Boat paint and water permeability to fiberglass

fishingfrenzy

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I've been doing much research but have gotten quite confused on fiberglass boat hulls and water permeability. I have a 1965 Boston Whaler in need of a paint (I am quite familiar with the Whaler specific forums). I don't plan on leaving the boat in the water, but want to be able to have that option. Do I need an epoxy barrier primer? What bottom paints out there are impervious to water penetration? I don't need anti fouling paint, I just want something that I can be assured that it won't have any issues to water penetration, especially with such an old hull.

I know painting hulls is a common topic here, but looking for something specific to bottom hulls that can be left in the water.

Thanks!

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: Boat paint and water permeability to fiberglass

Interlux InterProtect E2000, Comes in White or Gray.

fishingfrenzy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Again, grateful for the suggestion. Is that much better than the E2000 as the price seems to dictate?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

One is Single Stage the Other is Two part. The 2 parts seem to be more durable. However, one of our members, Angott, uses the single stage and says it is VERY durable so you might be able to get by using it. Not sure how much abuse your boat gets, but if it's pampered the 2000 might suit you well. It is much less of a hassle IMHO to apply, that's for sure.

fishingfrenzy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Pampered probably isn't the proper adjective for how I tend to use my boats, but this is my first fiberglass so I'm sure that will change. Searching with Google hasn't given me much to read up on with the ironside. Have you used it before? Thank you again for your response!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

No I have not, Just what andgott, has said and their website states. Call em and talk to their tech. I hear they are Super Helpful and really stand behind their products.

tpenfield

Staff member

One is Single Stage the Other is Two part. The 2 parts seem to be more durable. However, one of our members, Angott, uses the single stage and says it is VERY durable so you might be able to get by using it. Not sure how much abuse your boat gets, but if it's pampered the 2000 might suit you well. It is much less of a hassle IMHO to apply, that's for sure.

Both the Interprotect and the Superpaint are 2 part formulas, so they harden instead of dry. Interprotect is epoxy and Superpaint is polyurethane. Interprotect is a barrier coat (only), whereas Superpaint has a variety of uses.

fishingfrenzy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You guys are the best. Thank you for the information!

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

I've been doing much research but have gotten quite confused on fiberglass boat hulls and water permeability. I have a 1965 Boston Whaler in need of a paint (I am quite familiar with the Whaler specific forums). I don't plan on leaving the boat in the water, but want to be able to have that option. Do I need an epoxy barrier primer? What bottom paints out there are impervious to water penetration? I don't need anti fouling paint, I just want something that I can be assured that it won't have any issues to water penetration, especially with such an old hull.

I know painting hulls is a common topic here, but looking for something specific to bottom hulls that can be left in the water.

Thanks!

There is NO PAINT that will give you what you want.

You need to Gelcoat the bottom to give you the best resistance from water in the long run.

Sure you can go with the IP2000 .. but you have to Paint ( normally its bottom paint ).

There is nothing Impervious to water .. gel is your best bet for this kind of application for long term submerssion.

YD.

fishingfrenzy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Gel might be out of the budget for me. Aren't quality paints impervious to water penetration?

tpenfield

Staff member

Nothing is 100% . . . Interlux Interprotect E2000 is your best bet to prevent water penetration.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Gel might be out of the budget for me. Aren't quality paints impervious to water penetration?

If your talking Paints like awlgrip or imron ( something of that nature ) then NO .. they are not ment to be under the water.

There are Epoxy based bottom paints that have a look of a wet paint that might fit your application.

I have applied a few coatings of that nature .. but I have no long term reliability suggestions as of yet.

YD.