Repairing ding + scratch

restwzeasy

Recruit
I'm new to the forum and although I repaired our previous boats, I'm scared to mess my new toy - 06 Regal 1900. During the summer we were cruising through a beautiful narrow channel when another boat decided to pass. I tried to be helpful and give them extra room only to give myself a nice memory of my boat slamming into rocks on the starboard side. I'm waiting for Regal to get back to me about the color of the gelcoat that I need to fix the 'not' so deep scratches, but I'm not sure about the ding all the way to the fiberglass. I'm thinking I have to put at least couple layers of fiberglass on that spot and then cover with gelcoat? I was expecting the gelcoat (I believe the white layer?) to not be so thick. Further, there is a layer of something gray between the fiberglass and the gelcoat. I have no idea what that is as I haven't seen that on our previous (older) boats. Appreciate all suggestions/help - clearly I'm a noob.

Here are some pictures of my rock memory.

20120902_150440.jpg 20120902_150425.jpg 20120902_150347.jpg 20120902_150333.jpg

Paul

jbcurt00

Staff member
Re: Repairing ding + scratch

Welcome to Iboats

I've been at the ramp when a similar story had much worse results, glad it wasn't worse.

This thread should be of great help, PM Yacht DR if you have any questions that thread doesn't answer, as long as there is no delamination of the fiberglass & no thru holes punched in the hull, it shouldn't be too tough to repair, using YD's tips in that thread.

Don't be surprised if it takes a long time to get any response from Regal, if at all. I think gelcoat changes colors slightly after prolonged exposure to UV, so even w/ 'correct' color code there will be quite a bit of guess-ta-mation to get the batch color to blend & be almost invisible...