1967 Sea Nymph, 14'

jbcurt00

Staff member
Re: 1967 Sea Nymph, 14'

Great idea on the QD-16. Smaller inland lakes and a kicker for the big boat. The Sea Scamp's owner is a guy at the shop. He needs a trailer. So it's sold if I want to part with it.
+1 for the glasser, trailer & 28hp

Big Twin (225 or 28) or 18 hp fast twin?? I'm leaning towards the bigger motors. Can the 28 hp be converted over to tiller?? I'm thinking it's the same handle as a 25-30-35 big twin.
No idea, but w/out year or model # I wasn't sure if you could narrow the list of 28hp's down & figure it out. I'd like to see you & Zach make 1 high speed pass in the BigWater w/ a 225 on the back :eek: But just the once ok?
So that makes +2 for the glasser & etc

JB, if I bring an old fiberglass home and it sits around until I get it to the land fill, SWMBO will kick my fanny. Course it's been almost 2 weeks since she's been mad. Hmmmm...... Geez tomorrow is Sunday, not sure the junk yards are open. What to do??
This is tricky and is about a -1.75....... He who must sleep beside an unhappy SWMBO must weigh this for themselves, and carefully!!!

But we are still in the positive column, even if I've slightly over or understated the negative

I have resorted to 2 alternate methods of SHORT term boat & trailer storage: over the hill & out back behind the neighbors:facepalm: & at the office :rolleyes:

Take the BigWater off it's trailer so you can sell the trailer to your buddy. And do whatever you have to to get the B-W out of sight. Then it's only the glasser in the driveway, and get to tearing it apart, and asap get it off the property ;) It only took me 7-8 days after work to strip two 17.5' glassers & cut 1 of them up & toss it in the other. And $50 to dispose of them...

That's all I got....

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

clipper craft.jpg
Here's the Clipper Craft. I'm assuming it's 16 foot.

Add says;
16 Ft Clipper Craft with 28 horse speed twin Evinrude. Motor has been gone thru and runs. Been sitting, needs carbs cleaned. Comes as shown.
100.00 ....

Wife is going to be less than happy. I probably need to wait until after Halloween. We've got a bunch of people coming over..... ok emailing the add. Just looking won't hurt will it????

jbcurt00

Staff member

Man, I hate to say it but, it'd be great if you could dispose of it some other way then the landfill.......

May get some decent stuff off it though... A windshield that could fit or made to fit a variety of boats. Among other parts..

That trailer will be huge for the SN, but might be kept when Zach moves up to a 15'-16' boat. An open/closed bow runabout, side/center console etc :D SO still a +1 ;)

It looks like the LU has the long shaft extension on it, and I don't know enough about SpeedTwins, but it looks like it may be an electric shift lower. Having the exhaust housing, extension & lower all 3 different colors make it slightly more likely. That would make a tiller conversion problematic. Don't hold me to the electric shift, but it will make it easier to decide to flip the motor for what you pay for the whole rig. I really don't know if the 28hp SpeedTwin come in electric shift... A -0.75 though....

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

By golly it's a long shaft. I'm thinking deal breaker right there. It's in my home town so maybe I'll go look, maybe not.

Back to the drawing board!

jbcurt00

Staff member

Another reason to sell it & buy a better fit OB for the 14ft'r :cool: Or newer motor.....

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

How hard is it to de-long shaft that motor? I thinking just take out the spacer and...... drive shaft replacement. Dunno. If it's not electric shift I can work with it. Then I want it.

I owe pics, off to photobucket I go.

jbcurt00

Staff member

I don't know which, but I 'think' (gray matter is 1/2 worthless @midday Sunday :facepalm:) that I've seen a John/Evin long shaft conversion that was an extension attached to the shorter drive shaft. But that may have been a shift linkage rod....

Parts needed to convert my 1957 Johnson Javelin 35hp RDE-19 to a RDEL-19:
Driveshaft: 304950
Screw (secures the housing extension, from below @LU,so it already has it): 302510
Shift rod (lower): 304034
Extension (the extension housing it already has): 304030
Adapter (looks like the water tube): 304175
Adapter O-Ring: 304174
Connector (RDEL Conversion, looks like it's for the impeller): 304081
Screw (secures the housing extension, from above @Exhaust tube, already has it): 304135

But my RDE-19 is older then the SpeedTwin and probably different parts.

