Penetrol? Any one use it?

bigheaded5

Petty Officer 2nd Class
F Hull.jpgDoes any one have experience using PENETROL to remove oxidation and restore the finish to Gel coat? After the advice i got here, I was planning on compounding the boat...a good friend recommended PENETROL, so before I dive in I want to know

Is penetrol a FIX or a band aid

does it last or needs to be repeated and if so, how often?

I want to FIX the situation.... as of right now, Im going to compound then wax with a paste wax
The finish is an original mustard color gel Coat, 1972 Sportcraft.

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Penetrol? Any one use it?

Penetrol at best is a Band Aid The compound will be your best long term remedy. I'd use a Marie Polish and not wax. Check 3M products.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Does any one have experience using PENETROL to remove oxidation

Nothing removes oxidation aside from buffing ( worst case is sanding and buffing ).

Dont use this penetrol.

Its the same debate over again .. use Vaseline or Transmission fluid in your polish mix. Why not just spray down the whole boat with silicone spray..same results.

Petrol based fixes are just a temp thing. Probably hurt you more then help you in the long run.

YD.

bigheaded5

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thank you..... Thats what I suspected. In life we all want FAST, GOOD and CHEAP. You can only get two and maintain quality. Penotrol is all 3 lol

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Thank you..... Thats what I suspected. In life we all want FAST, GOOD and CHEAP. You can only get two and maintain quality. Penotrol is all 3 lol

No.. not its not all 3 mate ..

Its fast and cheap .. not good ..

I know the triangle that your speaking of .. it not in that formula.

YD.

bigheaded5

Petty Officer 2nd Class

...Ooops, I know it CANT be all 3...i meant to type..."and penetrol is all 3? LAUGH LAUGH LAUGH

In all my 47 years, i have NEVER had something that was fast, easy and cheap.....EVER! it simply can not be. Same applies to a woman :)

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Trust me you will NOT be happy with the results at all. I have seen it used and the results are horrible.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

In life we all want FAST, Quality and Cost.

Fixed it for ya ;)

i meant to type... i have NEVER had something that was fast, easy and cheap.....EVER! it simply can not be. Same applies to a woman :)

I disagree with ya .. Packed lunches are just that lol ;) .. I see these other guys going out for a few quick burgers or a finger pizza for 5 bucks/day while I snack on some left over yum yum dinner steak and potatoes :D .

On the woman thing .. That triangle slightly changes to "pick only one of the three " .. hope you get the Quality the first time.

Trust me you will NOT be happy with the results at all. I have seen it used and the results are horrible.

That might not be true in all cases .. he might be happy with the results. Looks good .. was cost effective .. cheap.. But how long will it last ? .. not very long. Quality counts.

Peace.

YD.

bigheaded5

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks lol

I went OLD SCHOOL and compounded then waxed.... starting to look great...