• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

We're excited to announce the launch of our NEW Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building section on iboats.com! See more details!

This new area was created specifically to meet the needs of those of you who participate in the iboats Boat Restoration, Building, and Hull Repair forum. To kick off the launch, we are giving away free product in every order over $100 as follows:

Spend $100-149: Get a free paint suit (Large only)
Spend $150-199: Get a free sandpaper finish pack & paint suit (Large only)
Spend $200-249: Get a free catalyst dispenser
Spend $250-299: Get a free Sufasolve hand wipes
Spend $300-349: Get a free Aqua Blue buffing compound (quart)
Spend $350-399: Get a free small tint kit
Spend $400+: Get a free Preval sprayer

To qualify for the free products, select any Fiberlay, Spectrum Fiberglass, System Three, or Gibco product.

Also, we have discounted our already low prices by another 5-15%. Stay tuned as we will be giving away 3 $100 iboats gift certificates from May to June to be used on the new fiberglass and epoxy products.

To view the new Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building, go to http://www.iboats.com/Boat-Paint-Repair-Maintenance-Gel-Coat-Cleaners-Carpet-Epoxy/dm/view_id.11
See more
See less

Performer Vagabond?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Performer Vagabond?

Cool boat Coastie. I have to say for its age, the wood in that boat is in unbelievable condition. I know you mentioned some production issues, if you had seen my 1988, you would have had a heart attack if you thought yours was bad. I'm going to tag along if you don't mind. Projects like this make me remember this is supposed to be fun.

Tip for carpet glue: a set up like this on my old electric drill made short work of mine 3M Paint And Rust Stripper 7771NA-CC: Paint & Home Decor : Walmart.com

Good Luck-Gator
    1988 Stingray SVB 192 Restoration

Comment

Gator, the wood was covered with some sort of vinyl tape that was tough as nails to get off, I could probably reuse the deck and replace the subdeck, the wood under the subdeck is questionable and the way it was attached is just pieces of csm with resin poured on it. The stringers appear to be made of cedar. As I pull them out I plan on using them for templates and replacing them with marine plywood and seal that before installation. I might be getting carried away or it may be some of the old training kicking in, but if you're going to go out in the water it better be right and solid.

Comment

Just a quick update, not a good one either, rain and t-storms. I tried grinding in the garage last month, still cleaning it out Forcast looks great this weekend, so with any luck at all will have the sides finished and possibly the transom out. I have been reading about bowing boats on roller trailers and think I may be wise to keep the old stringers in place until I get the new transom in, any thoughts on how I should proceed next?

Comment

an off the trailer cradle will help prevent hooking the hull (the hull bow you describe and only one of several problems of demo & an unsupported hull), but it really should have been done before the cap came off. The sides of glassers tend to sag away from each other, which pulls the bow & transom inward. Even minor changes can make cap fitment at putback difficult.

Might put the cap back on temporarily, use as few screws as you deem necessary to hold the hull & cap together. Build a support cradle, move the boat to the new cradle, and use the trailer (w/ cap support structure added) to store the cap.

To prevent hooked hulls is why many (tin boat owners too) convert roller bunks to wooden flat bunk trailers. Significantly more contact area w/ hull, which more evenly distributes the weight of the boat... Bunks have their own cons too though.
          60 Glastron FireFlite 63 SC Jet:Bedliner SURVIVOR Fit 2B Paddled 57 Duracraft
          Money spent @Boat Restoration should be measured in Smiles & Pride
          Majic 3/2004~12/2011

Comment

Thanks for the info on the support for the boat, I was wondering about it before I went after the stringer and this pretty much has decided it for me. Looks like a trip to the lumber store.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	145548f9f85e9a6246b20f2bf6b37b93.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	134.9 KB
ID:	173415Click image for larger version

Name:	42c28fe7d95124cdfdf8e6d2f3a8f96e.jpg
Size:	142.2 KB
ID:	173416Click image for larger version

Name:	008b4fdb8745a8d44e62d0de53b878aa.jpg
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	173417
              Just adding some pics of the tag and my helper.

Comment

Well, went to the Home Depot today and picked up the stuff for my rolling drydock. It's not pretty but will work once I get the bunkers on for support. Just need the neighbor to give me a hand putting the cap back on and I should be able to set it properly and not worry about the hull hooking. Suprisingly cheap, set me back $120.00 but will be able to use the wood for another project when done with the boat. I had just finished the first half of the stand and a T-storm hit with hail and rain, so had to drain the boat again, the drain hole appears to be about a 1/4 inch in diameter and it takes forever to drain. I want to put in a 1 inch drain to speed the process up, already have the brass through hull fitting and the tool to crip it. So another day on the stand then I can begin work again on the interior, depending on weather.
                Attached Files

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	bb6b797c3b907a319b3ccd29288d94b6.jpg
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	176456Click image for larger version

Name:	0909cb166cebf8ad1b9b18d102ab5b8b.jpg
Size:	145.7 KB
ID:	176457Click image for larger version

Name:	8ed8aa86f612277c8ad8bbed10a19155.jpg
Size:	147.2 KB
ID:	176458Click image for larger version

Name:	c5121f53d9ae9525f6497c47301baf00.jpg
Size:	146.9 KB
ID:	176459Click image for larger version

Name:	7a2cb40e360bc1ae0221a5c2306fe523.jpg
Size:	146.2 KB
ID:	176460I figure it's about time for an update now that the holiday is over. I took about a week to get the "drydock" built and then was gone for about 4 days out of town. I have been busy, slowly getting more grinding done. More pics to follow.