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

I don't think they made that motor in electric shift. Looks like a '62-'64.

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

Here's a pic of the bow keel damage. I'll drill out the rivets and then splice this piece off. Straighten it on the hydraulic press at work, rivet it back in place and then braze up the splice.
004.jpg

Hull flipped for stripping.
003.jpg

Check out these cracks. What are these called on the bottom of the hull, chines???
002.jpg

What a funky drain.
001.jpg

Anyone know the size of the drain plug?

This boat doesn't seem as solid as the little Starcraft I we had. I think it's been used harder too.

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

Here's another i have been eying. 52 Johnson? Looks like a 14' or 15', that trailer would be a good fit for the Sea Nymph.

old boat for sale.jpg

Hmmm what year is this?

Attachments

• old boat for sale motor.jpg
    old boat for sale motor.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 0

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

The add says make offer and it's yours. Been stored since 1986.

I could probably get it for nothing. Which is probably what it's worth. lol Trailer looks good.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Maybe JB, looks like a match.
That was the attached motor pix from the ad :facepalm: and was just a question..

The ad says it's a 25hp and it also comes a 3hp trolling motor :D
The 25 hp motor:
3F53M53N45N65G95Eecao8a5e408e0dbd11c8.jpg

and the 3hp trolling motor:
3K83Gb3F45G65E15Hbcao83b02354c5971f36.jpg

Man, for a hundred it's still a deal :rolleyes: right?

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

Actually upon further review it looks more like a 225 hp.:D

Sell the current trailer for a $120, buy this for $80 dispose of the glasser for $50.00. Pretty close to even. Is the motor free, or locked up?

64osby

Admiral

BD, The kicker looks like an Eska to me, pretty much a disposable motor IMO. If it runs it's a bonus but has no value in the real world.

The trailer looks good in the pics. The Johnson looks nice. Parts can be a little harder to find on the early 50's but they are out there.

A 25 should get you to 30mph if your not too heavy.

The 1972 Big Water is rated for 25HP didn't see anything back further than that.

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

Of these two deals;
1) Speeditwin 28 hp, long shaft circa 1963?
No tiller
16 foot + trailer

2) 1952 25 hp Johnson
No tiller
Trailer that looks better sized to the 14' Sea Nymph

I'm hearing door #2 is the better deal. Is this right?

I was going to strip some more off the hull but man it's hurricane windy out there. Like 40 MPH winds and the boat is behind the garage out in the elements. I've got a huge pad of cement back there, it used to be a shed before I tore it down. Boat is hidden from view!:D I'll bet I can hide a 16' back there. lol

Well I emailed both adds and no reply yet. If I call, and you know who hears, well it could get ugly. So shhhh, she works tomorrow and I'll call then. Until then I'm in limbo. I'm checking on local dumps to, just in case. Buy it strip it and to the dump before you know who sees it. Current trailer is sold if I choose.

What's it like to paint a boat in November up north? My bro's garage is a lot bigger than mine. There's no heat in it but, I could put my kerosene heater in there. What if I constructed an A-Frame from plastic sheet over the boat? I hate to wait until spring but I might have to. Anyone painted a tinnie with Rustoleum in late fall?

Good luck on your projects.
Don

jbcurt00

Staff member

Have you been able to figure out the tiller conversion on a '52 25hp? Many of the places I checked start w/ 1955, or later. Looks like some of the '52 parts work thru '54....

Sounds like it was 1953 before Johnson started offering remote steering, based on info @ this iboats thread.

W/ no tiller arm, how was the front of the motor modified for remote steering?

Seaway was a recommended source for vintage J/E OB parts.

Give my buddy T.K a buzz, he might have one for parts..
http://oldoutboardbarn.com/

I know a place that has a pile of tillers--Budget Boats in Chesapeake, Va; they are on line.
BudgetBoats

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I painted the Islander hull in the dead of winter but the garage was heated by a furnace constantly feed with fire wood.

You are pushing the temps, it's kinda getting winterish out there. Also, I haven't heard good things about kerosene and painting.

I'd vote paint when it's warm again. There is plenty to do till then eh.