Finnish fishing boat overhaul [Splashed 2017]

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer

I've been thinking about ventilation, and I'd like to hear your thoughts on a dorade variation depicted in the attached drawings. You think it'll work? I forgot to draw in the limber holes at the base of the outer tube, but they'll be there.

In theory the inner tube ought to be high enough to make sure that one cowlfull of sea water would drain on the deck instead of inside.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
you going to have a hatch, and could you make the vent adjustable to where you could face forward when on the hook and reverse when running in heavy seas.

Not sure why you need a vent, I mean Finland and all not too hot up there....

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer
Yeah the cowl has a lid for really bad weather and it can be rotated if need be.

The other possible version would be a upside down version of the classic dorade box. I'll draw that too!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
you going to have a hatch, and could you make the vent adjustable to where you could face forward when on the hook and reverse when running in heavy seas.

Not sure why you need a vent, I mean Finland and all not too hot up there....

Well redneck, you just never know when they would be sitting around eating beans. So A vent is a good idea. :facepalm:

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer
The beans are one thing, and the inevitable humidity and condensation issues due to the really cold sea :/

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Way back when ...in the beginning of your thread you were going to use the Dorade vent for your engine area. That makes sense. I think an adjustable hatch over the cuddy area is a better application for that area. Screen, window, ventilation etc. All the beans you can eat! :joyous:
Are you adding a cooling/heating system to your boat?

In sea unless you make some type of ability to regulate it then like Redneck said...constant air, moisture, cold, hot, flows, condensate.
KC

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
mmmm Mongo like beans... (mixed a couple references there for those in the know)

So Red, humidity... Really? I get cold and hot and condensation but shouldn't the heat drive out the wet? If it was cold in boat and hot outside then (as here in the South in the summer) you get condensation ok but wouldn't it be backwards in your neck of the woods? Beans notwithstanding.....

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer
It's true that the webasto ought to do a good job of drying out the interior when in use. I'm still very much in favor of dry non smelling boat cabins and I'd like to do everything to achieve that.

It's very hard to understand from the drawing, but the cowl would be installed on the gunwale, and the pipe is going underneath it and finally through the floor which acts as a ceiling for the "foot-end" of the bed. A hatch there wouldn't do much, since it would be underneath the gunwale and out of the breeze. Don't know if that makes any sense. I'll try and get some photos tomorrow.

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer
Oh and yeah, condensation seems to form in the boundary between warm/cold either way it goes, we've got frequent humidity issues with boat headliners rotting and getting moldy.

I haven't figured out any other way to do it as of yet, even though I'm not too happy about the cowl either.

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer

Here's the spot, the deck is kind of open all the way to the anchor/chain-locker. That makes a hatch a bit impractical. I could of course just slam a mushroom vent in the middle and hope air circulates enough for it to be effective.

Pusher, those window vents look awesome, I'll need to see if it would be a plausible solution for the windows!

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Well I think that is the pilot house front and then the deck area. What about placing something in the front wall of the pilot house that channels down to the cabin? Like a ducted return line/chase. You may have to modify the inside of the pilot house or the exterior to create the chase to below for air transfer.
Then if its on a vertical wall noone is stepping on it.
http://www.defender.com/pdf/311234-11607.pdf

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer

The boat moved outside of the tent today, here's a couple of phtos of the process and the new home. Fitting the new railings and stressing evident in the photo of yours truly...
Still need to figure out what to do with the vent thiugh.