Finnish fishing boat overhaul [Splashed 2017]

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Red, I realize I am older now and my eyes are not what they used to be, but honestly, I can't see anything remotely wrong with your work and amazing finish. I would be extremely proud of that if I had done it. You are maybe too biased towards yourself.

I do understand how you can be your worst critic. When I do woodworking projects and/or tiling jobs or even electronic design projects, I get very critical of how they must look. And then when I go to other places and see their offerings, I can easily see their flaws and such that I never seen before in them. So as you build things and become better and better, you get more critical of your own work it seems. But I think you've done an amazing project myself. :thumb: :thumb:

Tnstratofam

Commander
Your work looks awesome from here. :thumb: Like GM said sometimes we are our own worse critic.

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer
Heh, thanks. You are right of course. It's really easy to loose track of reality when you stare at something from a 10" distance for two weeks :)

New day, new problems: I just used up my last paint stirrer/stir stick/paddle and it seems completely impossible to find any from the whole country for a reasonable price.

The best I've found online is 3€/10, and that's ridiculous. The last batch I just used was 6€/3 kilograms of sturdy sticks.

I might have to order -wooden sticks- from abroad...

Found a batch of a 1000 for 15$ in Ny, too bad the postage was 80$...

Last edited:

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer
That's the thing, I can easily get 10-20 a day from local paint shops for free, but if I'd like to get 300 of them it suddenly gets really complicated.

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer
I had to order from Brexitland and I still paid too much, but not as much too much as back home(nice sentence...).

gm280

Supreme Mariner
If you have a saw, you could just cut your own.. Take most any 2 x 4 and cut them in slices and there you go. I use a band saw when I need some and make 20 to 30 at a time. :noidea:

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer

Got the sticks and everything is progressing one step at a time again. Got the battery compartment/electricity city topcoated after drilling a bunch of holes for pipes/cables.

It looks real messy, but I'm not going to start fairing these lockers now. If I feel like it then I'll sand and redo them next year (probably never).

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
battery compartment? Never. Kinda like an ugly chick, got to settle sometimes for what works and not worry about the pretty

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Sonofab..... that looks good. The boat loks ok too...

Last edited:

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks! Too bad I just bought one.

Btw, what caulk would you guys use to fillet these mold-wall joints in this photo? Just a cosmetic thing and I'd like to avoid yellowing. Been thinking of Sikaflex 295 uv in white, but some seem to use silicones. Would rather avoid them if I can.

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I have to say It looks better then good to me. You are an artist at working with fiberglass.

Last edited:

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Of course it looks Great! As Usual. Cheers to ya!
I like and whatever you use in clear. That way the natural whites you used come thru the clear and not the mfg. colors of what they offer. makes like little borders. Try a spot with each and see how they meld.
Double cheers!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Yeah Sikaflex is really good stuff and would last a long time without yellowing. OR you could use white tint on some thickened epoxy if you want it permanent.

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer

Now we're talking!

Hadn't thought of the clear caulk at all, neither the epoxy idea. Thanks guys, fuel fo thought.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
if you use a clear anything product or white it has to be siliconed based not caulk. Caulk will eventually mildew from water.

Tnstratofam

Commander
I really like the way the wood contrasts with the white. The interior is looking sharp.