Starcraft Jet Star 15 Restore

boatbeginner1

Petty Officer 1st Class
I recently purchase a Starcraft Jet Star 15! This is my first boat and I plan on doing a full restore. I would like to bring it back to the original design but add a stero and maybe a gauge or two?

When I purchased the boat, it came with a new fuel tank, new feul line, and new switchers. I plan on using the fuel tank and lines however; I do not plan on using the new switcher. I will post a picture later this weekend to see if anyone is interested.

Photo 5.jpg Photo 1.jpg
Photo 2.jpg Photo 3.jpg
Photo 4.jpg

crazyhunter

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Starcraft Jet Star 15 Restore

congrats thats a pretty cool boat should look great when your done

boatbeginner1

Petty Officer 1st Class

I began to remove flooring and electrical. First the seats came out.

The wood base was rotting as you can tell.
photo_1.jpg

Next, while removing the bow wiring I found a present! Luckily it was empty!
Photo 2.JPG

Here is a shot of the back of the electrical panel.
Photo 3.jpg

In the Stern of the boat, all the wires jumbled up here. The boat did not come with a battery.
Photo 4.jpg

A shot of the throttle. Hard to tell. The starter has a built in egnition however; the PO cut the wires and ran his own ignition switch. SO MANY WIRES!
Photo 5.jpg

boatbeginner1

Petty Officer 1st Class

I started removing the hardware. That is a pain! The old hardware was stuck in the really good!

One of the Stern Cleats
Photo 1.jpg

The step pad. There was only one on the starboard side. Gonna need to look for one for the port side.
Photo 2.jpg

One of the bow (not sure what the name is). There are 2!
Photo 3.jpg

The Bow cleat. It looks amazing!
Photo 4.jpg

The Navigation Light. They Work! I will post of my WORKING JETSON LIGHT! :)
Photo 5.jpg

boatbeginner1

Petty Officer 1st Class

With the hardware gone, it was time for the flooring...This was a difficult task. The PO had it held down very good!

A shot of the floorboards in
Photo 1.jpg

Forgot to get a shot of the bow peice to post. Here is a shot of the port side flooring up.
Photo 2.jpg

Starboard flooring up
Photo 5.jpg

Both Sides up
Photo 3.jpg
Photo 4.jpg

I also removed the strings( not sure if thats the accurate term). I will post a picture later this weekend!

boatbeginner1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here is the picture of the ignition switch I mentioned. Its only the back of it though...

Photo 2.jpg

Photo 1.jpg

Gator1996

Petty Officer 1st Class

Man you're really getting at it! I have to admit I get a little jealous when I see a tinnie get gutted in half a day. Keep up the good work.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Looks like a good project and should look real nice when you get it finished.

boatbeginner1

Petty Officer 1st Class

I gutted it this past week...I took about 2 days. Im hoping to get the engine off this weekend! There are small holes, look like something was screwed into the dashboard, how do I fill these?

boatbeginner1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Metal :(

They are right above the dash. Looks as if the PO have a fishfinder there.
Dash Holes.jpg

How much of a hassle would it be to fill the rod holder holes?
Rod Holder Hole.jpg

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

The little holes in the dash will fill easily with JB Weld Marine or Loc-tite Marine Epoxy.

To fill the rod holder holes you'll need to put a plate (piece of aluminum) on the underside, you can epoxy or JB Weld this in place and use a stick brace from the deckin up to hold it in place until the epoxy sets or you can hold it up by screwing it in place and patch the screw holes when you skim over the hole with epoxy or JB... install back plate finish filling the hole with epoxy or JB, both are prestty easy jobs.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Good progress and quick too. jigngrub has the easy way (notice I didn't say the easiest!) to patch up the deck, that's the way I did the many holes mine had. Rivets or small stainless steel nuts/bolts will do it too. It looks like you'd be able to squeeze a lot more flotation under that floor than is there now, the more the better, I think. Keep at it and above all, have fun!

boatbeginner1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Il look into all those. I plan of filling the holes, taken the windshield of (carefully of course), then paint!

How much, where, and what kind of flotation do I need?

lakelover

Rear Admiral

How much, where, and what kind of flotation do I need?

I suggest reading up on the subject, it's been pretty well covered in this forum. Here's something to get you started:

http://forums.iboats.com/search.php?searchid=4693042

There is an involved formula to determine the minimum amount needed that takes many factors into account, but I think the more you can fit in, the better. You have lots of space under your floor, the gunwales and front deck too. I now have more in mine than the original design had, but who knows if that was even enough to keep it from sinking in 1964? No doubt the production standards have changed since then.

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

Guess I'll have to welcome you to the Starmada, WELCOME! :)

Looks like the same year as mine and WOW! that transom board looks like it's just as bad as mine was.:eek:

Looks like you're making great progress on the demo.

Lakelover said:
It looks like you'd be able to squeeze a lot more flotation under that floor than is there now, the more the better,

That says it pretty well but I'll add, If you're going to go back with the flooring system that's been done there then it will make it easy. Just stuff your choice of insulation board or noodles under there and you'l be good to go. Many also like to make a last step of stuffing some into the gunnels to help with turtling(boat rolling over) should she get swamped. If I remember right some will also add some to the bottom side of the bow hood to help keep the nose up.

boatbeginner1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Alright. The link did not work. As for the boat, il use as much as possible. What kind of foam?

lakelover

Rear Admiral

....The link did not work.....What kind of foam?

It works for me, but ya gotta love computers.....anyway, I just did an advanced search of this forum, keyword = "flotation" (Search Titles Only in the keyword dropdown menu). "Search Forum" is on the right at the top of the main "Boat Restoration, Building, and Hull Repair" page.

I used the rigid pink foam insulation sheets from Home Depot or Lowe's, can't remember which, under the floors, gunwales and front deck, supplemented by as many pool noodles as I could stuff into the leftover spaces. Many also use the rigid blue foam, essentially the same thing. Both are closed cell foam, which is what you need to keep it from getting waterlogged.