Sidewinder (Cobra) 16 SS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Okay, these are the first pictures and I doubt any work will be accomplished until next spring.

Yes, it's fiberglass (itchy) and it was made in Canada. It is a 1974 however the hull design has not changed right thru 2012 models.

It is FULL of trash, neglected and in desperate need of work.

The seat cushions and backs are in very nice shape but weigh TONS since they are all water logged. I will be making new bases and replacing the foam.

The boat is designed with 1 (yes one) stringer and two knee braces. The deck is solid but who know what lies beneath!!

The steering works, the engine has T&T and is in salvageable shape. The engine cover has taken a beating and will need fiberglass work along with a new rubber seal.

The wiring is a mess....... all to be replaced.

The trailer needs stripping and painting along with some custom work. Good tires, bunks and once again poor wires.

The windshield is cracked (multiple places) and the hull NEEDS refinishing. Someone re-painted the hull over a poorly prepared surface. There is checking showing through the paint and the gel coat that was not painted feels like sandpaper. At one time the entire boat was a metal flake finish but no more.

Carpet is trashed.

Had a stereo that is hanging by wires and I doubt will work.

So this is the teaser thread......... Probably makes oops! happy for two reasons - fiberglass and made in Canada!!

I got four props with the motor, one in stainless and three aluminum. A bunch of life jackets and trash.

The original plan was to save the motor and trailer while trashing the hull however, it has quite a following. The Sidewinders were made in Canada and California. The Canadian ones had "Cobra" designations and were rated for higher horsepower. You tube is stuffed with videos of these boats.

The plan is to restore the hull and maybe add a pad. I understand that they chine walk like crazy without the pad. I am going to try to stay away from regular resins and use epoxy. I intend on the finish being completely stripped and faired then either awlgrip or a base coat/clear coat....... I doubt I will gel coat.

photo31_zpsc3a7da5d.jpg

photo (32).JPGphoto (33).jpgphoto (35).JPGphoto (36).JPG

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Sidewinder (Cobra) 16 SS

UNBELIEVABLE!!! Bob_VT coming over to the DARK SIDE!!!!! Oh well it IS 2012 and the World is Coming to and End, so I guess was to be expected. LOVE the boat! Reminds me of archbuilders. I WILL be watching this one!!!!

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

Bob bought a glasser!!!! Nice!

Really cool rig.... It even came with the obligatory beer can (mine had 2 under the deck)...

Also, I am now a huge fun of epoxy resin as well... No hazmat shipping fees, no smell, and a little goes a long way...

Look forward to following along...

glnbnz

Chief Petty Officer

I would like to come aboard and watch this...

It is a very cool boat design :cool:

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Cool looking project you have there Bob!!!

m casey stock

Chief Petty Officer

Looks like that could be one fast ride! Looks real slick :)

saginawbayboater

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Nice boat Bob! Permission to come aboard?

Looking forward to the build.

At the risk of sounding stupid, what may I ask is the pad you are refering to?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Bob, pretty sure you're just supposed to take the outboard off and then landfill that big red outboard stand. :p

What HP is the outboard?

Bob_VT

Staff member

I have owned "darkside" fiberglass boats (and even a plastic coleman canoe at one time). The wife wants a bigger boat with a sundeck or a pontoon boat...... I have been shopping at looked at a few Islanders ........ one was not worth the salvage effort and the other went for stupid money with a rotted transom and deck.

I could not pass this deal and it is intriguing ......... return me to my go fast days.

Ez the motor is only a 1980 but it is the Holy Grail of the V-4 built prior to 1984........ yep, a 140 Crossflow with good compression across the board. (this is an inside thing with me and EZ about hunting for these motors). Of course a newer 140 Looper would be the pinnacle of our searches.

Here is the link to the 2012 model Sidewinder 16 SS http://www.sidewinderboats.com/ same exact hull.

Bob_VT

Staff member

UNBELIEVABLE!!! Bob_VT coming over to the DARK SIDE!!!!! Oh well it IS 2012 and the World is Coming to and End, so I guess was to be expected. LOVE the boat! Reminds me of archbuilders. I WILL be watching this one!!!!

Yup his boat and trailer were actually a great inspiration. I doubt I will get as detailed but his trailer modifications would look great too.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Well, one thing about the MFG, when they find a good design....They stick with it!!!!:D

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

NICE! A Widesinder (sorry, that's a **** DeBartolo malaprop from an old PowerBoat magazine article) is on my short list of go-fasts I am hoping to stumble across at some point!

For your files...

Attachments

• SidewinderAd1970.jpg
    SidewinderAd1970.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 2

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

Isn't Vermont one of the best places to find trashed-out boats?! Nice find.

kwik_uk

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi Bob,

Nice looking Sidewinder.

I rebuilt a Dateline Bikini (Sidewinder clone) earlier this year. The build log is in my sig. Slightly different interior layout, but maybe some of the info would prove useful.

Regards,
Mark

Bob_VT

Staff member

Hi Bob,

Nice looking Sidewinder.

I rebuilt a Dateline Bikini (Sidewinder clone) earlier this year. The build log is in my sig. Slightly different interior layout, but maybe some of the info would prove useful.

Regards,
Mark

Yes another inspiring project!!! Love the Mariner.......... your motor is actually a 150 hp at the powerhead and 135 at the prop. Beautiful job all around! My only comment is to scrap that temp gauge and go with a water pressure gauge or both ;)

Thanks

64osby

Admiral

Bob, Just thinking about all that grinding, sanding and kneeling makes my knees hurt. Hope yours do okay.

Congrats on the new boat, looks like fun. Anything for a happy wife huh.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Oh nooooooo! Bob's goin glassssss, aaaahhhhhhh, the humanity!:eek:

He was eyeballen an Islander and ended up with go fast glitter:eek:

Ah well, still love ya man:D

Bob_VT

Staff member

I am NOT going to surrender or sell the Starcraft 16SS ;) This is just an addition to the fleet ;D

Bob_VT

Staff member

Slower then slow but a tiny bit of progress. I am probably not going to do any hull restore work this Winter due to lack of a place to work. I intend on getting the motor pulled off soon and store that in my son's garage. There I will be able to go through the motor and get things cleaned up.

First on the list was an engine stand. I built this from 2x4's and some pieces of 2x6 but I also used construction adhesive, screws and lag bolts. The best part was I installed 4 rubber wheel casters under the platform. It will help move it around in the shop.

photo (38).jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.