Finnish fishing boat overhaul [Splashed 2017]

Pusher

Lieutenant
I was actually thinking of my motorcycle when I mention it :) I should have clarified, sorry Red. I hope it works out. I picture the alarm from star trek TNG

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer
Out working to get some more money to burn. Had more time to think, usually a bad idea but what can you do?

I'm speculating if a 316 steel keelguard (3-4mm thick) would in theory stay put on the keel with some modrrn high tensile glue (5200 or some methacrylate stuff)? It would be fixed with bolts above the waterline and in the end of the keel. Just playing with this idea, not sure if I have the guts to try it.

Mikeopsycho

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Why do you need a keel guard? Are you planning to beach your boat? I'd probably lean more towards a plastic keel guard if it was me.

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer
Our anchoring antics are a bit peculiar over here. The baltic sea in itself is really shallow and there's a million tiny islands everywhere, we usually anchor from the stern and tie the bow to shore so you can jump aboard from the rocks. This means we spend a lot of time in the midst of rocks and really shallow water. Hence the steel tab on the keel.

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer
It's not that uncommon to get bottom contact when the swell changes or winds turn in these circumstances.

The boat has a full length keel tab now, but the fastening bolts are buried in a resin-sand mixture in case of groundings, the boat in itself is bulletproof and can take head on collisions in 15 knots without damage, but it's a bit tricky to reattach the keel tab.

Mikeopsycho

Huh, interesting. Here in BC we quite often anchor out then run a stern line to shore, just the opposite of what you do, usually in deeper anchorages, which is common in many of the fjords along the BC coast.

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer
How do you get the stern line ashore without hurting the prop? Going in bow first and turning further out?

Now that I think of it, one additional reason to do it this way over here might have to do with no tidal changes in water column height at all. The water level does change but it's very gradual.

Mikeopsycho

Bow into the wind/current, check depth, drop anchor and appropriate anchor rode, back down on anchor to set, swing stern towards shore, use dinghy to bring stern line to shore and loop it around a tree or other solid, smooth surface, return to boat with bitter-end of line. Tie off bitter end of stern line to a cleat, then adjust how near to shore you want your boat by loosening or tightening anchor line and working end of stern line, keeping in mind tide changes.

When it's time to leave simply fire up boat, untie bitter-end of stern line and pull it back on-board. Weigh anchor and away you go.

I carry 600 feet of polypropylene for a stern line, which is floating line.

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer
Ah ok, the dink explains a lot. I've never had a boat big enough to warrant a dinghy so it's all new to me. A friend of mine is trying to sell me a beautiful wooden rowboat to use as a tender but I'm still resisting the urge. The draught (draft?) is just 70cm (2ft) at worst so I can get real close to the shore with this one as well.

Of course the probability of nasty scratches goes down by a lot with a dink.

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer
Still waiting for the panel. Holding off on more photos until something bigger is done. Been sanding this and that and built all sorts of smaller things.

Came up with one thing to ask the hivemind, would you know of a flange trim ring that would resemble this one I have that is plastic:

They're the trim rings for the ventilators, and I'd be happy as a clam if I could get a hold of some aluminium/steel ones. The hole cutout is 4.8 inches, so a 4.5 in or 5 in flange should work.

Been looking at v-band clamp flanges, but as I don't need the v-band it seems a bit overkill.

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer
Oh yeah, I passed the exam to get an mmsi number from the authorities for the vhf dsc and ais. Was a bit surprised I was supposed to remember the international spelling alphabet by heart, the guy reading the test might have had a laugh with my wild guesses. X for X-rated etc...

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
ok red booked for 30 June to Hamburg, off home 7 July. Destination Aabenraa. DK. Family has a coule sailboats.

If you can safely make it, it would be an epic Iboats meet.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Red that flange looks like some of the flanges used in Can LED lights for installation in ceilings. You may find something in that department that you could use. JMHO

Pusher

Lieutenant
It seems that the insink erators are about the right size if you could machine the face down to eliminate the stamped label...assuming is not zinc coated.

Attachments

• b8185e1f-db28-405a-a638-86f7e1459adb_300.jpg
    b8185e1f-db28-405a-a638-86f7e1459adb_300.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 0

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer
Haha, Insinkerator, what a name! It's half an inch on the small side but could work. There are unlabeled ones around as well. If nothing else in the 4.5inch-5 inch ballpark shows up I'll go with those.

The lamp flanges are promising as well, still need to find some cheap ones!

And Redneck, it might be tight. At the earliest my girlfriends vacation will begin the first of July, and it might be postponed until the 15th. I'm currently negotiating about a tv-series that might end around the same time. But I will try!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Haha, Insinkerator, what a name! It's half an inch on the small side but could work. There are unlabeled ones around as well. If nothing else in the 4.5inch-5 inch ballpark shows up I'll go with those.

The lamp flanges are promising as well, still need to find some cheap ones!

And Redneck, it might be tight. At the earliest my girlfriends vacation will begin the first of July, and it might be postponed until the 15th. I'm currently negotiating about a tv-series that might end around the same time. But I will try!

Red have you checked the typical PVC flanges? They make them for most sizes of PVC pipe and one of them may work. :noidea:

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer
Actually another one we did last year is apparently(or is going to be) available on the US Netflix, called Bordertown. The budgets are way smaller than what you guys usually see, but I guess it could have a novel indie vibe to it from an american perspective?

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer

Still waiting for the panel! Those guys don't seem to get their act together. Will have to research another engraving company.

All the wires are in, aft deck ready for the first sanding session.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Tick Tock says I. Just a matter of time and you will be afloat. Whats the catch of the day going to be?