1974 Larson Shark

marauder11

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok i made a post earlier about wanting to redo my deck on my boat. I pulled the carpet from under the dash and found the issue. Near where the hull comes up close to the floor there is foam poured on both sides. The floor is solid and the foam was glassed to the deck. The two ridges that are exactly the same on both sides is the foam. It is about a 1/4 inch higher. I pulled all the loose glass and foam from the area. My questions are has anyone ever seen this on a tri hull before and if i clean it up real good,sand, acetone clean can i glass over the foam to rejoin it to the deck.

Boat floor.jpg

I am not best with word or describing things. In the pic the white foam runs stern to bow. The stringer is to the left of the white and the fiberglass must follow under the foam to the hull. Any help please would be great.

marauder11

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1974 Larson Shark

In the hope that someone will chime in soon i will keep updating. Well i have removed carpet and everything is down to bear deck. For being almost 40 years old it looks brand new. It shows sign's of water staining but has a good coat of resin over it. I can only guess someone has maintain this before by redoing the resin. I found that at some point to access holes have been cut in and the reinstalled with a ton of resin over it. I pop the one under the dash open and looked under as far as i could looks dry and actually very clean under the deck. I still am not decided 100% if it is original deck or not does not really matter i guess. The one thing is on the gunnels there is a foam/fiberglass type mix sprayed on the sides. Does anyone know why they do this?

P.S
My original question of how to seal the foam back down to the fiberglass.
I am going to use PL to feather it out t the deck to get rid of the ridge.

marauder11

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sorry can post pics tomorrow to dark tonight

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade

instead of PL....how about using some PB mixed up?
confused, are you trying to re-use your existing foam?

marauder11

Petty Officer 2nd Class

No not reusing just recovering with resin fiberglass. What i found was at the front of the boat the deck does not go all the way to the sides. My local boat guy used to sell these boats. He looked at the pictures and said that's what he remembers them being like. I will post better pics when i get home. This is a tri hull so i am not sure why it is done like this. I was just going to use the pl to feather the ridge of the foam to the top of the deck so there is no ridge. The foam is only about 10 inches wide closest to the bow and angles back to the stern to nothing about 20 inches total length.

marauder11

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok here is the exact area as my first picture. I pulled the foam after trying to clean it up with the sanding wheel and it was moving. It was just used to level out the two dips you see there. Next question my thru hull fitting is leaking. Can i just re-silicone that or is it best to put a new one in. There was a small amount of water under the foam. Cleaned up and buddy is bringing his moisture tester tomorrow. Are they trustworthy. Picture is side ways compared to the first hoses are supposed to be at top of pic

Boat floor after clean up.jpg

marauder11

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Been along time and winter has given me the boating blues. I want summer back. Here is a pic of the finished floor. I am not sure what the dark spots are. The floor was solid and a few test holes returned dry wood. I would think that it is just staining .Finished resin.jpg

Boat floor with foams till on.jpgBoat floor 2.jpg

New computer has paint so i can maybe explain the situation better now. Anyways summer can not come soon enough. Happy new year.