1992 Chris Craft Crowne 252

Status
Not open for further replies.

phrogpilot73

Recruit
Put in a bid on eBay, not expecting that we'd win the auction. Found out while we were on vacation in Ireland, and just took delivery. Decided we're going to name it "Innisfallen", in honor of where we were when we found out we won.

Had to coordinate delivery from Georgia, buy a trailer, and find a boat yard to get it delivered to - all while we were in Ireland. Luckily, the seller was very understanding. Unfortunately, I had to go back to work - so my wife had to handle receiving the boat, getting it on the new trailer (didn't come with a trailer), etc.

Going to be posting a bunch of stuff of the restoration, but here is what I've seen (on the surface, I'm afraid to see what happens when I start peeling back the onion) - almost the entire interior of the cuddy will have to be redone - but first, the hatch on the cuddy leading to the deck needs it's seal replaced, and the door to the cuddy needs to be fixed. Then I can start drying out the interior...

Good news is that hull, engine and battery all look to be good. I've never done a boat before - but I've built computers, laid floor tile, and just finished redoing my bathroom (to include ripping out a fiberglass shower enclosure and tiling it from floor to ceiling). I'm looking forward to it...

photo-8.jpg

Once we're ready to christen - here's the graphic for the name...

BoatName.jpg

GT1000000

Rear Admiral
Re: 1992 Chris Craft Crowne 252

Beautiful looking boat...congratulations...

Now we are just waiting to find out what under the onion's skin...:rolleyes:

The most important things to be concerned with are whether or not there is any rot/structural issues and whether the engine/driveline have any issues...those are by far the biggest and costliest concerns...the rest, like electrical, secondary mechanicals and cosmetics are much more tolerable...

Best of Luck and Have Fun!
GT1M

r.j.dawg

Ensign

Now that's a nice looking boat. Looking forward to more pics and following your progress. Congrats.
thumbs_up.gif

Phrog'swife

Recruit

So we've been able to do some work but not as much as I would have liked. We had the motor overhauled and the water pump fixed. We also resurrected the canvas enclosure. It's not exactly pretty but it works. Next up is bottom painting once we figure out how to get the boat down the driveway. It's going to be a tight fit. Once that's done she'll go into our slip.

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

Good looking project. Look forward to seeing you tackle it.

phrogpilot73

Recruit

It's been a while since we updated, but that's because it took forever to close on the short sale house. The one with the boat slip and the driveway with enough room to work on it. Up until then, it's been sitting in storage (which led to have to repair one of the trailer tires). Here's a picture of it, after we picked it up from the marina close to our old house. New batteries, new water pump, winterized, and new registration finally affixed.

32423_10151399369826457_300790195_n.jpg

Worked on cleaning it up, and realized other than the headliner/upholstery, it's in pretty damn good shape. Except for the marine radio. It was a POS. So, after many cussing as to why I wasn't getting 12 VDC off the hot lead for the existing wiring, I realized that the in-line fuse was bad (not the fuse itself, but the housing). Now we can hail Boats US if the motor is in worse shape then we thought.

radio_zpsdc89f20e.jpg

Just got a call from the upholsterer... The first (of many) seats are done. Nice dark royal blue & white.. Looking good!

seats_zpsa80ea54a.jpg

Right now, the boat is at the marina close to our new house, because I hit problems I couldn't figure out. Our throttle is pulling from the console, and the screws that hold it in place are stripped - and I can't use all my usual tricks. We also thought we could bottom paint it on our own. After we replaced the winch on the trailer (the old one was in bad shape), we tried to winch it back and no joy. This place quoted us $700 to bottom paint it. SOLD!

We're hoping we finally have it in the water next week, and we're not touching the cabin until the off season...

Last edited:

Jolenrolson

Cadet
I just bought a 92 252. Im looking for the owners manuals for it. Any ideas or anyone have a PDF file of one? You boat looks beautiful! Good job

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Jolenrolson

90daysold.PNG

Welcome aboard. As stated above, please start a new thread. In the new thread tell us what info you're looking for.

Have you checked with Chris Craft, they may have an archive?

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.