Wing-tip Stern Light

'57 'rude

Cadet
I have a '50's era boat that needs a stern light. I recently came across a couple of the following that I think are described as "wing-tip" stern lights:

SternLight1.jpg

Is anyone familiar with these or knows anything about them? The stern lights I've seen in the past don't have the reflectors and can be seen in all directions. Would this be period appropriate for the '50's?

Thanks,
Mark

jbcurt00

Staff member
Re: Wing-tip Stern Light

I've never seen a light like that before:
attachment.php

I wonder if the fins were for anything other then the look. Actually, I think they kind of look odd, but the original designer had a thought in mind, no telling what that might have been. If it sticks up high enough to be a 360degree light, I don't see any reason it couldn't be used as a stern light. Those fins shouldn't keep it from being seen in 360degrees.

You could look thru the hardware ads & brochures here, you might get lucky & find a match.

Either way, depending on the look & style of your 50's boat, it might do just great. As long as it's tall enough, it looks fairly short for a stern light.

Might PM Andgott, he seems to know a lot about vintage boats & based on his recent Lake & Sea posts, vintage hardware.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... Looks like a Mooring light to me,...

Many stern lights face only aft, 'n to the sides,....

My Old Town Atlantis is like that, 'n the windshield mounted moorin' light is also shrouded like that to keep light outa the cockpit...

andgott

Master Chief Petty Officer

That is a stern light, the 'wings' restrict it's visibility to 135*. It needs to be used with a masthead light on a power driven vessel, which shows for the other 225*, so you can see a white light from any direction-

nav-lights-diagram.jpg

ON a smaller boat, you can use a single white light that's visible through 360*

That light looks like an older one- Could be 50's vintage. I've got a TON of old lights, from the late 50's and early 60's. There are some really neat designs out there- What kind of boat are you putting it on??

'57 'rude

Cadet

Oh geez, sorry guys! I thought I was going to get a notice if anyone replied to my post and never did, so I thought no one had - until I ran across it today. Anyhow, thanks for the replies!

This will be going on a '58 Feather Craft Vagabond II with a Merc Mark 50. The bow light is a typical vintage Perko red/green, so it sounds like it wouldn't be up to code based on what you're saying for the 360? visibility. I doubt I will take this particular boat out at night, so I may just go with it anyhow and keep some sort of portable light for emergencies. Andgott, I would love to see the older lights you have. Like you said, there are a lot of interesting older designs.

Thanks again!
Mark