help me before i purchase awlgrip???

ratking20

Petty Officer 2nd Class
im going to be ordering some awlgrip for my deck soon.

i could use some help on how much to buy and what exactly i would be needing
ive been looking around and with all the reducers, primers, converters etc. and its all pretty confusing

i have a 22 foot bowrider. i estimate that one coat will cover about 160 sq feet of surface. with the side walls and back wall included. i read that this paint goes a long way.

what exactly is needed for this job. i will be rolling and tipping. lets just say i dont use primer. i would need enough topside paint. i would need some catalyst(is that the converter???) and would i need reducer?? im not really too sure whats NECESSARY.

i would like to prime it first too but i figured to start with the topside. i guess i would need some high yield primer, some catalyst and reducer too????

ratking20

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: help me before i purchase awlgrip???

everyone says that awlgrip goes a long way. would i be able to get 2 coats with a gallon of topside paint when adding the correct converter and reducer. my plan is to buy a gallon of primer, a gallon of topside paint, a gallon of brushing reducer, and 1/2 gallon of brushing converter????? is the primer even necessary or can i paint over my sanded down gelcoat?

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

everyone says that awlgrip goes a long way. would i be able to get 2 coats with a gallon of topside paint when adding the correct converter and reducer. my plan is to buy a gallon of primer, a gallon of topside paint, a gallon of brushing reducer, and 1/2 gallon of brushing converter????? is the primer even necessary or can i paint over my sanded down gelcoat?

I prime everything that is going to get painted.

You should have more then plenty material with what you posted. ( the reducer is only about 15 - 20 % so your way over good on that one ).

Your not working with Awcraft 2000 right .. ? That stuff cant be brushed/rolled or tipped. spray only.

YD.

ratking20

Petty Officer 2nd Class

im using the regular awlgrip not the 2000. i figured id be over. but am i way over to where i should buy less. this stuff is pretty expensive. i also read that the reducer is not necessary at all, ive read that on a few different forums. i can cut down on the reducer but thats not going to save me that much money anyway. maybe even get less primer?