Procraft fiberglass hull design issues - plywood

GigaBobs

Cadet
Hello,
I've been on these forums for about 2 years now and have begun the total restoration of my 1987 Procraft 1780V (grinding mode). The transom is removed and grinding is under way. My question is... If I plan to replace the transom and stringers, re-glassing the hull, and use pour foam under the deck, do I need to replace all the plywood that is sealed in the bottom of this boat?

Pictured below, there seems to be plywood strips "laying" down on nearly every flat surface! I've called these out in the photo. You can see the old stringers (or lack thereof right now) but I've also pointed to the flat areas in the hull that have these strips of plywood glassed in. THANKS for your help.

procraft-stringer-question.jpg

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Re: Procraft fiberglass hull design issues - plywood

You only need to replace them if they're rotten or wet (soon to be rotten).

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

The "Flat Plywood" is for stiffening the hull. As JNG has stated, if the ply is dry then no need to replace if not then replace.

GigaBobs

Cadet

Thanks - what I thought. I was just very surprised at the amount of plywood in the bottom of this hull. So far, I haven't found much that is rotten (of these parts). The stringers obviously, were mostly only a shell of glass left. Thanks for the input guys!