1974 Ouachita Convincer Restoration Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

cudaboy

Cadet
Hey Guys,

Glad to have found this site. Lots of great information and guides.
Let me begin saying that in no way am I a professional nor have ever restored a boat. ( wish me luck lol )

Ive wanted to get a "project boat" for a while now so that i can fix it and customize it my way.
it doesnt seem that hard and im pretty handy. So I went on my search and found a great deal on the 16' Ouachita Convincer
fiberglass boat. I got it for 200 bucks !!! I just had to jump on the deal. :D

Included in this deal was the Boat hull with center console, old motor ( i doubt this motor is repairable ), brand new teleflex steering cable, OMC throttle cables, gas tank, trailer in very very good condition, and new trailer lights.

""""The Boat has Carolin Skiff Stickers BUT its not a carolina skiff, its an Ouachita hull. """"

Now to the good stuff. The condition of the hull is not the best but its workable.

Deck has to be replaced - new foam, wood, and glass.
The transom still needs to be checked but i think its solid, the old motor is hanging on there
The outside of the hull has a few nicks and cracks so i would like to sand down the gel coat and repair the cracks, then re-gel coat. ( lots of work ).

Ive started the demo but its a slow process for me as the funds arent all there. I will post my progress as i go and ill be
asking questions too.

Any ideas, help or tips are always welcomed. :D

IMG_0640.jpg IMG_0639.jpg

IMG_0641.jpg IMG_0642.jpg

cudaboy

KC4ZQZ

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1974 Ouachita Convincer Restoration Project

Wow! cudaboy,

I can't believe how much your boat looks like mine! - even though mine is 14' with stick steering. I've got the same troughs down the sides, same courtesy lights, the same cover over the throttle/gear shift cables (which looks the same also), and I think, even the same trailer. I sincerely hope you're a young, energetic, and very enthusiastic man with lots of time and an equal amount of money.

I AM kidding of course, but it does involve a lot of "un-fun" work. Ouachita boats seem to be well-made and well glassed together. You picked a good one for a project boat. If you do it right and stick it out to the end, (and store it out of the weather) you'll have a boat that should last another 30-40 years. I've had mine since it was new and I liked the boat so I decided it was worth the effort. I'll be much happier when its all back together 'cause I'd just rather be fishing than working on my boat.

cudaboy

Cadet

Yea Charles, i was stoked to find a your restoration on the Ouachita, especially on a similar looking model. i tried researching it but i cant find much information on it.
i just turned 30 so i still have lots of energy lol, i hope hahaha. Money...well lets just say this will be a slow project depending of how much material im going to need.

Im really looking foward to completing this project as its been something ive wanted to do for a while.

I have a vision of what i would like for it to look like but there are a few things that have me wondering like :
-Moving the console to the center which means i will have to move wires and control cables under the deck. is this possible ?
Can i raise the deck in order to move the cables down under?

-Id like to make a cast deck in the front and also back.

Not sure yet on what to do with the cap. i was thinking of removing it or filling in the troughs with foam then a thin plywood with glass.

Id like to work on the outside of the hull too but for that im hoping you can tell me how you flipped your boat around. :confused:

what do you think ?

cudaboy

kfa4303

Banned

Cool find Cudaboy. Welcome to iboats. Are you gonna keep her side console, or convert it to center console? Here's a great general link for your old "Big Twin". Looks like an early-mid '60s Evinrude Lark 40 hp. If you look on the transom clamp, there should be a small riveted tag with both a model and serial number.

http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/04/s/columns/max/24/index.cfm

btw, I'm at the other end of the state. Way up in the frozen North of Tallahassee :) Go Noles!

KC4ZQZ

Petty Officer 2nd Class

cudaboy, as far as moving the console make sure you will still have sufficient room to get around it on one side. Here's a link to Jon Sob's thread. http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=492080&page=22 He did a nice wiring job on his and ran some pvc under the deck to feed wires thru. Do a search for key words (like "casting deck" etc.) and you'll find info on all sorts of ideas. Just be prepared to do lots of reading. After you get all the deck and wet foam out you'll start figuring out some options.

I personally like the troughs - they give me a place to lay rods, lures, drinks, all sorts of stuff while on the water. I hope you don't have to remove the cap because it's glassed on between the two lips and underneath on the inside and the back side of my splashwell was glassed to the front side of the transom. Like I said "well made"! Look under the cap where it meets the hull walls on the inside and you'll probably see strips of glass joining the cap to the inside of the walls all the way around. I had to replace my transom also, so I removed the cap. Fortunately, the inside glass delaminated from the transom plywood after I cut it around the perimeter of the splashwell.

Flippin' the boat is easy with a couple of come-alongs. I bought two from Lowes rated 1 ton ~$30 or so each. I built a contraption out of scrap wood (look at post #79 for pic) and bolted it to the back of the transom using all-thread thru the stern eye holes and the drain hole. If you get the bolt placed close to the center of mass the boat will almost spin over with one hand. Then just set it down on four stands and have at it. One word of caution - make sure your bow eye is in good shape before you hoist the boat. Mine had to be replaced first as it was almost rusted in two. Pull it out and check it first.

Also, keep a pad and pencil with you and make notes on everything - measurements, wiring, location of things, thickness of transom before and after you remove the cap (if you do these measurements will be VERY helpful when you put it all back) Just a few things to think about before you get too deep into it.

cudaboy

Cadet

hey kfa4303,
I'd like to to move the console to the center but im not sure if i have enough space under the deck to run the steering and throttle cables. the way it was setup was to run on the side. i was thinking maybe i can raise the deck by adding 2x4's. i have to rip the deck off first to have a good look at it.

thanks for the tip on the motor, ill check that this weekend. if its not too much money to repair the motor ill do it so i can have something till i can buy a newer one.

cudaboy
Cool find Cudaboy. Welcome to iboats. Are you gonna keep her side console, or convert it to center console? Here's a great general link for your old "Big Twin". Looks like an early-mid '60s Evinrude Lark 40 hp. If you look on the transom clamp, there should be a small riveted tag with both a model and serial number.

http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/04/s/columns/max/24/index.cfm

btw, I'm at the other end of the state. Way up in the frozen North of Tallahassee :) Go Noles!

Isa4325

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey guys, I too just purchase a OUACHITA Convincer to rebuild and fish Lake Conroe here in Willis, TX. She is a U16 with front mounted side console and a Chrysler 70 Magnapower Ignition Model 207HE Outboard. I would like to add some pictures for you but not seeing how. Oh wait a minute. I can't.

My problem for now is how do i attach a steering system to this motor, its all missing. From what I've seen there should be more parts attached to the motor in order to hook up a steering system. All i have is the rod coming out of the steering cable but no way to attach it to the motor (HELP). My intention is to move the console to the back utilizing a 10'-0" Steering and control cables. I started buffing the hull with a fiberglass polishing compound and the color is coming back very nicely. The floor has been fiberglassed, the bow storage looks nice but missing a door, and the stern drains well and the urethane filling in the floor is firm.

It's that blasted steering connection at the motor that is eating at my mind and at 70 yrs old there isn't that much left.

Status
Not open for further replies.