12ft aluminum boat restoration

gabe33366

Seaman Apprentice
Hi everyone, I just picked up a old 12ft aluminum boat for free from a neighbor. But it has a huge dent the size of a dinner plate and roughly 1" deep. Is this going to affect the boat in any way other than looks? Should I try and bang it back in place? Also It is currently painted red but it has lots of scratch so I want to repaint it. Whats the best and cheapest way to do this? I don't want to spend too much money but I want it to look decent. This boat will be mainly used to go into shallow/rocky areas where I can't take my big boat.

Can I just pressure wash off the old paint and then use a good oil based paint followed by ordinary house paint and a clear coat?

I also want to install a plywood floor with carpet and insulation board for extra flotation. Whats the best way to do this?

One last thing, how fast will this thing go with a 50lb thrust trolling motor?

Thanks

jcchappy

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 12ft aluminum boat restoration

Free is a great price ecspicially if you have a means to register it with your state or.. just noticed you were from canada anywho.. The big dent try a rubber mallet or leave it just depends on you. If you want a nice looking little boat beat the dents out with the mallet with some sort of backer; ie hammer on one side and a flat piece of something on the other like a wooden block. \
As far as paint take you some scotch bright or steel wool and rough up the old paint so the new paint will stick and paint It however you like.

From what I have read and heard so far on floors in alumium boats just don't use pressure treated wood in an aluminum boat it causes a reaction that will cause holes to form in you boat
A 50 lb trolling motor will definately get you around a small lake but i'm sure you know you are not going to tube behind it.

gabe33366

Seaman Apprentice

Say I just sanded the old paint a bit and then just painted right over the original paint with ordinary house paint. Would it look okay? I don't mind if I have to repaint every couple years.

Here's some pictures of the boat.

2012-09-03 18.27.06.jpg2012-09-03 18.27.52.jpg2012-09-03 18.27.56.jpg

kfa4303

Banned

Hi Gabe (and family). Welcome to iboats. Free boats are always good. Unless the dent is causing a leak, it's actually best to just leave it alone. Trying to beat it back out, would actually weaken the aluminum and do more harm than good. Not to worry, a few dents and dings give aluminum boats character. As jc alluded to, there are a few basic rules when it comes to working on aluminum boats. 1) Never use pressure treated lumber. The metalic preservatives in the wood will have a galvanic reaction with the hull which will lead to pitting and metal fatigue. 2)Instead, use non-PT exterior grade plywood and seal it using any one of a variety of methods. For your project, I would suggest simply using several coats Spart Urethane. You should be able to get both the wood and urethane at any hardware store. 3) Be sure to use stainless steel hardware to mount the transom and any other wooden components to the hull. While SS and aluminum are dissimilar metals, they will not have a similar galvanic reaction as the PT wood and hull. Use some 3M 5200 marine caulk/sealant on any through-hull bolts as well. You can get it at the hardware store too. Lots of folks use small SS sheet metal screws and/or aluminum pop rivets to attach the deck to the ribs of the hull, should you choose to install one yourself. That's really about it. (no PT wood, seal non-PT instead, use SS or aluminum hardware throughout). Good luck with the project. Holler if you get stuck, eh.

jbcurt00

Staff member

I'm not sure what the Canadian equivilant is, but use something like Rustoleum Pro:
%24%28KGrHqJ,%21iYE3cPgIbilBOM1ynOutQ%7E%7E0_35.JPG

For extra durability, hardness & shine, you can add an enamel hardener:
Valspar-18-4625-HPT-rw-151303-217809.jpg

Prep for paint w/ 180grit wet/dry sandpaper

Prep bare aluminum with Zinc Chromate primer:
MOE-025472_med.jpg

Here is a really helpful guide:
"Paint Your Boat for Under $100 Bucks"

gabe33366

Seaman Apprentice

Hi Gabe (and family). Welcome to iboats. Free boats are always good. Unless the dent is causing a leak, it's actually best to just leave it alone. Trying to beat it back out, would actually weaken the aluminum and do more harm than good. Not to worry, a few dents and dings give aluminum boats character. As jc alluded to, there are a few basic rules when it comes to working on aluminum boats. 1) Never use pressure treated lumber. The metalic preservatives in the wood will have a galvanic reaction with the hull which will lead to pitting and metal fatigue. 2)Instead, use non-PT exterior grade plywood and seal it using any one of a variety of methods. For your project, I would suggest simply using several coats Spart Urethane. You should be able to get both the wood and urethane at any hardware store. 3) Be sure to use stainless steel hardware to mount the transom and any other wooden components to the hull. While SS and aluminum are dissimilar metals, they will not have a similar galvanic reaction as the PT wood and hull. Use some 3M 5200 marine caulk/sealant on any through-hull bolts as well. You can get it at the hardware store too. Lots of folks use small SS sheet metal screws and/or aluminum pop rivets to attach the deck to the ribs of the hull, should you choose to install one yourself. That's really about it. (no PT wood, seal non-PT instead, use SS or aluminum hardware throughout). Good luck with the project. Holler if you get stuck, eh.

