatbeginner1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Keep meaning to post an update. Ive finished painting the exterior of the hull White. Looks pretty good for the my first time painting a boat.
IMG_0014.jpg

Tomorrow I am going to try to prep everything else: Splashwell, Gunwhales, Interior of the hull, topside. Should be able to get it painted this week/weekend.

When I cut the floor boards, I miscut one piece that goes between the back 8foot board and the triangular hull piece. I am going to place all the wood in the baot tomorrow and cut the piece.

This weekend I purchased 4 13 inch tires. They are to wide and tall. If anyone is interested, send me a PM and I can send some pictures.

Have a good evening,
BB

boatbeginner1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Got a lot done this weekend. Cut and fit the insulation Saturday and had some finishing touches Sunday.
IMG_00001.jpg

Then put the support boards in.

IMG_00002.jpg

And finally the floor!

IMG_00003.jpg

I ran out of epoxy while epoxying all the boards so thats why there is a missing board.

Ive been looking for seas. Online, the seats have bases that are way to big. Has anyone had to cut these before? If so, how did that work? For the steering system, does anyone recommend a certain system over another?

Thanks for your help so far! It is almost ready to be splashed!

BB

boatbeginner1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Havent heard back from anyone yet.

Anyone have opinions on how to cut the base height or opinions on the steering systems?

jbcurt00

Staff member
LOTS of folks aren't online this time of year anyway AND the forum difficulties only make it more so.

You want fold out, lounger, back to back seats. Yes some have bought them & cut the bases down. But be sure you know what the base is made of. Some are plastic that may be less likely to stand up to being trimmed down, depending on the base's construction.

You may end up buying the seats, then removing the base entirely. Build a plywood base that's the correct height, wrap it w/ white vinyl, and install. If you look, you can buy the fold out seat/back to back hardware for sale online & you could build your own seats & bases however you want, and upholster all the pieces........

Depending on exactly where you intend to put the seat bases, in a small Jet, you may need to cut the base to fit the shape of the hull side/deck corner to put a little more space between the port & starboard sets.

It's hard to beat the low cost of $125+/- teleflex rotary system, which includes the steering wheel. One of the guys just installed a hydraulic no feedback system that was upwards of $600, but on an I/O. There are lots of good choices in between. I've also used a rack system, and liked it, but it does take up more space behind the dash.

boatbeginner1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ordered the seats and steering system! THanks jbcurt00!

Next up is determing fuse sizes. I will be getting a Blue Sea System 6 Circut With Ground and Cover. I am not sure what size fuses I need for my Nav Lights or LED Lights. Any idea?

Also, what size wiring would I use?

jbcurt00

Staff member
Ordered the seats and steering system! THanks jbcurt00!

Next up is determing fuse sizes. I will be getting a Blue Sea System 6 Circut With Ground and Cover. I am not sure what size fuses I need for my Nav Lights or LED Lights. Any idea?

Also, what size wiring would I use?
Your Nav & LED lights should have a watt or amp rating to calculate the load the wire will have to carry, and the fuse should be sized accordingly. For 2 25watt Nav lights, on a 12volt DC system, when the lights are both turned on the wire will be carrying just over 4 amps:

(25watt bulbs X 2 fixtures)/12volts = 4.166666666667 amps

Then the distance from panel to light gives you the gauge AWG wire you need to use:
05_electricalcon_A.jpg

Any run less then 10ft, a 16awg wire will carry the 4amps safely.

I suggest you use TINNED wire, else corrosion can be a problem down the road.

If this isn't your last boat project, this color chart of 'normal' marine wire may be helpful:
Marine-Wire-Tech-Spec-2_zps51e8afa3.jpg

boatbeginner1

Petty Officer 1st Class
There is nothing on the NAV Lights. The LED Lights have an output rating but no input that I saw. I will double check.

Is it safe to assume that the 4amp fuse will work? I have planned on ordering marine grade wiring.

