Finnish fishing boat overhaul [Splashed 2017]

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I have to say Red, I am never disappointed seeing your work and progress. :thumb:

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer
[video]https://player.vimeo.com/video/209923461[/video]

Can't seem to embed the video. But the led blinker relay works really well with the beeper!

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
That sounds like it is at just the right level of annoying for an alarm!

Pusher

Lieutenant
That actually sounds really cool!!! I'm glad that worked out so well.

I can't place the sound but it seems like it was a atar trek abandon ship sound or from some other 70's show.

Nice progress Red! It continues to look great.

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks for the great idea! The sound is spot on and just right on the nuisance-scale. I'll just have to determine which sound is which alarm. Thinking of using the continuous one for the exhaust and this jury rigged wonder for the bilge pump.

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer
Now for a quick rant about tools:

I bought a Dewalt DA sander (125mm, small one) in the beginning of the project and was perfectly happy with it until yesterday when I got to borrow something I could compare with. The new contestant swiped the floor with the old one. The Mirka Deros machine I got to use is pure sanding bliss. The machine is lightweight and very powerful, I got more done in eight hours yesterday than I got in a week before that with the previous sander. I say previous because I'll pick one of the Mirkas up tomorrow. No going back, makes the most tedious and tiring job soo much easier and more pleasant.

I have no affiliations (even though Mirka is a Finnish company). I'm just genuinely happy that I found it!!

Another 10/10 sander I've used a lot is the Makita 9031. I can get grit 24 blue sanding paper for it and it eats fiberglass like butter, perfect for a lot of jobs and the dust is so big it just falls to the ground. With these two I could do 90% of all the sanding jobs this far. Easy to determine which ones I'll keep after the project.

Last edited:

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer
Photos of the tools I'm ranting about.

Attachments

• Makita-9031-image-600x600.jpg
    Makita-9031-image-600x600.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 0
  • deros.jpg
    deros.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 0

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer

New sander bought and freeing ports done! Felt crazy cutting these big holes in a perfectly good boat, but I hope the safety aspect makes up for it(well actually maybe not, but the constant sloshing water on deck might prevent the actual need for the holes...).

Last edited:

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer

Sanding makes Red a dull boy. I'm pretty tired and even though the new machine is great I'm getting pretty fed up with this. Might have to take a break before I start cutting corners that I'd regret in the end.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I honestly know exactly what you mean. While my little toy boat,compared to yours, is a small project, it does get dull when you wish it was all over with now. But I will plug alone until it is finished. My problem is I have so many other things to do as well. And I am sure you do too. But you have to finish it for everybody to see. :thumb:

Territorial_

Recruit
I just love projects like this. Took me 1.5 hours to read whole topic.
Take your time on sanding it might be frustrating but you wont regret it afterwards. Whats your plan for deck, topcoat or some paint?
Btw: Kenelt? l?yty muotit hyttiin?

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer
Gm you're right, I can hardly wait for it to be in the water and somehow it's getting under my skin suddenly. In truth there's not that much left to do but somehow even the smallest task feels like a big one. But all is well, it's going to get done eventually even though it's going a bit slow as of now. As long as I get at least something done every day.

Territorial, thanks! It's going to be gelcoated with five-six thin layers with a foam roller. It leaves this mild pebble finish that's fairly even and looks good enough for what I'm after. The surface underneath needs to be even though, and that's where the time is vanishing.

The cabin is from Naviga Mbs, the mold is in pretty good shape still but needs a bit of polishing and buffing to get it perfect.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
getting under my skin suddenly

LOL!!! Just like a Woman!!!! yea they do that. We all know that feeling Red. :rolleyes:

ab175c21992716c6df106f041afcf8ea.jpg

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer
Haha, true that. Exactly like certain females I've had the pleasure of spending more time with.

Maybe four days of sanding left, so I can see the end of the tunnel slowly creeping closer. The switch panel finally arrived today! It's a beauty, I'll attach the leds and switches tomorrow and post a photo, it looks really good! Thank you Gm!

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

Photobucket is broken so I'll just attach the photos of the panel here instead. It's all sorts of perfect.

Attachments

• photo262157.JPG
    photo262157.JPG
    131.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo262158.JPG
    photo262158.JPG
    267.9 KB · Views: 0

Pusher

Lieutenant
Looks fantastic Red!!! Nice teamwork with GM. You're going to get a lot of satisfaction out of this work of art.