Finnish fishing boat overhaul [Splashed 2017]

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer

Sensei Woodonglass, I am honored of your presence :) Ok, that's basically what I was planning to do. I'm just curious about the low spots, but maybe I'm overthinking this again.

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer
Started working on the v-berth side wall slat-support molds. This way I can screw the battens the slats are attached to in these fiberglass "ducts". The usual way of gluing etc wouldn't work with the lapstrake and this feels sturdier either way.

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer

Ducts done, still a bit of cleaning and getting the wax out though. Proper work for three days and I'll be back on saturday.

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer

Almost everything I need is now waiting outside the boat, now I'll just have to be really fast with the remaining stuff :)

Door is shortened, a myriad of small fixes are glassed and still a bit of this and that left.

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Progress is progress, no matter how small a step it may be. Keep after it!

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer

I saw the door in good light today and decided to redo the gelcoat. After 13 hours of sanding, polishing and waxing I now have the same problems but in different places than before. I accomplished nothing and burnt through 50€ worth of sand paper, polishing compound and my sanity.

The brainfart I had when I decided to make the cut in the middle of the door seems almost impossible to fix.

In retrospect I should've cut in another spot, or just redone the whole lower part. Or maybe build the door from scratch instead of wasting all this time.

The learning curve feels really steep now that I'm getting closer to finishing. I'm horrified to think of all the interior molds that need to be sanded smooth. Not to even mention the 15 hatch covers. I seem to burn through almost every time I try to fix something.

Ah sh*t. I need to sleep.

Last edited:

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer
Haha the last post seems bleak enough. It's true that the door isn't a 100%, but honestly it'll do. I checked it in sunlight and it's all good.

All fiberglass work inside the cabin is done! I might add a couple mounts for hydraulics etc but now it's time to make cardboard cutouts of the hatches and wood doors and floorboards. The carpenter starts working on monday. And I'll start working on the cabin inside surfaces!!! Then it's window time. Yeeeesss!!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I agree...
Yes.gif~c200

gm280

Supreme Mariner
RH, what you think is not good is still better then anything I've done yet. It all looks good to me. Carry on sir, carry on... :thumb:

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer

I love woodwork! So delightfully precise and you get results a hundred times faster than with fiberglass.

Spent most of the day cutting all those plywood pieces, the carpenter mainly supervised and did other stuff at the same time, let's see how much he'll charge for this consultation :)

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Red, I also love woodworking. But I will say, if you cut wood too short, there is no adding on with other wood like you can do with metal or fiberglass. You pick another piece of wood and try not to cut it short again. How does that saying go "cut once and measure a few times to see if you can some how stretch it to work"? :facepalm:

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer
Haha, true. Since it's a whole new ballgame for me I'm slightly scared of cutting anything. But it ends up with positive stress and somehow I enjoy the requirement of precision, puts some order in this wishy-washy mess :)

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
What did I miss? Where are they going? The wood you just templated to cut I mean.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
I prefer wood over glass anyday , my cuts aren't perfect however I have yet to ever witness perfect cuts on anything you look hard enough even the best craftsman have a awwdamn spot somewhere :)

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer

I really like this stuff! Test fittings and work on the floorboards. They'll be covered in teak slats next week.

It's true, perfection is impossible by nature. I guess the pros know when the overall feeling is right, instead of obsessing over one corner. Still need to learn that some day.

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer
I can almost see it finished in my head, I'm getting a huge boost out of this!

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Red, Everybody that does anything has a Uh Oh moment and knows where the imperfection is. But unless you point out your mistake, nobody will ever know. The wife and I do some fancy floor tiling in our house. And even though the casual observer thinks it looks amazing, we know where the mistakes(s) are. But they never show up unless we point them out to folks. BUT, we now can walk into most any place and see the imperfections in their tiling jobs so much easier now that we did some. So I think your work looks great. JMHO!