THanks,
BB

boatbeginner1

Petty Officer 1st Class
I was looking at bilge pumps now. Im thinking I get two pumps to put in the stern where there is a cut out in the wood. My questions are what size pumps? Automatic or float switched? How do I wire them to a switch?

boatbeginner1

Petty Officer 1st Class
I decided to get the Shoreline Marine 800 GPH pump with a float switch.

I know that I need an inline fuse within 6inches from the battery; however, I am not sure what size wire I need from the battery to the fuse panel which makes me unsure what size inline fuse to get. Also, can I use a normal switch that would be used on a fuse panel as my master switch?

BB

boatbeginner1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey guys, havent made any updates in a while. Been extremely busy working on the boat. Il give you a brief summary of what I did and when, then hopfully get some pictures because I forgot to take some...

Last Week:
Steering system went in. Didnt have a large enough hole saw so I had to improvise. Lots of holes from drill bits did the job

Seats were installed along with the splashwell and side pieces. Seats went on very easy but for those who are planning on or in the middle of a restore, have someone help put the side pieces on. I spent around 4 hours trying to line all the holes on for one rivet. I went as far as using tie down straps to squeeze the hull together to bring the holes together. Also, installl the outside dash screws after the side piece install or the boat wont compress in.

I custom made the switch panel. A screw in each corner and BAM it was installed.

The throttle I decided to mount on the side piece itself so 2 holes and hours of racheting nuts in, it was installed.

All the hardware went on very easy as I had a helper. I wasnt making that mistake again.

I started to run the electrical on wednesday. I installed the fuse panel and even ran and connected the front NAV light. The rest was going to have to wait until I arrived in NC because I decided it was time to splash the boat. I forgot to let you all know, the engine was taken to a shop. After lots of hard work, it was deemed dead. No compression what so ever. And that wasnt all. I looked for an engine all day thursday. Had a lead on the engine, called the guy and everything, when I got there, I looked at the engine. After 30 minutes of waiting for him to come out, I left. So there went that idea. But hey, coastal NC has many more vintage outboard motors for sale then Northern Virginia, right?

So I left for NC. North of Richmond, the trailer tires start to smoke...Pull over and check it out, turns out the nut vibrated loose. Just my luck! The nut holding the fender and spring/axle to the trailer fell off! the only one remaining was extremly loose. So loose I could hand tighten in...The fender dropped in the front where the bolt came out and cut the entire side of the tire all the way around it. I bought the tires 2 days before this incident...brand new tires. Thankfully, I had a spare tire and spare bolt. Tightened the bolts, put the spare on and we continued the drive. We reached the VA/NC border and stopped at the rest area. Go to check the trailer and more loose bolts. Luckly, all of them were still on the trailer. So I went around and tightened all except one. It wasnt going on or off. Thankfully, a truck driver had tools and a lock washer and we got it on. Finally, 9 hours after the 4.5 hour trip started, we arrived. Next day, I woke up and finished all the electrical. White light, Check. Bilge Pump Automatic, Check. BIlge Pump Manual, Check. Ok, I lied all the electrical except the LED lights. I wanted to splash the boat and had to leave in 15 minutes.

Load the boat up, take it to the ramp, back it down the ramp, pull the trailer up, and I go an sit in the boat. IT FLOATS!!! I cant say works as there is no engine but you can paddle til your hearts content. After pictures (which I will try to find), loaded the trailer up, and parked it. Since I had a 3 hour drive in front of me (which the boat and trailer were supposed to come on), the boat and trailer were going to have to stay at my families house. It was to unsafe to drive it those 3 hours.

SI am looking into options for shipping the boat and trailer back to Northern VA so I can work on it. I made a rookie mistake, I used normal nuts and washers rather than lock nuts and washers on the trailer. SO when I get back to working on it, Im going to put lock nuts on it. That way, all that will be left is to put an engine on it.

So if there is anyone out there with a lead on a Johnson/Evinrude from the 60s/70s era, please PM me!

Thank you all for your help. UNtil next time,

Have a good evening,
BB