3M 5200 or leave it alone?

tonynoriega2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Towards the bow, on the inside of the boat where the two sheets of alum come together... is a gap...actually 2 of them.

It looks like someone had originally tried to put something to fill the gaps, but I had some to find it was easy to peel off and remove... wasnt a good job.

Should I try to fill this gap with 3M 5200 or just leave it alone and not worry about it?

It doesnt look like a water issue, maybe more just overall aesthetics and me being overly detailed in my work.

DSCN2474.jpgDSCN2472.jpgDSCN2473.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: 3M 5200 or leave it alone?

Tony, When you have a thread already open for a project, it's usually best to keep your post's concerning that project all in the same thread. Makes it a lot easier for everyone to follow along with everything you're doing. To answer your question, I'd recommend filling it with JB Weld after it's been Wire Brushed and acetone cleaned. You can then sand the JBW and blend it really well when it's hardened. The Gluvit will do the final finishing.

You can PM a moderator and request that he combine this with you other thread.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

I agree with WOG, JB Weld or Loc-tite marine epoxy would be a better fix for that than 5200.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Actually, I always forget about this stuff, but it's a really good filler for aluminum.
14787.gif

tonynoriega2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

WOG...Ill try to keep these more concise and grouped... I just figured they were separate aspects to my repairs...
Ill actually start my own restore thread to keep them all in one place.

Thx