73 Slickcraft Jet Boat Restoration

Hibbitz

Cadet
I've been wanting to do take on some type of boat project for a while and though a jet drive would be cool because it is different. The goal for this boat is a fun weekend day boat that I can use to go to the beach and pull the kids on a tube.

The boat is a 1973 Slickcraft 18' apparently built in Michigan as a bit of a lake boat. I like that is has something of a V to handle a little chop. The engine and jet drive combo was originally a JX245 by OMC that was mated to a Jacuzzi YJ12 jet drive. The JX245 (from what I can tell) was a 307 chevy motor with some corvette internals. The previous owner didn't know a lot about the boat as he took in in trade for some work and never used it. The guy who gave it to him said it now has a "rebuilt" 350 that is a 4 bolt main engine in it. I've decoded the block and it is indeed a 4 bolt 350 but I don't know much else about the condition

2012-08-21180142.jpg

I knew going to look at the boat that it needed a floor. From all of my research on iBoats I was prepaired that it might need stringers too. The comments from the seller saying "they should be solid" didn't go far and when I looked at the side of what I would call the "ski box" or storage compartment in the floor I knew they were rotten. I could push my finger into the side where the wood was rotting.

I wanted a project and there is TONS of great info and people on here so I'm rolling up my sleves to see how this goes. I have a garage where it will be stored and I'll just keep plugging away over the winter.

Here are a few quick pictures of the boat and the work I've started removing the old rotten plywood floor and water soaked foam.

2012-08-20183554.jpg

I basically bought the boat for the value of the trailer alone and I know I'm up for some decent materials costs (resin, fiberglass, and wood) for just the floor/stringer project. I'll plan on a simple interior and the rewiring shouldn't be too difficult.

I'll welcome any suggestions regarding preping for the stringer replacement and I was able to save two of them that I'll use for templates for the replacements.

Attachments

• 2012-08-16 15.24.02.jpg
    2012-08-16 15.24.02.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

glnbnz

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 73 Slickcraft Jet Boat Restoration

Just signing on to witness the reconstruction :)

The only tip I have for now is when it comes time to mix your resin use the metric system. I is so much easier to get your mixture rates right.

Gator1996

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hibbitz
Good looking boat you have there and you're not wasting any time getting in it. I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out especially the jet drive.

Good luck, Gator

Hibbitz

Cadet

Thanks for the compliments guys and I am hoping this will be a really fun project. I don't know why I am so interested in the jet drive but it will definitely be something different. I think the boat is cool looking and a bit different. The teak swim platform he added is in great shape and a nice addition.

I knew removing the rotten floor would be a bit of work but I didn't count on the FOAM... ugh! That stuff was nasty and soaked with water!

2012-08-21190218.jpg

I now have the jet drive out and have successfully test run the engine.

2012-08-30183054.jpg

I am hoping (please... oh please) that the engine mounts are solid and from what I can tell only the front few inches on the port one has a bit of rot. If I need to replace them both then so be it but it would be nice if I can leave those, re-glass them, and start rebuilding from there.

2012-08-20183523.jpg

The good news is that after replacing the starter and cleaning the plugs......she runs!

Last edited:

Hibbitz

Cadet

Well I am bringing this thread back from the dead. I didn't abandon the project.... just got a new job and we all know what that can mean for our spare time.

I'll catch everyone up pretty quickly. No shocker here... just about everything in the boat was rotten so I've cleaned everything out.

2012-11-13115415.jpg

I built a cradle and she is now sitting in the garage where I can work on her during the winter.

2012-10-14174923.jpg

The decals were pretty chewed up on one side so I decided I'd go with the clean look until I figure out what she is going to look like. I also opted to ditch the bow and stern rails and will fill all the holes.

Clean_Sides_zpsff1a2779.jpg

Last edited:

Hibbitz

Cadet

I split the cap to get to the eye in the bow used for the trailer winch. It was loose and there was no access from the inside.

2013-09-16211701_zps4b3f997d.jpg

I am also checking on the fuel tank where I've just replaced the sending unit. I am suspicious of a repair made around the fitting that feeds the engine so the whole thing might be coming out for inspection. Might as well do it once and do it right.

2013-09-07234727_zps4eaca6f7.jpg

Last edited:

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Nice project. I'm from the area where those were made. That's a nice little boat, and the jet makes it interesting....

Oh, what's the other boat (haha) parked next to it?

Hibbitz

Cadet

A 1979 Jeep J10. It is a shortbed with a 360 and TH400. That was my last project. You have to have something to pull the boat (if I ever finish it) right...? I've done a few Jeeps and just thought that a boat would be a lot of fun.

2011-04-30110453.jpg

The jury is still out but in any restoration project you gotta get all the way down to the solid components and then start building back up from there.

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Yep, definitely. My Starcraft was down to bare shell. Going back together now.

