• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse

We're excited to announce the launch of our NEW Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building section on iboats.com! See more details!

This new area was created specifically to meet the needs of those of you who participate in the iboats Boat Restoration, Building, and Hull Repair forum. To kick off the launch, we are giving away free product in every order over $100 as follows:

Spend $100-149: Get a free paint suit (Large only)
Spend $150-199: Get a free sandpaper finish pack & paint suit (Large only)
Spend $200-249: Get a free catalyst dispenser
Spend $250-299: Get a free Sufasolve hand wipes
Spend $300-349: Get a free Aqua Blue buffing compound (quart)
Spend $350-399: Get a free small tint kit
Spend $400+: Get a free Preval sprayer

To qualify for the free products, select any Fiberlay, Spectrum Fiberglass, System Three, or Gibco product.

Also, we have discounted our already low prices by another 5-15%. Stay tuned as we will be giving away 3 $100 iboats gift certificates from May to June to be used on the new fiberglass and epoxy products.

To view the new Fiberglass & Epoxy Boat Repair & Building, go to http://www.iboats.com/Boat-Paint-Repair-Maintenance-Gel-Coat-Cleaners-Carpet-Epoxy/dm/view_id.11
See more
See less

12ft aluminum boat restoration

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12ft aluminum boat restoration

Hi everyone, I just picked up a old 12ft aluminum boat for free from a neighbor. But it has a huge dent the size of a dinner plate and roughly 1" deep. Is this going to affect the boat in any way other than looks? Should I try and bang it back in place? Also It is currently painted red but it has lots of scratch so I want to repaint it. Whats the best and cheapest way to do this? I don't want to spend too much money but I want it to look decent. This boat will be mainly used to go into shallow/rocky areas where I can't take my big boat.

Can I just pressure wash off the old paint and then use a good oil based paint followed by ordinary house paint and a clear coat?

I also want to install a plywood floor with carpet and insulation board for extra flotation. Whats the best way to do this?

One last thing, how fast will this thing go with a 50lb thrust trolling motor?

Thanks

Re: 12ft aluminum boat restoration

Free is a great price ecspicially if you have a means to register it with your state or.. just noticed you were from canada anywho.. The big dent try a rubber mallet or leave it just depends on you. If you want a nice looking little boat beat the dents out with the mallet with some sort of backer; ie hammer on one side and a flat piece of something on the other like a wooden block. \
    As far as paint take you some scotch bright or steel wool and rough up the old paint so the new paint will stick and paint It however you like.

From what I have read and heard so far on floors in alumium boats just don't use pressure treated wood in an aluminum boat it causes a reaction that will cause holes to form in you boat
    A 50 lb trolling motor will definately get you around a small lake but i'm sure you know you are not going to tube behind it.

Comment

Say I just sanded the old paint a bit and then just painted right over the original paint with ordinary house paint. Would it look okay? I don't mind if I have to repaint every couple years.

Here's some pictures of the boat.

Click image for larger version

Name:	d77a1d186c0fcd4bce19d546b077db41.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	144.1 KB
ID:	147103Click image for larger version

Name:	cef89ac93c762f1fcf2bbc8023f90fb1.jpg
Size:	141.9 KB
ID:	147104Click image for larger version

Name:	c077278c23c037bb7667e4a9b04be359.jpg
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	147105

Comment

Hi Gabe (and family). Welcome to iboats. Free boats are always good. Unless the dent is causing a leak, it's actually best to just leave it alone. Trying to beat it back out, would actually weaken the aluminum and do more harm than good. Not to worry, a few dents and dings give aluminum boats character. As jc alluded to, there are a few basic rules when it comes to working on aluminum boats. 1) Never use pressure treated lumber. The metalic preservatives in the wood will have a galvanic reaction with the hull which will lead to pitting and metal fatigue. 2)Instead, use non-PT exterior grade plywood and seal it using any one of a variety of methods. For your project, I would suggest simply using several coats Spart Urethane. You should be able to get both the wood and urethane at any hardware store. 3) Be sure to use stainless steel hardware to mount the transom and any other wooden components to the hull. While SS and aluminum are dissimilar metals, they will not have a similar galvanic reaction as the PT wood and hull. Use some 3M 5200 marine caulk/sealant on any through-hull bolts as well. You can get it at the hardware store too. Lots of folks use small SS sheet metal screws and/or aluminum pop rivets to attach the deck to the ribs of the hull, should you choose to install one yourself. That's really about it. (no PT wood, seal non-PT instead, use SS or aluminum hardware throughout). Good luck with the project. Holler if you get stuck, eh.

Comment

I'm not sure what the Canadian equivilant is, but use something like Rustoleum Pro:

For extra durability, hardness & shine, you can add an enamel hardener:

Prep for paint w/ 180grit wet/dry sandpaper

Prep bare aluminum with Zinc Chromate primer:
          [IMG]http://www.********************/mm5/graphics/00000001/MOE-025472_med.jpg[/IMG]

Here is a really helpful guide:
          "Paint Your Boat for Under $100 Bucks"
          60 Glastron FireFlite 63 SC Jet:Bedliner SURVIVOR Fit 2B Paddled 57 Duracraft
          Money spent @Boat Restoration should be measured in Smiles & Pride
          Majic 3/2004~12/2011

