Sidewinder (Cobra) 16 SS

Status
Not open for further replies.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Sidewinder (Cobra) 16 SS

It must be Spring. All the projects are coming out of hiding. :)

GT1000000

Rear Admiral
Re: Sidewinder (Cobra) 16 SS

Glad to see you getting back on this project as winter thaws out and spring is sproinging for the snowed in bunch:watermelon:...already hitting the high 80's/low 90's down here south of the border...that's in the shade, mind y'all...:faint:
:D

Okay, these are the first pictures and I doubt any work will be accomplished until next spring.

Yes, it's fiberglass (itchy) and it was made in Canada. It is a 1974 however the hull design has not changed right thru 2012 models.

It is FULL of trash, neglected and in desperate need of work.

The seat cushions and backs are in very nice shape but weigh TONS since they are all water logged. I will be making new bases and replacing the foam.

The boat is designed with 1 (yes one) stringer and two knee braces. The deck is solid but who know what lies beneath!!

The steering works, the engine has T&T and is in salvageable shape. The engine cover has taken a beating and will need fiberglass work along with a new rubber seal.

The wiring is a mess....... all to be replaced.

The trailer needs stripping and painting along with some custom work. Good tires, bunks and once again poor wires.

The windshield is cracked (multiple places) and the hull NEEDS refinishing. Someone re-painted the hull over a poorly prepared surface. There is checking showing through the paint and the gel coat that was not painted feels like sandpaper. At one time the entire boat was a metal flake finish but no more.

Carpet is trashed.

Had a stereo that is hanging by wires and I doubt will work.

So this is the teaser thread......... Probably makes oops! happy for two reasons - fiberglass and made in Canada!!

I got four props with the motor, one in stainless and three aluminum. A bunch of life jackets and trash.

The original plan was to save the motor and trailer while trashing the hull however, it has quite a following. The Sidewinders were made in Canada and California. The Canadian ones had "Cobra" designations and were rated for higher horsepower. You tube is stuffed with videos of these boats.

The plan is to restore the hull and maybe add a pad. I understand that they chine walk like crazy without the pad. I am going to try to stay away from regular resins and use epoxy. I intend on the finish being completely stripped and faired then either awlgrip or a base coat/clear coat....... I doubt I will gel coat.

photo31_zpsc3a7da5d.jpg

View attachment 143254View attachment 143255View attachment 143256View attachment 143257
Pretty sure I just bought the exact boat! The windshield is in rough shape missing a chunk and a few cracks. Just wondering if anybody knows if the windshield from an 18' is the same as the 16'.

Status
Not open for further replies.