1974 critchfield 17 ft open bow transom replacement

busted-bayliner

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok guys here the story.
I bought this boat for next to nothing from a estate sale the family says it was stored in a basement garage since 1984 when there father passed. The registration sticker confirms that was the last time it was registered. I got the boat in may did some work to the 70 hp johnson and got it going again an put it on the water. The boat has done very well and we have enjoyed it this summer.
The last time we were out i noticed water in the bilage upon investigating i found the splashwell drain was a funky lil plastic deal that looks way to big and it wasnt sealed with anything ill have pics in a moment. Well i drilled a couple of test holes in the transom and found that it was pretty solid all around except around that drain hole at least 6 inches in any direction was nasty black wet shavings on the drill bit. I filled the splashwell with water an got in the boat an sure enough in the bilage started filling with water from the inside from that plug area.
so i have started my winter project yesterday took the engine off stored that in the garage. Started taking the rub rails off. i dont plan on removing the whole cap because i dont really have anywhere to store it. I am going to cut the cap right before the splashwell and remove it to do my work then glass it back together after the transom is removed an new one installed.
so heres a few pics
th_IMG_20120911_193506-1.jpg
This is a pic of the splashwell drain

This is the other side of the drain
th_IMG_20120911_193456-1.jpg

This is where i plan to cut (red line)
IMG_20120911_194208-1.jpg

I have removed the rub rails in the rear looks like the cap was sealed with something and riveted together (red circles are rivets)
th_IMG_20120911_193725-1.jpg

i have some of my material list i have some fiberglass mat and 2 gallons of resin plan on getting more need to get my wood i have a ton of chip brushes, wire brushes for grinding , my sander took a crap on me last transom job i did :facepalm: so ill have to get a new one but i have all winter :D

Any input or direction is appreciated. Feel free to give constructive criticism

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1974 critchfield 17 ft open bow transom replacement

You will also need to cut a portion of the rear deck. When you do, make sure and inspect the stringers and core sample them. Boats of this vintage will often times have issues with the stingers as well. Hopefully yours will be the exception!;)

busted-bayliner

Petty Officer 1st Class

You will also need to cut a portion of the rear deck. When you do, make sure and inspect the stringers and core sample them. Boats of this vintage will often times have issues with the stingers as well. Hopefully yours will be the exception!;)
i do plan on giving the stringers a once over once i have got into the gut process i will say the deck in the boat is solid im 252lbs an can jump around with out any flex and im hoping the the foam isnt soaked either the boat is pretty light and seems dry i hope all is well in that area or the wife is going to kill me lol

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Tell her it's ALL MY FAULT!!!!!:p:eek::D

busted-bayliner

Petty Officer 1st Class

lil update guys got the side rub rails off splashwell cut and removed without breaking it thank god . got the transom removed the center mass around where the engine bolts up was bad i mean bad lol the rest was good all around man it was a pain to get that wood out few pics more tomorrow

pics
IMG_20120912_171041.jpgIMG_20120912_171236.jpgIMG_20120912_183548.jpgIMG_20120912_184412.jpg

transom looks to be inch and a half two 3/4 inch pieces

jbcurt00

Staff member

The links in WoodOnGlass' signature line is exceptionally helpful for re-doing the transom, stringers & deck if you need them once you do some exploring their condition too.

Welcome to the dry dock at iboats. And glad you got to enjoy the boat this season.

busted-bayliner

Petty Officer 1st Class

Quick question, whats the best way to glue the two 3/4 inch for the transom pieces together? resin then PL or PL then resin ?
Im not to that point but seems i couldnt sleep thinking bout it :facepalm:

busted-bayliner

Petty Officer 1st Class

some more pics

IMG_20120913_121020.jpgIMG_20120913_121037.jpgIMG_20120913_121958.jpg

still need to sand an cut alot. Lots of prep work left lol

may be more updates tomorrow going outa town tomorrow afternoon

busted-bayliner

Petty Officer 1st Class

so i was thinking bout the floor it has old carpet in it i know it will hold moisture. Im on a small budget here with another baby on the way that will make 3.
so i wanna get ride of the carpet an maybe use garage floor paint with sand in it do you guys think that will hold up?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Nope. just use Rustoleum oil based paint. Punch some holes in a coffe can and have a friend sprinkle some sand on the wet paint when you roll it on. After it dries roll another coat or two over th sand and she'll last for years if you maintain her well