Comment

Originally posted by kfa4303 View Post
            Hi Gabe (and family). Welcome to iboats. Free boats are always good. Unless the dent is causing a leak, it's actually best to just leave it alone. Trying to beat it back out, would actually weaken the aluminum and do more harm than good. Not to worry, a few dents and dings give aluminum boats character. As jc alluded to, there are a few basic rules when it comes to working on aluminum boats. 1) Never use pressure treated lumber. The metalic preservatives in the wood will have a galvanic reaction with the hull which will lead to pitting and metal fatigue. 2)Instead, use non-PT exterior grade plywood and seal it using any one of a variety of methods. For your project, I would suggest simply using several coats Spart Urethane. You should be able to get both the wood and urethane at any hardware store. 3) Be sure to use stainless steel hardware to mount the transom and any other wooden components to the hull. While SS and aluminum are dissimilar metals, they will not have a similar galvanic reaction as the PT wood and hull. Use some 3M 5200 marine caulk/sealant on any through-hull bolts as well. You can get it at the hardware store too. Lots of folks use small SS sheet metal screws and/or aluminum pop rivets to attach the deck to the ribs of the hull, should you choose to install one yourself. That's really about it. (no PT wood, seal non-PT instead, use SS or aluminum hardware throughout). Good luck with the project. Holler if you get stuck, eh.
            Thank you very much for the info.

Comment

Originally posted by jbcurt00 View Post
              I'm not sure what the Canadian equivilant is, but use something like Rustoleum Pro:

For extra durability, hardness & shine, you can add an enamel hardener:

Prep for paint w/ 180grit wet/dry sandpaper

Prep bare aluminum with Zinc Chromate primer:
              [IMG]http://www.********************/mm5/graphics/00000001/MOE-025472_med.jpg[/IMG]

Here is a really helpful guide:
              "Paint Your Boat for Under $100 Bucks"
              Thanks man, hopefully I'll get it painted this weekend

Comment

I found this paint:
                http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en

and this primer:
                http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en

I can't find the zinc primer or the enamel hardener. However tremclad says that the paint is suitable for paint an aluminum boat as long as it is above the water liner. I also read on some forum that some guy said he used tremclad paint by without a primer and that it's been holding up for 15 years.

So I think I'm just going to lightly sand the current paint and use the tremclad rust paint. Even If it doesn't work I'm only out $10. I also don't want to spend too much money anyways since it's not my main boat.

I promise to post pics when I start working on it

EDIT: I just found a can of tremclad rust paint in fire red and a can of tremclad clear coat. So it looks like my paint job is going to be free.

Comment

free is good..... and fire red is hot!

Comment

Update:
                    I did a lot of work on the boat this weekend. I ended up removing most of the paint with a combination of a pressure washer, paint remover and a scraper. Next I washed the hull with soap and water and applied vinegar to the areas I was going to paint. After it all dried I taped it and did 1 coat of tremclad rustpaint. I'll do another coat next weekend.

Things to do:
                    - Finish painting the outside
                    - Paint the inside (should I just use the same paint I did on the outside?)
                    - Make/replace the rear corner brackets
                    - Replace the transom

Name:	c282b0fb9892875eb635b02aa12475e1.jpg
Size:	148.5 KB
ID:	147751

Name:	64771b9d90b2024e16aa2594a7d2bbc2.jpg
Size:	141.9 KB
ID:	147752

Name:	e8c81b9f431f953d462a709ddb819076.jpg
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	147753

Name:	3a8df71d2c1abfef2ae6a94c6b5c6afa.jpg
Size:	142.8 KB
ID:	147754

Oh and here's pic of one of the previous owners repair job. Should I trust it?
                    Attached Files

Comment

Oh and here's pic of one of the previous owners repair job. Should I trust it?
                      In the pic it looks like a good weld, so long as it doesn't leak I'd trust it.

Comment

How to you guys recommend replacing the transom brackets? Could I just take a 2x6 and cut it into a triangle shape and screw it on? Seems like the easiest and cheapest method.

Kinda like this:

Name:	a265a92346c7e33832b9b39de8da8841.jpg
Size:	2.2 KB
ID:	148237

Edit: Sorry not sure why that picture came out so small.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Hello again Gabe. You've got the right idea with the basic shape of the brace, but I would suggest you use aluminum angle/stock instead. One 10' stick of 1" x 1" x 1/8" and some small stainless steel nuts and bolts, or rivets and a bit of 3M 5200 on the portion you bolt/rivet through the floor, should be enough. You can get everything you need at most Lowes/Home Depot stores.

Name:	221d1b0b3c44bb626624d035360b444f.jpg
Size:	3.8 KB
ID:	148254

Comment

Originally posted by kfa4303 View Post
                            Hello again Gabe. You've got the right idea with the basic shape of the brace, but I would suggest you use aluminum angle/stock instead. One 10' stick of 1" x 1" x 1/8" and some small stainless steel nuts and bolts, or rivets and a bit of 3M 5200 on the portion you bolt/rivet through the floor, should be enough. You can get everything you need at most Lowes/Home Depot stores.

Name:	221d1b0b3c44bb626624d035360b444f.jpg
Size:	3.8 KB
ID:	148254
                            I think we have a misunderstanding I need the brackets for the rear corners.

Comment

I'm trying to post pics but it doesn't seem to be working so I'll just give a link to the photobucket.

Anyways I did a lot of work on the boat. I the 3rd and final coat of paint and it looks great. I also cut out a new transom.

http://s1141.photobucket.com/albums/.../12ft%20tinny/

Comment

Working...
                              X