Finnish fishing boat overhaul [Splashed 2017]

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
As long as you get a good seal around your filters and exhaust fan, it should work good. I would recommend not pushing air in, but rather pushing air out. That way you will create negative pressure in the tent, which will prevent dust from escaping except through your filter. Looking forward to your progress!

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer
Ok! Sounds logical, thanks for the tip. Still waiting for the transparent plastic cover, it should arrive tomorrow.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
If you are going to do a lot of sanding, I can tell you the filters, either one or both, will have to be cleaned a lot. If those two filters are the only air movement options, they will fill up quickly. It really is amazing to see how fast. :thumb:

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer
Will do! I guess it's a good warning sign if I fall asleep while sanding...

Will change them often, and try to use the shop vac as much as possible while sanding as well. Thanks for the warning!

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer

Almost there! Done with the tent tomorrow. And a bonus pic from our fishing trip on sunday. No fish but great weather +13c!

Mikeopsycho

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Looking good! :encouragement: Catching fish is always a nice bonus, but not necessary in order to have a good day fishing. :fish2:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Looking good! :encouragement: Catching fish is always a nice bonus, but not necessary in order to have a good day fishing. :fish2:

Mike, you are certainly correct about that. Hunting AND fishing are in the same boat when it comes to having a great time. You don't need to bag any game or catch any fish. Just being out in nature is a mega refreshing mental reboot from the daily noise and routine. :thumb:

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer
Oh yes! I live in the city because of my job, but I'm trying to maximize the time out fishing/skiing/hiking. The sea is luckily 50m from my front door, after this boat is done it'll be much easier going out not catching fish :) All those other activities require serious transportation.

Started grinding yesterday, the tent is done. The fan blowing out seems to work well, no dust visibly creeping out!

Last edited:

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer

Sure don't like much, but it's a big step forward. Finally decided to go with this version of the plans. Made the middle engine hood big enough so that the engine can be lifted out if needed. Was planning to make the support structure removable but it would have been fiddly and eventually some water would have seeped through. This way it's still possible to do maintenance and be sure not to get any leaks. Another round of pb on monday and then it's glassing time.

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer
A bit concerned if it's sturdy enough. Those beams will need some serious layers of glass. I could always add a couple of removable fiberglass blocks underneath as support I guess...

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Red, I do like your storage lips in the picture. How did you make them? I could use that idea now. :thumb:

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer

They're very simple. Just round off the corners with fillet wax and glass first on the inside, then remove the melamine particle board mold and fillet and glass the insides if you want.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Thanks Red, very nice professional work. I honestly like that. I see in the very first picture, you have the form setup. But you also have what looks like masking tape applied below the form. What is that tape there for? :thumb:

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer
I waxed the melamine strips as an afterthought and taped the edges just in case I'd make a mess. Probably smarter to do before assembling (if at all, since the melamine don't stick to fb).

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I waxed the melamine strips as an afterthought and taped the edges just in case I'd make a mess. Probably smarter to do before assembling (if at all, since the melamine don't stick to fb).

I can see you've done this before. A really professional look indeed. I take it you are using some type filler to give the white look. I can say you have given me something new to work towards now. :thumb:

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer
Heh, I'm not a professional in any way, but with the help from everyone here I've learnt something at least. Not sure what you mean with filler, the corners in the photos were done with some marine caulk I had in store, but I'd recommend wax!

Fiddly work, tight spaces and glassing upwards is a pain.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Heh, I'm not a professional in any way, but with the help from everyone here I've learnt something at least. Not sure what you mean with filler, the corners in the photos were done with some marine caulk I had in store, but I'd recommend wax!

Fiddly work, tight spaces and glassing upwards is a pain.

Red, what I meant by filler is what you mixed for the fiberglass work. Did you use epoxy or polyester resin? And if you used polyester, did you mix anything in it to give the whitish final look? Looking at your lips, they look whitish (to me) and I was wonder what you may have mixed in the resin to get that look? I am going to try something now after seeing your work. :thumb:

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer
It's just the light I guess, it's plain polyester resin and mat. The whole thing will be topcoated with waxed gelcoat later!

Red Herring

Chief Petty Officer

Been glassing those same beams for one and a half week now! I'm exaggerating again, might call this done. A sledgehammer couldn't dent it, or so it feels at least. Did a quick test of glassing pipes, the results are good enough to use! Was a bit surprised. Still need to clean them up a bit though.