Thank you very much for the info.

gabe33366

Seaman Apprentice

I'm not sure what the Canadian equivilant is, but use something like Rustoleum Pro:
%24%28KGrHqJ,%21iYE3cPgIbilBOM1ynOutQ%7E%7E0_35.JPG

For extra durability, hardness & shine, you can add an enamel hardener:
Valspar-18-4625-HPT-rw-151303-217809.jpg

Prep for paint w/ 180grit wet/dry sandpaper

Prep bare aluminum with Zinc Chromate primer:
MOE-025472_med.jpg

Here is a really helpful guide:
"Paint Your Boat for Under $100 Bucks"

Thanks man, hopefully I'll get it painted this weekend

gabe33366

Seaman Apprentice

I found this paint:
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brow...P/Tremclad+Rust+Paint,+Fire+Red.jsp?locale=en

and this primer:
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brow...+Galvanized+Metal+White+Aerosol.jsp?locale=en

I can't find the zinc primer or the enamel hardener. However tremclad says that the paint is suitable for paint an aluminum boat as long as it is above the water liner. I also read on some forum that some guy said he used tremclad paint by without a primer and that it's been holding up for 15 years.

So I think I'm just going to lightly sand the current paint and use the tremclad rust paint. Even If it doesn't work I'm only out $10. I also don't want to spend too much money anyways since it's not my main boat.

I promise to post pics when I start working on it :)

EDIT: I just found a can of tremclad rust paint in fire red and a can of tremclad clear coat. So it looks like my paint job is going to be free. :D

kfa4303

Banned

free is good..... :) and fire red is hot!

gabe33366

Seaman Apprentice

Update:
I did a lot of work on the boat this weekend. I ended up removing most of the paint with a combination of a pressure washer, paint remover and a scraper. Next I washed the hull with soap and water and applied vinegar to the areas I was going to paint. After it all dried I taped it and did 1 coat of tremclad rustpaint. I'll do another coat next weekend.

Things to do:
- Finish painting the outside
- Paint the inside (should I just use the same paint I did on the outside?)
- Make/replace the rear corner brackets
- Replace the transom

GOPR5998.jpg
GOPR5999.jpg
GOPR6007.jpg
GOPR6014.jpg

Oh and here's pic of one of the previous owners repair job. Should I trust it?

Attachments

• GOPR5977.jpg
    GOPR5977.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 0

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

Oh and here's pic of one of the previous owners repair job. Should I trust it?

In the pic it looks like a good weld, so long as it doesn't leak I'd trust it.

gabe33366

Seaman Apprentice

How to you guys recommend replacing the transom brackets? Could I just take a 2x6 and cut it into a triangle shape and screw it on? Seems like the easiest and cheapest method.

Kinda like this:
Untitled.jpg

Edit: Sorry not sure why that picture came out so small.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    2.3 KB · Views: 0

kfa4303

Banned

Hello again Gabe. You've got the right idea with the basic shape of the brace, but I would suggest you use aluminum angle/stock instead. One 10' stick of 1" x 1" x 1/8" and some small stainless steel nuts and bolts, or rivets and a bit of 3M 5200 on the portion you bolt/rivet through the floor, should be enough. You can get everything you need at most Lowes/Home Depot stores.

braces.jpg

gabe33366

Seaman Apprentice

Hello again Gabe. You've got the right idea with the basic shape of the brace, but I would suggest you use aluminum angle/stock instead. One 10' stick of 1" x 1" x 1/8" and some small stainless steel nuts and bolts, or rivets and a bit of 3M 5200 on the portion you bolt/rivet through the floor, should be enough. You can get everything you need at most Lowes/Home Depot stores.

View attachment 168199

I think we have a misunderstanding I need the brackets for the rear corners.

kfa4303

Banned

Hello again Gabe. The paint looks good. Generally speaking, silicone (aka "silly cone") is a no-no in boats. Instead, you'll need a spreadable/paintable product to seal the wood on your transom. For your purposes, I would suggest you simply get a quart of Spar Urethane from the hardware/marine store. It's a clear product that will seal the wood and offer UV protection. If you apply 3-4 coats properly, it will last many, many, many moons. You can even paint it, if you want. However, be sure you apply it AFTER you've pre-drilled all of the holes for the transom hardware. Once it cures, you can then mount the transom to the hull using STAINLESS STEEL hardware dipped in a bit of 3M 5200 marine caulk. It's a white marine adhesive/sealant that is UV resistant and dries strong, but flexible. You should be able to find it at most Lowes/HD/marine stores. It's a little gloopy, but will clean up with a bit of acetone. That's really about it. 1) cut transom, pre-drill holes 2) seal with Spar Urethane 3) Mount with stainless hardware dipped in 3M 5200. Good luck.

Spar Varnish 2.jpgspar urethane.jpg5200.jpg

Valley Boater

Petty Officer 3rd Class

In answer to projected speed in your boat with 50 lb. thrust electric - I have a similar sized 12' aluminum boat and I put a 55 lb. motor & new 12 v battery on the boat with 300 pounds of man & dog in the boat and hit a blazing speed of 3 mph on top speed (using a GPS for determining speed) on a calm fresh water lake, no wind assist!