Restoring Teak

Railcar

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a Teak steering wheel on my boat that is suffering from age and weather. the pieces dont meet clean at the seams any more, and there is some shrinkage. Is is possible to soak in water or teak oil (like an axe handle) to get it to swell so I can spar varnish it, or is it a lost cause that needs to be replaced (I probably wont be able to replace with a teak and stianless wheel, those puppys are expensive)

100_4716.jpg

wellcraft-classic210

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Restoring Teak

The wood will swell if it soaks up water. But:

-- The direction it swells will be uot of your control and the amount will be duifficult to control.

-- Once its swollen the moisture will eventaully leave and the spar vasrnish will have a hard time adhering to wet wood.

So -- while you ndo not have a lot to loose -- its unlikely to work as hoped.

Replacing the wood is another option but would require some tools & skill. Hiring it out could get pricy as well.

Good luck!

Railcar

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Possibly use teak oil then? If it swells too much i can always sand it down, is it doesn't swell quite enough I could seal it up with spar varnish. Replacing the wood is out of the question, far too many other things need done to the boat to be able to monkey with a wheel.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

The teak will not swell endgrain wise .. probably wont swell at all ( its not a mohog boat plank ).

Forget about the swelling.

Sand it nice with some 120ish .. fill the cracks with some wood bedding compound ( not caulk ).

Then varnish it with what you want.

YD.