Finnish fishing boat overhaul [Splashed 2017]

GT1000000

Rear Admiral
Been away for a while and have missed some really amazing progress over here!
The tops of the stringers are a work of artful form and functionality...reminds me of a construction method using concrete blocks with a tie-beam poured on the top edge to lock the structure together...beautiful, absolutely beautiful! :thumb:

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks Gt, sanded the remaining stuff today. Then I noticed the weather report by chance and heard that the first autumn storm is heading our way. I got stuff in place just in time and fixed the tarp slack here and there, hope it survives. Yesterday we got a short burst of hail as well. The glassing deadline is getting closer I fear.

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer
Tomorrow I'll go and buy some melamine for the gutter and hatch molds. After building them I'll hopefully start the last big glassing for this year: gutters, hatches and cabin.

Mikeopsycho

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Hopefully you can beat the weather! I've got a similar issue, one last glass job to do, and the cool rainy weather is holding me up. Supposed to be sunny and 21* c on Sunday here in BC, so that's when I'll hit it.

You're doing an awesome job on your project!

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer
Hope the forecast is correct! This just seems to get worse as of now, but I'm hoping for three-four more days of at least decent weather for the remaining stuff. The interior work ought to be doable even though it's colder.

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer
Carpentry day. Built a few tables out of melamine for the hatch molds, spent most of the day getting them as level as possible. Then we made a pile of melamine strips for the gutter molds and the hatches. Tomorrow I'll start building the gutter molds, then some waxing and glassing. Now for a second beer--->

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer
Hatch gutter molds in place. Tomorrow I'll wax them and figure out what to do with the corner fillets since I don't have any molding clay at hand. If you have any ideas then please tell me!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Got any Counter Laminate? Or know a cabinet shop that could/would give ya some scraps? Makes Great corners!!!!;)

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Hatch gutter molds in place. Tomorrow I'll wax them and figure out what to do with the corner fillets since I don't have any molding clay at hand. If you have any ideas then please tell me!

Yup....put a squirt of can expansion foam under the gap. After it dries, dress it up/sand it, Then fill as needed. You can also glass the foam.

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer
Hmm. That could work if I understood you correctly. The fillet is sacrificial since it's only there to give the form for the lip corner, so no glassing is needed. I wonder if it would work to just wax everything you can see in the close up shot, and then fillet the upper part with pb. Then wax the fillet. Then remove the masking tape, glass it and in theory just pick away the fillet since it's waxed from all sides when I remove the molds?

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Total yup...Its a void, thats all. It will do the job. Pb will do the same thing. I was thinking with a base of foam you could then pb it up and be done.

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer
Yeah I see, it would just need some sanding...hmm, I'll see tomorrow what would be fastest and less messy!

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
AS a Great Philospher once said: " A dabwilldoya." Fred Flinstone. Can't wait to see.

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer
Lots of distractions today. Waxed the molds and filleted the corners with a fairing compound I bought a long time ago. Worked ok. Will need some minor sanding though. Apart from that I got 60 boxes/jars from the local grocery store to mix resin in. Spent most of the day washing them. Tomorrow I'll sand the fillets and add a few layers of mold wax. Then it's back to town for a few days. The break is welcome, really looking forward to a proper shower, my washing machine and a toilet made of porcelain... Will be back on friday.

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer
Back in the city doing other things, but my head is all wrapped up in the build. I'm wondering what sort of thickness I should aim for with the hatches. I'm planning to core the flat part with divinycell. The stuff I have is about 1/2 inch thick and it's the variant with the grooves. The biggest hatch is about 1m x 90cm (39x32). Would a layup schedule of 2 x csm, 1 x biax, 1 x csm, divinycell, 2 x csm and 1 x biax be plausible at all? Or is it too heavy?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
CSM has little structural strength. I'd be more comfortable with 2- CSM, 2 -1708, divinycell, 2 1708, 2-CSM You should end up with a hatch that's just about 5/8 - 3/4" thick. That's just an Old Dumb Okies Opinion!!!:D

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer
Will do! My biax doesn't have a mat backing, so I ought to add some csm in between the layers I guess?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Uhmm Yeah, with Poly you have too use CSM if It has none. it won't bond properly with out it. I'd recommend the layup to be Csm, Biax, Csm, Biax, CSM CSM . You finish with 2 layers of CSM to Hide the weave of the Biax.

Last edited:

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer
Sure thing mr Glass. I'll follow that schedule. Now back at the build site, will work until sunday at least. Tomorrow sanding the gutter fillets and waxing!