Comment

As you can see the deck is now out and the layout for the stringers is finally seeing sunlight for the first time in 50 years!Click image for larger version

Name:	06db5c1a37c56092fb06bdcd4fb224ae.jpg
Size:	147.9 KB
ID:	176462Click image for larger version

Name:	96ab1631cdd5c12975b47799b690b8c2.jpg
Size:	146.3 KB
ID:	176461Click image for larger version

Name:	e9a2058f6b97e6ebb9ea0f788f6366e4.jpg
Size:	145.4 KB
ID:	176463Click image for larger version

Name:	fc1ffdcd2f403c0606b57fd5f99d7a5f.jpg
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	176464Click image for larger version

Name:	2f9c8d7e3cd89df273a9c5405ff21b5e.jpg
Size:	145.7 KB
ID:	176465

Comment

Transom is out as of last night! Cutting out the stringers is a slow process, but I'm taking my time, all of the wood will be used as templates. Resin and glass will be here on Monday and I still have lots of cutting to do this weekend, (including the lawn!). Definitely getting to the end of the itchy part on the hull, top cap will need to have some holes patched and replace the wood in the dash, but I want to get the hull finished before I tackle that part. Click image for larger version

Name:	4dd6e058fe5f3e75dfe498b89d4186d4.jpg
Size:	148.1 KB
ID:	176467Click image for larger version

Name:	c4e43540fdc58b5ae83d9303f9ab4bad.jpg
Size:	148.4 KB
ID:	176466Click image for larger version

Name:	ef816f32084b8c2c22a8c40a0c269d0f.jpg
Size:	147.9 KB
ID:	176468Click image for larger version

Name:	8b535748f477ca323e0195092e530f25.jpg
Size:	147.7 KB
ID:	176469

Comment

Re: 1961 Performer Vagabond Deluxe Rebuild

Hi RC and welcome...
                        Would like to come aboard and enjoy this restoration of a really cool looking boat.
                        You are doing an amazing job so far and I, too, am really impressed with how good the wood looks for being as old as it is...
                        Keep up the great progress and have fun!
                        GT1M
                        Why a Fiberglass Boat?...Because they are,"The more beautiful, more seaworthy, more elegant, more easier to get chicks in, nicer, more common, more socially accepted, more politically correct boats."Quote by oops!
                        Tight Lines and Float, Float On!
                        Links to everything having to do with this restoration...
                        1988/2014 Glasstream Resto-Mod
                        INDEX...
                        PAGE ONE
                        PAGE TWO
                        PAGE THREE
                        PAGE FOUR
                        Trailer Thread

Comment

Just an update, pics will follow tomorrow or Friday. Still grinding out the shell, what a mess! I'm pulling tons of glass out, they went overboard with it, just plain sloppy work. I'm still not discouraged will keep at it, but starting to look like she may not see the water until next year. The weather has been in the mid to high 90's and that is way to hot to work in tyvex with a mask on. Still have through Sept up here and a good portion of Oct, then it's time to put her on the trailer and move to the garage for the Winter. Looks like 2014 for the launch, but as long as it's done right I'm willing to wait. Would like to get the stringers,transom in and the new deck on before the frost hits, as soon as that happens I'm in the jon boat and hunting duck and geese.

Comment

Love the boat and you seem to be making great progress so far.

Originally posted by RetiredCoastie View Post
                            ...starting to look like she may not see the water until next year.....
                            Same realization happened to me this year. After the initial brief frustration, I felt relief. Its a liberation to take the time and do it right.

Have fun

Chris
                            chconger

Current caretaker of;
                            Glastron GX 199
                            Glen L Tunnel Mite
                            C&C 33 Sloop
                            ...for the next guy.

My Glastron restore thread

Comment

Figured I would just give an update, boat is out of drydock and back on trailer in the garage until Spring, still some grinding to do on the hull, but the weather has not cooperated this year, so it looks like a splash Summer of 2014 The only thing that really sucks is that I have 5 gallons of poly sitting in the garage unopened and I think it's at the end of the shelf life, granted it is unopened, but not sure if it will be good in the Spring. On a good note, can get the truck in the garage for the Winter!

Comment

Couple of things you can do to maybe save the resin...
                                Since its unopened this first tip may not help too much, but it couldn't hurt either...
                                Flip the container over on its lid to maintain a wet seal around the opening...
                                Keep it in a cool dark place, light and heat are its enemy...
                                When you are ready to give it a go again, you may have some crystallized resin in there, but as long as the majority of it is still liquified, you can remove the "lumps" and use the rest...
                                The MEK-P is the most susceptible to going bad, but you can extend it's life somewhat by putting it in a couple of zip lock bags and storing it in the fridge...just be sure to let it reach ambient temperature before trying it out...
                                After all is said and done, mix up a small test batch and see how it performs...
                                Why a Fiberglass Boat?...Because they are,"The more beautiful, more seaworthy, more elegant, more easier to get chicks in, nicer, more common, more socially accepted, more politically correct boats."Quote by oops!
                                Tight Lines and Float, Float On!
                                Links to everything having to do with this restoration...
                                1988/2014 Glasstream Resto-Mod
                                INDEX...
                                PAGE ONE
                                PAGE TWO
                                PAGE THREE
                                PAGE FOUR
                                Trailer Thread

Comment

Working...
                                X