1985 17' aquasport cc internal fuel tank

JOKER87

Recruit
New to this site so thought I would ask my first question. Thanks in advace for all info to help answer my question. I have obtained my first CC, a 85' Aquasport 17' CC.. Not sure what model. Title dont list it. ANYHOW, was told upfront, the below fuel tank has a leak somewhere. Previous owner could not find. So my question is, what is the pro's and con's to abandon this fuel tank and just use a regular above deck fuel tank?? Does the below deck fuel tank act as a balance measure for the boat with fuel in it? If I leave it in the boat un-repaired, should I fill it with some type of foam for extra flotation?

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1985 17' aquasport cc internal fuel tank

Internal fuel tanks are usually put where they effect the boat operation the least. I would just forget it EXCEPT,,,,where did the leaking gas go? Even though your flotation foam is supposed to be closed cell and not soak up any liquids (lol). My BIG concern would be how much gas is soaked into the below deck foam. IMHO I would do whatever I had to to get to that tank and check all my foam to find the leaked gas and get it out of there!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1985 17' aquasport cc internal fuel tank

Welcome to iBoats!

Agree Wholeheartedly ^^^
Is this an I/O boat? If so, running an I/O motor from a portable tank may not be best way to go. Cutting the deck, and getting to the tank would be the way to go, IMHO. However, if you do this...be prepared to open a BIG can of worms. You may find significant issues with the foam, stringers, bulkheads, motor mounts and or transom. Expect the worst and hope for the best.

WelcomeAboard.jpg