That Jeep is sweet! Very nice.

Last edited:

Hibbitz

Cadet

A quick update but an important milestone in the project.... I am finally working with NEW wood. I am going with Douglas Fur for the two outside stringers and basically just replacing what was there from the factory. I am going to make some minor improvements on the inner stringers and add some bulkheads.

I was able to save one of the old stringers so it was simply a case of using it for a template.
2013-09-22185806_zpsa0c65a5f.jpg

Once I had the two cut out it was time to fit them in the boat. There were a good fit so I've got a little more clean up to do in the bow and the grindfest will finally be over.

2013-09-22191624_zpsf88462e3.jpg

2013-09-22213410_zps3ac39b0e.jpg

I should have the engine mounts done this week and ready to test fit. After that it is time or place a BIG order for resin and fiberglass and get to work!

glnbnz

Chief Petty Officer

Looking good...its nice to have the old stringers intact to be able to use as a template save time. :)

TJS

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Sounds and looks like a cool project. I have already rebuilt 2 jetboats however both with Berkley pumps. Rebuilding these pump are pretty easy but required some special tools as well as the sea loc manual. The sea loc manual has many pumps in there I think including Jacuzzi. The good thing about jet pumps is you can subject them to a lot of power and not have failures as in an outdrive, and interchangeability with impellers is cake. In fact I have changed impellers in the parking lot of the launch ramp . There are many jet boat sites out too with many helpful forums. There also are many many jet pump and performance parts companies. Hi-tech performance and jetboat performance comes to mind. If it were me a big block would be sitting in front of that pump as jet pumps absorb a lot of power and your boat is heavy compared to low gunnel jet boats. See my jet boat hot rod in my signature. I have since sold this boat.
PM me if you would like links to some really good technical forums.
T.J.

Hibbitz

Cadet

TJ - Thanks for the comments and good advice. I didn't know a lot about jets when I bought it but asked around a bit regarding the YJ pump. Sure enough it had some issues and a complete rebuild with new impeller was going to be some serious cash. I scored BIG and found a guy that had a completely rebuilt energized YJ pump that he sold for super cheap.....:D

Energized_YJ_Pump_zps33eb16cb.jpg

I've been on Performance Boats a bit and Tom at Jetboat Performance has been great and helped with a number of things already. Everything felt smooth but I decided I better take a look inside to identify the impeller (seller couldn't remember) and confirm it was rebuilt. It has a AA impeller which might be a bit much for my small block but everything looks brand new!

2013-03-31175749_zps47e93305.jpg

I hear ya on the big block but it just isn't in the budget at this point. I have everything I need for the current engine (manifolds risers) and picked up a set of vortec heads that will up the compression and hopefully help a bit. Since the boat is going to be a family lake / tubing boat I am hoping that I can squeeze 50 mph out of her when I'm done. If I am happy with the way she comes out and I use her a bunch then I'll look to repower at some point down the road.

Based on your experience any thoughts on the AA impeller with my "mild" 350? It should get out of the hole pretty well but based on charts I've found it looks like it may top out about 4200-4300 rpm.

Last edited:

TJS

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Go with b impeller. Turning a "AA" with a small block you will never get it to where you are making any power. You will not be happy. With a natural aspirated 454 (roller cam, alum heads) I was spinning a "B" impeller to 6200 RPMs. Then with the 8-71 blower and EFI I went to a stainless "A" impeller and spun that to 6000 RPMS. It was absolutely vilolent out of the hole. Nobody, I mean no body could holeshot me, not even highly supercharged PWC's. It accelerated so hard I had to re-inforce the seats. I had over a 300 foot rooster tail with a modified place diverter and a 4 degree wedge. Search (youtube) big block jet boat flyby and you will see me coming down the CT. river. Careful langage as it is not my video, I just happen to find it where someone was videoing me.
Yes Tom at JBP is good people. I got a nice loader from him. Even made the boat even faster.
If you need any help let me know. I would love to get a deep V jet like yours, and make it a sleeper.I have looked around for a slickcraft and they are very rare.
T.J.

Last edited:

TJS

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Looks like you need to socket to get the impeller off. I made one out of a short socket and cut it and then welded in thick pipe about 4 inches long to make a really deep socket. I also made a puller. You can see how I did it on my site.
http://www.tjsperformance.com/jetboat_tech.htm
T.J.

Last edited:

Hibbitz

Cadet

TJ,

That is sweet. Do you know what size the nut is? I've got a welder and might be able to fashion up something similar if I can source the socket to modify.

Kent

kryan2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That's a super nice cradle brother......

TJS

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have to look in the sea loc manual i think it is the same size as a berk.

TJS

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Sea loc did not say but the berk. is 1and thirteen sixteenths

Hibbitz

Cadet

TJ,

Ok, great. I'll see what I can find and go from there. It sounds like I need to reach out to Tom about a B impeller.

K