• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse

We're excited to announce the launch of our NEW Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building section on iboats.com! See more details!

This new area was created specifically to meet the needs of those of you who participate in the iboats Boat Restoration, Building, and Hull Repair forum. To kick off the launch, we are giving away free product in every order over $100 as follows:

Spend $100-149: Get a free paint suit (Large only)
Spend $150-199: Get a free sandpaper finish pack & paint suit (Large only)
Spend $200-249: Get a free catalyst dispenser
Spend $250-299: Get a free Sufasolve hand wipes
Spend $300-349: Get a free Aqua Blue buffing compound (quart)
Spend $350-399: Get a free small tint kit
Spend $400+: Get a free Preval sprayer

To qualify for the free products, select any Fiberlay, Spectrum Fiberglass, System Three, or Gibco product.

Also, we have discounted our already low prices by another 5-15%. Stay tuned as we will be giving away 3 $100 iboats gift certificates from May to June to be used on the new fiberglass and epoxy products.

To view the new Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building, go to http://www.iboats.com/Boat-Paint-Repair-Maintenance-Gel-Coat-Cleaners-Carpet-Epoxy/dm/view_id.11
See more
See less

1961 StarCraft Seafarer/Restoration

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1961 StarCraft Seafarer/Restoration

I recently picked up this fine boat. My first boat, and second restore I hate fiberglass now. Found her on CL for $250. The wood transom was basically dust the bench seats were rotten. I love that she had no holes other than the drain, so with a little persuasion my wife agreed I should get it.
    This is how it looked when I brought it home.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	4bc2e90df67092d8377a29706156de55.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	147.8 KB
ID:	148481
    I believe the transom was the original from when it was built because it was wider at the bottom than the top. The only way I see to put it back that way is to remove the transom braces that are riveted to the hull. I'm no expert but I don't think 3/4" will hurt the strength of the transom. I decided to modify the transom for a long shaft engine, I shaped the filler myself just have to get it tig welded in.

Name:	f2c458ee44df7230b2ce54906ca88918.jpg
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	148490

When I removed the rear bench I found out the seats were solid mahogany and the rear had this tag underneath,, I assume it was placed there by a previous owner . I have Mahogany to put back in I will have to glue up with gorilla glue to get the width I need

Name:	4dc1ad5953cb9ab4be59b6cf6acdbaee.jpg
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	148482

I striped 51 years of paint in 2 days I noted at least 6 different colors. It was a lot of work to get it all off but I'd say all that paint kept the hull from corroding. Heres the cleaned hull

Name:	cfd83ba9460babdfe8ed59d2d47138cc.jpg
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	148487

Now shes ready for paint with a coat self etching primer.

Name:	699e9da320f51c56e63d146c6dd2291f.jpg
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	148489
    I the weather will cooperates I'm going to shoot the first coat of Black top coat next weekend, I want to get at least 3 coats.

Re: 1961 StarCraft Seafarer/Restoration

Welcome to iBoats! Nice looking boat! What brand of paint are you planning on using?
    1961 Lonestar Flamingo - SPLASHED...Kinda!!
    Fabricating Decks, Stringers, and Transoms
    Paint Your Boat with Tractor Paint

Comment

Originally posted by Woodonglass View Post
      Welcome to iBoats! Nice looking boat! What brand of paint are you planning on using?
      I'm working with a extremely tight budget, so I poured through this and other forums for low cost solutions. I have chosen to use rustoleum oil based enamel. I hope I don't get flamed for my choice. Perhaps it will last a couple years and I can refinish with a good quality paint. I just doesn't fit my budget to spend 100 or more on paint.

Comment

If you can find the hardener in WOG's paint your hull post:

"Paint Your Boat for Under $100 Bucks"

The rustoleum paint will hold up for a long time and be extremely hard. Great job stripping the hull!

Welcome to iboats dry dock.
        60 Glastron FireFlite 63 SC Jet:Bedliner SURVIVOR Fit 2B Paddled 57 Duracraft
        Money spent @Boat Restoration should be measured in Smiles & Pride
        Majic 3/2004~12/2011

Comment

update: 1961 StarCraft Seafarer/Restoration

First coat of paint sprayed this morning, This info was a great help ("Paint Your Boat for Under $100 Bucks") Thank You!
          enough with the chatter here's the pics.

Name:	3c53e50d17d680bd7dced19123ffe23c.jpg
Size:	152.0 KB
ID:	149022Click image for larger version

Name:	c7bc7a39d9d363f9f294dfd4115f24df.jpg
Size:	154.4 KB
ID:	149023

Comment

Re: update: 1961 StarCraft Seafarer/Restoration

Great looking spray job, how many coats is that so far?
            60 Glastron FireFlite 63 SC Jet:Bedliner SURVIVOR Fit 2B Paddled 57 Duracraft
            Money spent @Boat Restoration should be measured in Smiles & Pride
            Majic 3/2004~12/2011

Comment

Shiny! Very Darth Vaderey too (Death-Starcraft perhaps?)

Comment

Originally posted by WaterLoged View Post
                First coat of paint sprayed this morning, This info was a great help ("Paint Your Boat for Under $100 Bucks") Thank You!

If you used the Hardener, she'll be ready for the water in a week. Rocks and Gravel WILL scratch her but touch up is Easy. I think you'll like the paint.
                1961 Lonestar Flamingo - SPLASHED...Kinda!!
                Fabricating Decks, Stringers, and Transoms
                Paint Your Boat with Tractor Paint

Comment

Thanks! just 1 coat, I'm going to put at least 3 coats. This is my first attempt spaying anything from my Binks gun other than clear lacquer on wood working projects. It looks like an orange peel in places so I have to figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Woodonglass View Post
                    If you used the Hardener, she'll be ready for the water in a week. Rocks and Gravel WILL scratch her but touch up is Easy. I think you'll like the paint.

followed your guide very helpful!

Comment

Originally posted by kfa4303 View Post
                      Shiny! Very Darth Vaderey too (Death-Starcraft perhaps?)

LOL, must come up with a name not sure my wife would like that one.

Comment

Working...
                      X